• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP Non-Typical: 6.5 SAUM or 300 WSM?

VYD

Ambush Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
Houston, TX
Really like this one. Always wanted to have a high quality self-contained hunting rifle.
Since I have .308, I am thinking about something flatter and faster but with a ton of energy to 1000+ yards for steel.
Has to be short action. My thinking is to get it in 6.5 SAUM or 300 WSM.
The ballistics are somewhat similar between 140 gr SAUM and 165 gr WSM. Wonder if a larger and heavier WSM will have an advantage.
I assume the recoil is about the same?
Cost-wise, I realize 6.5 will be higher.
I know I am missing something here so help me out on this one please.

.300WSM is (reportedly) hot right now in F Open, and it is being used to push 230 Bergers really hard, and I suspect you'll find lots of current info about loading for it. I have a .300WSM which I had been using a few years ago with Berger 210VLDs at 2775 fps (not hot by today's hotness standards, my F Class beginner's gun) and I was and am very pleased with it. It has about 1900 rounds on it now, doesn't get used much anymore since I am shooting FTR now, but I have yet to have a barrel-life problem with it though I haven't shot it in a LR match lately. Recoil is obviously stouter than the FTR gun in same config and weight (about 17.2 pounds) but managable as long as you shoulder it firmly. I'm on 6th loading with Norma brass, as long as I anneal I get no issues. Necks will crack if you don't anneal. Primer pockets still reasonably firm. The load I described still has a bit under 1100 ft-lbs of energy at 1000 yards (sea level). I had very little trouble tuning the load.

I know nothing about 6.5 SAUM, though I expect you'll get less barrel life and flatter shooting / better wind bucking.

Edit: I am very glad I bought the 300WSM and when it is time to rebarrel it it will be born again as a 300WSM. I have older Alpha magazines for it which work fine, though for long loads I needed to notch the feed ramp on the receiver.

Last edited:
I vote for 300WSM. I'm running the 215 Berger Hybrids at 2940 out of a 26" barrel with 61.8 grains of powder. It beats the 6.5SAUM in wind drift and energy, but the 6.5 is just a hair flatter at 1000. More recoil with the WSM, and I suspect barrel life won't be much worse with the WSM than the 6.5. I'm at 5 reloads with my Norma brass and I suspect it will last a long time. Point the 215 Bergers and you are somewhere a little over .700 BC.

I have both the 6.5 SAUM and 300 WSM barrels for my rifle but I'm not going to play with the 6.5 for a while since seeing the results I'm getting with the WSM.

Looks like no definite answer. For a lighter gun such as Non-Typical 6.5 might be a better ticket though...
I was watching Tyler Kemp's videos with .260 Non-Typical where he took it to 700 yards. Very impressive but I wanted something flatter and faster. Barrel's life doesn't concern me that much, I won't be shooting thousands of rounds per year anyway.

Thank you, Sendero Man. You think brass availability will change? It would be nice to see Match loads ready to go, also...

What will you be hunting with it?

The 6.5 will be easier on the shooter but will cost more in time (lack of componuts/case prep) and/or money (buying brass or loaded ammo from Copper Creek). The 300wsm being just the opposite.

I shoot 7wsm and I hate not being able to find brass and 180gr hunting VLD's and I would rather not mess with 270/300wsm brass to shoot my 7mm. The 7mm saum brass which produces the 6.5 saum 4s is currently an enigma.

Personally, if it were me, I would go with the 300wsm with a heavier barrel and a break.