• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Garmin 701 over Kestrel 5700

hereinaz

LS Wild - Thunderbird Long Range
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I have used the Applied Ballistic phone app, the Kestrel 5700 Elite, and now the Garmin 701.

Of all, I prefer the Garmin 701.

Phone is the easiest to navigate, but I don't like having to use my phone at the range or on a hunt. It also doesn't have free custom drag models for bullets.

I like the Kestrel enough. Worked very well. I found navigation acceptable once I used a a few times. Having wind in the solution was nice. The upgrade with multiple targets was helpful. The screen was small. Entering data for each target used more buttons to navigate to a target and then each field to update.

The difference I really like is the larger screen of the Garmin 701 paired with the Tempe. The Garmin has a target page that you can update the fields, more quickly than with the Kestrel. Also, it has a multiple target feature with up to 10 targets, 5 per page. It also has a range card, so you can set it to start at any range, and then set the intervals. I scrolled through out to 3000 yards, and it gave me firing solutions with elevation and two wind, by 25 yard increments.

It has all of the environmentals automatically updating just like the Kestrel, except the wind. However, the Garmin is easy to update the wind. Also, with wind, its not like the Kestrel dopes wind perfectly. I've found that I needed a bracket for wind, like so many use. And, the Garmin has that. For now, I have it set to 5 mph and 10 mph. For wind calls, I did buy a simple Kestrel with wind, temp and baro in case my Garmin goes down and I use my phone.

I also like I can wear the Garmin like a watch. I left the Garmin on for three days straight, and played with it several times a day. I have one bar left of Duracell alkaline batteries.

@aconnolly84

Good information, thank you. To be straight forward you enjoy the Garmin due to its ease of access for desired information and ability to input data, but it does not read the wind. And the kestrel worked great (and has wind reads) other than the navigation throughout its system to apply your requirements.

Any chance you used the wind vein / tripod with the kestrel before? I am in agreement that I do not preferably enjoy having my phone out at all times while I am shooting. The wrist strap seems much more feasible.

I have owned a 401 Garmin for many years as a gps tool and enjoy the wrist capability also. Does the 701 also have GPS? I can’t believe I have not heard of the 701 until now.

How long have you owned the Kestrel and do you still have all packaging and manual/instructions with it?

Again, thanks for the note.

Reactions: hereinaz
    I sold the Kestrel already, it is great. I did use the wind vane with the Kestrel 5700 a little. That Kestrel has a compass, so you get wind direction, max, min, average, etc.

In the end, I decided that wind is much more art than science, so all I needed was a basic Kestrel for wind... It is simple enough to plug in the wind number or just use 5 and 10 mph and add or subract. Or, just change the max and min for the day and then use those as a baseline.

Also, the Kestrel gives me wind as the Kestrel calculates it. With the GPS, I can manipulate both the speed and direction, which I can't do with the Kestrel. Because, wind might be different over the course of the trajectory...

If I knew about it sooner, I probably would have just gotten the GPS right away. The 701 is a 601 with the ballistics added in. The GPS is another huge reason. I had been using my phone as GPS too for hunts. I have been looking for a new GPS, so this fits the bill.

Reactions: aconnolly84
    Appreciate your post

I too been giving though to trying the Garmin a try for the larger screen and being to wear on the wrist. The Garmin looks like a great hunting companion when needing quick data.