• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes GAP Rock on order, Nightforce or Leupold?

NH Forester

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2011
White Mtn Region, NH
I was considering a Mark 4 3.5-10 Ill. Mildot or the NF 2.5-10 Ill. Mildot Compact. I wish I could get a matte black Mark 4 with M2 turrets and still have the Illumination but other than custom I think that's only available in FDE. I was thinking the NF may be just the ticket for the Rock, especially if I use it for a little hunting. I live in densely forested, mountain country so the 2.5 would be handy. I also do not really care for the Mark 4 battery placement. Thoughts?

Re: GAP Rock on order, Nightforce or Leupold?

I'd get the Leupold of the two listed, except I'd make sure I got it in a FFP TMR with M5 knobs. The side focus is necessary for a precision rifle.

Personally, I wouldn't choose either one.

What about a NF 3.5-15X?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd get the Leupold of the two listed, except I'd make sure I got it in a FFP TMR with M5 knobs. The side focus is necessary for a precision rifle.

Personally, I wouldn't choose either one. </div></div>

I initially thought the NF had side parallax adjustment but I have since researched that optic more.

I still like the Mark 4 3.5-10 but I hear what you're saying on the FFP TMR, That was/is also a consideration. Guessing by GAP's wait time I will have a scope here long before I have the rifle it's intended for.... Thanks.

NF because of it's durability and the turrets track true.

Parallax adjustment on a 10x scope is NOT necessary...hence the reason you do not see it on alot of 10x scopes.

I run the 2.5-10 NF on hunting rigs... been very happy with them ~!

son's whitetail on a 7mm-08
IMG_05596.jpg

6x47 Lapua coyote rig
3_outta_4.jpg

I have a Leupold Mark IV 6.5 x 20 LRT and the side focus has quite a bit of backlash (a known problem with Leupold).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
3_outta_4.jpg
</div></div> Nice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Night poacher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
3_outta_4.jpg
</div></div> Nice!</div></div>

No FMJ's used here folks...move along...
grin.gif
Great Photo!

I was just in the same position--only worse--had a basic custom GAP in 308 coming and a Rock in 300WM. Ended up going with 5.5-22 NXS on both. Picked up a used 56mm with high speed but no ZS here just today and got a new 50mm with hs and zs from a local shop.

I'm a lifetime Leupold fan--still am. My FIL is a Swarovski dealer and I still shoot Leupold on all my hunting rigs. But these two rifles are getting NF--largely based upon their rugged reputation and advise from helpful folks here with far more experience with these scopes than I.

Good luck. Honestly cannot think you can go wrong with either.

NF for the fact that they are internally superior and offer h best reticle's. Glass is comparable IMO. Love the turrets an the ZS

Nightforce by far and away. The NF is a much tougher scope and the clicks are much better.
JC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce by far and away. The NF is a much tougher scope and the clicks are much better.
JC </div></div>

Have to agree with Jerry1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NF because of it's durability and the turrets track true.</div></div>

^^^^^ This!

I have the NF 2.5-10 on my hunting rifle as others here do and it's an amazing scope. Worth every penny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd get the Leupold of the two listed, except I'd make sure I got it in a FFP TMR with M5 knobs. The side focus is necessary for a precision rifle.

Personally, I wouldn't choose either one.</div></div>

I could not agree more.

I'd opt for the NF F1 for a GAP Rock. Its a perfect match for that rifle.

i went through a similar dilemma about a year ago when upgrading glass. i used my bosses rifle a lot all summer leading up to last february and he has a nice NXS. i also put a significant amount of rounds through a buddy's rifle with a Mk4 ER/T on it, and i actually liked the glass itself better on the leupold. it has less features but is FFP, and the M5 knobs were nice. Since i was used to the MOA adjustments more than the mil/mil i bought my leupold with MOA M1 knobs. this following winter i will be having leupold change them out to M5, like i should have bought up front. its my only regret.

To each their own and others will disagree, but i recommend the leupold.

-Paulus