• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP Templar V II receiver photographs in the white

hohlspitz

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2006
I thought it would be helpful to see the bare receiver in the white before anything gets done to it.

templarviifullsidebolth.jpg

templarviifullsidelogo.jpg

templarviiplacarddetail.jpg

templarviifrontringdeta.jpg

Enjoy!

Nice - thanks for the post! I've been trying to find more info on this action. I appreciate the upgrades...basically everything on my wishlist that the V1 didn't have.

Didn't even notice the bolt knob, is that a 1/2" socket for removing/installing scope ring crossbolts in the field? Did it come with it?

Beautiful!!!!
I have a Deviant on order straight from Defiance and although they are not exactly the same it still gives me great joy to see that. now I just have to keep waiting, and that is the hard part!!

Sweet! My order was officially placed on 3/11/2013 for a Templar V2 barreled action with a beautiful fluted Bartlein GAP#7 26" chambered in 6.5CM with a BO Thruster brake. Lead time estimate was at 4-6months.

As far as their current builds, I know that you can upgrade from a Templar to a V2 for an additional $280.

Can someone knowledgable explain the differences between the iterations of design?

TIA

Integral 20 MOA Mil Spec 1913 scope mount and recoil lug
Reciever machined from one piece of pre-hardened 416SS
Bolt machined from one piece of pre-hardened 4340 and threaded for interchangeable knobs
Full length lug ways are Wire EDM cut to limit stress in the receiver material

Templar and Deviant are similar.

Deviant Action « Defiance Machine

Tackman11,

Drooling......what is the waiting time?

The wait times for a build using a V II action will be the same as those using a standard Templar action.

Regards.

Gray,

Didn't even notice the bolt knob, is that a 1/2" socket for removing/installing scope ring crossbolts in the field? Did it come with it?

I used the socket bolt knob because I liked the size relationship to the receiver. No the socket bolt knob is not standard but it is a choice.

Regards.

ziperian,

At what time will the new rifle orders be getting the next gen actions?

The V II actions are not replacing the Templar round actions at all. It's an upgrade, you have to request it and then pay the additional cost.

Regards.

Would someone care to explain to me the difference in the "new" GAP Templar V2 from Defiance and my new Alpha 11 from SAC (built by Defiance). Is everyone just putting their personal brand on these? My action and the one pictured above are identical. What input did GAP (or anyone else) actually put in this action to make it "their" action?

2CC43444-5872-44FF-94E6-B12BA711A6AA-890-0000001DFA922FEE.jpg

3A522B6F-4733-4CCC-A0D8-944D12B99352-890-0000001E01A08C5C.jpg

Would someone care to explain to me the difference in the "new" GAP Templar V2 from Defiance and my new Alpha 11 from SAC (built by Defiance). Is everyone just putting their personal brand on these? My action and the one pictured above are identical. What input did GAP (or anyone else) actually put in this action to make it "their" action?

I bet they are all the same with different signature.

Marks have a blind rear tang screw. Other than that I'm sure they're basically the same, can't remember if defiance already incorporates the LBC mod into his alpha actions or not, I think he performs that on them in house if he builds it.

Galaxy tab 10.1 on tapatalk

Look out Surgeon. More integral lug/base actions coming out. I love my M591 but again. I love my Templar too. I deff think that an integral lug/base is a great idea. Not like you would upgrade the lug or base. Hell, soon their will probably be ones with integral bottom bases.

I agree w/dono.i've got a few surgeons.although the templar v ii is nice,i'll stick w/my surgeons........d-1

I agree w/dono.i've got a few surgeons.although the templar v ii is nice,i'll stick w/my surgeons........d-1

I agree as well, surgeon is my go to action for field rifles but wanted to check out the Templar. No doubt its very nice and well made. Accuracy is just as good and you cant tell them apart from either GAP or surgeon. I bet in the future what will set those two actions apart is lead times. Surgeon nuts might swing over if a Templar is available or vice versa.

i just dont see what the hubub is all about, defiance came out with a new action and gap put their name on it to offer thier customers an upgrade over the standard templar. i cann give kudos to gap for offering thier customers a better product but its nothing surgeon didnt do years ago so to say its some new ground breaking action and its this and its that seems kinda strange. i know this is a gap forum but i just dont see how it is better than a surgeon unless like robertb pointed out to some people it might be about lead times and price.

i just dont see what the hubub is all about, defiance came out with a new action and gap put their name on it to offer thier customers an upgrade over the standard templar. i cann give kudos to gap for offering thier customers a better product but its nothing surgeon didnt do years ago so to say its some new ground breaking action and its this and its that seems kinda strange. i know this is a gap forum but i just dont see how it is better than a surgeon unless like robertb pointed out to some people it might be about lead times and price.

There is more to an action than just what you see. I.e.primary extraction. Surgeon have a single contact point with the ramp, defiance are helical cut with a lot more surface area doing the extraction.

Now obviously surgeon work just fine and its not something that would ever make a surgeon guy switch. I just wanted to point out that there's more than meets the eye, that's all.

I am sure I just brought a shitstorm of surgeon hell onto my head.....

Galaxy S3 on tapatalk

in all of my time in service and shooting out of service i have yet to have a rem style extractor fail so telling me something different is better is opinion as far as im concerned other than the opinion that the extraction is better is there anything else that would make this better than a surgeon that isnt opinion. dont get me wrong im not bashing gap or defiance my fav rifle in my safe is a gap hospitaller , i have had issues with the rifle and gap but by far their craftmanship is secont to none. i just stick to my guns and say the surgeon is better in my opinion and was years ago and still is . but like i said anyone with a better knowledge of this area migh have some facts that could change my mind i just have yet to hear any.

I didn't say extractor...

But I digress, I don't wish to argue this as I don't know these actions like defiance, surgeon, gap, sac and the guys that use them much more often than I

Galaxy S3 on tapatalk

Last edited:
I do have a Surgeon and it's THE best and the first one with integral 20MOA base. Prestonhas sold to Stragetic Armory Corps and has been quite difficult to find Surgeon action for custom build. I think Defiance will bring a new option in a very well made Action.

i agree, if you dont want to wait and would like the same features of the surgeon these actions from defiance should work nicely, if i was to have a gap rifle built using something other than a surgeon i would def pay the extra cost for the version 2.

i also agree.its a great second choice. there are really no bad actions built today .that said,i have some rem 700s and a stiller that are soooo smooth they defy gravity!its in the smiths hands.

Glen Harrison has been making rifle receivers for quite a while. Glen know and do Allan the machine work on pre-hardened steel to ensure consistent parts. The bolts are one piece, made from a single billet; the bolt and lug raceways are wire EDM'd for perfectly straight machining.

They just keep getting better and better!

This was never meant to be a comparison or justification thread. It's completely unnecessary. The Surgeon and Defiance actions are both top of the line, high quality actions. We don't discriminate when it comes to the best actions. We try to keep a large selection of actions on hand and on order to provide clients with the most choices for their builds.

I wanted folks to be able to see the Templar V II in the white, unencumbered, outside of the stock and without Cerakote. Yes, I left out the firing pin assembly, cocking piece, shroud and bolt stop on purpose.

G.A. Precision is an equal action custom rifle builder. We use nearly every action available on the market, including but not limited to:

Defiance
Surgeon
Bat
Remington 700
Winchester Model 70
Nesika
Sako
McMillan Bros. (50 Cal BMG)
Borden
Pierce
Savage
Stiller
Stolle
Tikka
CZ
Accuracy International

I know I'm forgetting a couple but you see the point. We order and use the best actions on the market to satisfy the client's needs, desires and demands for their builds. Surgeon has always has been and will continue to be a highly respected supplier.

Regards.

2CC43444-5872-44FF-94E6-B12BA711A6AA-890-0000001DFA922FEE.jpg

3A522B6F-4733-4CCC-A0D8-944D12B99352-890-0000001E01A08C5C.jpg

There are a few differences between the two when comparing the "Deviant" base. Main differences were in the "Pre-Deviant" version. I'm not 100% sure on the GA Precision Specs, so if anybody knows better, please fill in. I will only touch on the "Deviant" version based on the pictures the O.P. posted. We have our Alpha 11 set up to work best with OUR SOP's and we are really happy with the functionality of the action. As everybody knows the Templar series works extremely well and is set up for GA Precision.

Templar V2.
-Heavy Rem Tang
-Exposed rear action screw hole
-Different bolt handle design
-Defiance shallow bolt fluting

Alpha 11 Integral lug and rail.
-Standard Rem tang ( I like this better for blending tang area into bedding)
-Blind rear action screw hole (I think it just looks cleaner, it takes more time to bed and set things up)
-Modified bolt handle to allow our Alpha 11 to drop into any Rem 700 inletted stock with out inletting.
-We prefer a non fluted bolt, but we typically stock the deep spiral bolt fluting from Defiance.

These are the small differences.

Mark

That is a beautiful action. I will give you exactly what you paid for it right now, plus $20.00 towards your favorite 6 pack of boutique yuppie beer. You wanna sell it?