• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Garmin Montana 650T, worth the money???

Redandwhite_72

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2014
Missouri
The Garmin Montana 650t is on sale at cabelas from $699 to $599. I have found a used one for $325. Maybe can talk them down to $300. Guy said he bought it a year ago in April and only used it one time. Is it worth $300.

About a year ago I picked up a 650T in the bargain room at Cabelas for about $350. I played with it a bit and decided it was too big and heavy. I then returned it and bought a 550T. Much lighter and smaller. However, on the 650t I really like the ability to turn it sideways and use the landscape view. The finger swipe scrolling was much easier on the 650T also and you just plugged into the back of it to charge. If I had it to do over again, for my use (not much back country wilderness hunting anymore) I'd have kept the 650T. If size and weight are a concern, you may want to look for a smaller unit.

My area gets way below zero and with plenty of wind/snow 8-10000' elevation, there are times when my fingers are so cold that I cannot operate my Iphone.

Read all the reviews on all the Garmins, they recommend the 62sc in severe cold.

You may not require anything other than touch screen, my environment requires buttons for me.

My area gets way below zero and with plenty of wind/snow 8-10000' elevation, there are times when my fingers are so cold that I cannot operate my Iphone.

Read all the reviews on all the Garmins, they recommend the 62sc in severe cold.

You may not require anything other than touch screen, my environment requires buttons for me.

We hunt 7-8000'. I know it can get that cold there too. I just haven't experienced it yet. Last couple of years have been warm as far as hunting goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 650T and have used it extensively over the past two years in the back country. I have owned a handful of Garmin units over the years and think it is the most useful of all of them. Albeit it is a big unit but the ability to view detailed maps on the screen more than offsets the bulk. I have multiple map sets loaded included GPS Hunting maps as well as satellite data which can be overlaid on the maps. Lots of useful features.

I have a 650T and have used it extensively over the past two years in the back country. I have owned a handful of Garmin units over the years and think it is the most useful of all of them. Albeit it is a big unit but the ability to view detailed maps on the screen more than offsets the bulk. I have multiple map sets loaded included GPS Hunting maps as well as satellite data which can be overlaid on the maps. Lots of useful features.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doesn't have the biggest screen, but look at the Delorme GPS. Very well built plus it can be wirelessly connected to a sat linked text system. Personnaly, I wish I had a setup like this a few years back. After completing an ice climb in Hungtington Ravine on Mt. Washington, White Mountains in NH. Buddy and me got stuck above treeline in February. -10°F with 15-30 mph winds. For the first, and very last time, I very stupidly didn't think I would be in the mess we were in (cocky + poor planning). If when we got up at first light and it was foggy, windy or snowing we would have been screwed. Fortunately it was clear and calm at dawn. It didn't stay that way for long, but I had enough time to get a couple of good compass fixes. Now, to make a short story longer, when we got back to the headquarters building we found out, even though we were 36 hrs. overdue, the staff hadn't bothered to check the logs!! If you want to get a taste of how screwed we could've been, google Hugh Herr. That's the nightmare that I couldn't get out of my head.