• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gap PPR and 5 round accurate mag issue

Slab74

Bullets, BBQ, and Bourbon Connoisseur
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2019
So I wrote about this issue during my review, but after looking at the problem again, I think I need some advice. This is my first custom action so never had this problem before. First the mag barely fits into the manners mini chassis, it has to line up perfect to go in and loading the mag is a task all in its self. During my first range trip I mainly single fed the rifle. When I used the mag, it was hard to strip the round off the feed lips. One the round cleared, it was smooth sailing. Today I decided to put the gun in my cleaning vice and see what was going on. See pics below. With a full mag I could not get the bolt to move the top round forward standing beside the gun. I had to get behind it a jam the bolt to get it to move. Once it moved the bold slowly pushed the round down the feed lips and I could see the scratches on the case. The bolt was not touching the lips at all. I went back and looked at my spent brass and saw the same thing with the ones that I had mag fed. I bought this mag because GAP (Jeremy?) told me that it was the mag they all run and that it was it the one that ran 100%. It is the long oal version. To be clear, I am not blaming GAP or their advice. Any ideas? I bought prime ammo for the Peterson brass, so I don’t want to carve it up every time I shoot and the effort to strip the round from the mag is ridiculous.
40D03ECD-10FD-41D5-8007-90B54B13FF28.jpeg
F91C75C7-E9AF-4A8B-BFC4-C73EA2B0166A.jpeg
You can see the scratches in the shadows. They line up with the feed lips. Also this is the only mag I have right now. 7238CEAF-8DEB-4F2F-BADA-C6E70D7F4F67.jpeg

I should also add that if you load the mag with the bolt open, you can’t feed the first round, or it takes more effort that I am comfortable using on a bolt. If you put the mag in with the bolt closed and cycle, it will go, but is still very hard.

You will need to “tune” the feed lips on your mag. Basically open them up a bit to forgive some tension. 99% of the time this needs to be done with all customs. If you want super smooth and scratch free feeding, the magpul AICS (polymer) Mags are the way to go....if they work in your system.

I just realized what a passive aggressive douche I sounded like in my OP. I should not have name dropped.

I just realized what a passive aggressive douche I sounded like in my OP. I should not have name dropped.
Imho thats neither here nor there, you have a problem and want it fixed. The metal mags are primarily stamped and the tolerances can change in production,ie;some will have tighter tolerances and some will feed perfect from the get go. Like mentioned above, either "hand tune" the mag feed lips by sanding or even bending the lips outward(towards the sides) to allow the rounds to come up a bit more. Thats from my experiences, mag "tuning" for proper feed is talked about alot with custom rigs, just saying. Hope you figure it out .

-Reagan

I did some adjusting and it seemed to help. I’m going to order a tool before I go any farther and probably a magpul to test. Thanks.

Reactions: Widowmaker0001
So, I adjusted the feed lips again and it seemed to help. Went for my second range trip today and as I loaded the mag with the 5th round, 4 rounds flew out of the mag. I went home and adjusted the lips again and no go again. I do have the mag without a binder plate, could that be the issue?

Round three. I moved the feed lips down and the mag ran 100% for 40 rounds today. Yeah. Thanks for all the help from the hide.

If you get fed up with it, I’d like to be first in line for a chance to buy it from you.

I am glad that you seem to be making progress with the feed lips. Use calipers as stated above. Little at a time. You’ll find the sweet spot👍🏻