• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Oregon 550T?

Sniper6

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2006
Elko, Nevada
I am looking at the Gamin Oregon 550T GPS and was wondering if any of you had tried one and how well you liked it.

I don’t think I need a gps as big as the 550T but if I am going to buy one it mine as well be as nice as I can afford.
I am planning on using it to mark ranges for target shooting.
My Swarovski rangefinder has problems ranging small targets past 1500 yards so I wanted to be able to mark the bench and then go past a mile as needed.
What do you guys think?

Re: Garmin Oregon 550T?

A friend has one for geocaching and he told me that the Oregon's display is a little hard to see in sunlight. I would look at the 60CSx.

Ok, I will look at it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">One-Eyed Jack</span> did he have any other problems that you know of?

The 60CSx looks nice and it is about 1/2 the price of the 550T
I Will have to think about this??

I have a Oregon 400T and I like it, never had any problems with it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">dt00083 </span> Will it give you a reading in feet or yards? I am trying to see how accurate they are. I have never had a GPS before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">dt00083 </span> Will it give you a reading in feet or yards? I am trying to see how accurate they are. I have never had a GPS before.</div></div> What reading are you talking about? Distance to destination or accuracy? Most GPS give distances in yards/meters for distance until you are a good distance away, then they will switch over to miles/km. Accuracy readings are given in feet/meters.

They pretty much all have a wide variety of unit formats for data output so you can set it how you prefer.

As for how accurate they are, that is another ball of wax. Make sure it has WAAS capability and it is enabled for the best accuracy, but it will also eat batteries faster. My other recommendation is for it to have the higher sensitivity antenna (Oregons all have this). Garmin eTrex units note this with a "H" in the model designation such as the "Vista HCX" model. Accuracy all depends on the number of satellites you're tracking on, and they're all pretty much the same across the board for hand held units. Typical accuracy is <10' on flat open terrain and ~30' in the hills or woods.

The 60 Series are nice for the larger screen, but they also have a much larger profile along with it. Me personally for standard use and regular maps I prefer the compact eTrex series but the Oregon models with their larger screen are really nice for 3D mapping, but when you read topo maps long enough you pretty much see them in 3D anyhow. I've only messed around with a friend's Oregon and never thought it was nice enough to personally justify the increased price.

The biggest thing I don't like about the Oregon is the touch screen and body make it feel like it isn't as durable. eTrex and 60's are very tough and can take several drops and bangs. This is why I'm switching to a DeLorme to have both excellent mapping and imagery along with a tough unit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">dt00083 </span> Will it give you a reading in feet or yards? I am trying to see how accurate they are. I have never had a GPS before.</div></div> What reading are you talking about? Distance to destination or accuracy? Most GPS give distances in yards/meters for distance until you are a good distance away, then they will switch over to miles/km. Accuracy readings are given in feet/meters.

They pretty much all have a wide variety of unit formats for data output so you can set it how you prefer.

As for how accurate they are, that is another ball of wax. Make sure it has WAAS capability and it is enabled for the best accuracy, but it will also eat batteries faster. My other recommendation is for it to have the higher sensitivity antenna (Oregons all have this). Garmin eTrex units note this with a "H" in the model designation such as the "Vista HCX" model. Accuracy all depends on the number of satellites you're tracking on, and they're all pretty much the same across the board for hand held units. Typical accuracy is <10' on flat open terrain and ~30' in the hills or woods.

The 60 Series are nice for the larger screen, but they also have a much larger profile along with it. Me personally for standard use and regular maps I prefer the compact eTrex series but the Oregon models with their larger screen are really nice for 3D mapping, but when you read topo maps long enough you pretty much see them in 3D anyhow. I've only messed around with a friend's Oregon and never thought it was nice enough to personally justify the increased price.

The biggest thing I don't like about the Oregon is the touch screen and body make it feel like it isn't as durable. eTrex and 60's are very tough and can take several drops and bangs. This is why I'm switching to a DeLorme to have both excellent mapping and imagery along with a tough unit. </div></div>

Yes, Distance to destination is what I was asking about. I had read a little about WAAS and I think that is the only way I will go.
I am going to check out some DeLorme GPS units also.
Thanks for your time and imput <span style="font-weight: bold">Redmanss</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I myself love my rhino, and if you hunt with buddies, the raido feature is awesome. One unit to carry. JMO </div></div>
I will take a look!

Good product-not great IMHO for a handheld GPS. Accuracy (WASS enabled)is acceptable. Brief learning curve and fast to use. Negatives are battery life and viewing the screen in strong sunlight. Initially concerned about the durability of the unit with the large viewing screen but it is holding up well. etrex is a more accurate unit and I think more durable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at the Gamin Oregon 550T GPS and was wondering if any of you had tried one and how well you liked it.

I don&#146;t think I need a gps as big as the 550T but if I am going to buy one it mine as well be as nice as I can afford.
My Swarovski rangefinder has problems ranging small targets past 1500 yards so I wanted to be able to mark the bench and then go past a mile as needed.
What do you guys think?
</div></div>

If the only thing that you are going to be using the GPS for is distances for shooting, then by all means buy yourself a used Garmin eTrex from Craigslist. Put the extra $500 somewhere else.

The Garmin Oregon is my favorite GPS. I am faster with my Oregon than I am any other GPS. The time difference is seen when you are putting in Coordinates to search, or trying to navigate while moving.
It is durable. My Oregon has 2 deployments and many long hard field problems. It has taken some nasty falls. I have sat on a rock with the touch screen directly in between me and the rock. It has been through the washer AND dryer.

If you have any specific questions, just shoot me a pm. I have used most all of the GPS's that are listed here so far.

Definitely look into the Dakota 20. It's got all the needed features from the Oregon series, but none of the stupid crap like built in cameras.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paraiso</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at the Gamin Oregon 550T GPS and was wondering if any of you had tried one and how well you liked it.

I don&#146;t think I need a gps as big as the 550T but if I am going to buy one it mine as well be as nice as I can afford.
What do you guys think?
</div></div>

If the only thing that you are going to be using the GPS for is distances for shooting, then by all means buy yourself a used Garmin eTrex from Craigslist. Put the extra $500 somewhere else.

The Garmin Oregon is my favorite GPS. I am faster with my Oregon than I am any other GPS. The time difference is seen when you are putting in Coordinates to search, or trying to navigate while moving.
It is durable. My Oregon has 2 deployments and many long hard field problems. It has taken some nasty falls. I have sat on a rock with the touch screen directly in between me and the rock. It has been through the washer AND dryer.

If you have any specific questions, just shoot me a pm. I have used most all of the GPS's that are listed here so far. </div></div>

Thanks <span style="font-weight: bold">paraiso</span>, What do you think of the Magellan 610 ?

In responce to <span style="font-weight: bold">Redmanss</span>, I will go as high as $600 if needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cluebat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definitely look into the Dakota 20. It's got all the needed features from the Oregon series, but none of the stupid crap like built in cameras. </div></div>

You feel that the camera is not worth the extra $$ ?
I dont need a camera but if I am spending the money for a good gps anyway I may use it a couple of times a year.

I will look at the dakota 20.

If you go for an eTrex, don't bother getting preloaded maps. They're a waste of money as they're all available for free on the internet. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ I use these all the time and they're both accurate and detailed.

The Vista is a great unit, very versatile and compact, and has been my mainstay GPS unit for the last four years in Afghanistan with both the Cx and HCx models. For your stated purposes of getting GPS distances, it is more than adequate.

FYI, Amazon has them for under $200.

What ever one you go with, try and make sure it has a high-sensivity reciever. It picks up satalites super fast and will keep a heading in thick cover.

I had a lowarance H2o, used it in the swamps in Georgia on a hog hunt and I went through batteries left and right looking for satalites. While my buddie with the rino never lost signal.

I came home and sold the lowarance and am now a prowd owner of a rino 530HCx

I'm partial to the etrex "x" series as well ("x" in the model means it has the higher sensitivity antenna), the size is perfect, it does everything you need it to, and the runtime is 10 hours better than any of the newer garmin units. I haven't used the Oregon but after the garmin colorado fiasco I've yet to see anything huge that the new units do better than the etrex/60csx line, except have a more smartphone interface. For guys using the oregon can you use the touch screen with gloves on?

The only thing that's worth looking at in the Oregon beyond the etrex is that garmin FINALLY started using a 3rd axis compass, and they have increased the number of tracks you can have in the unit at one time from 20/200. Now if they would make an easy way to get real satellite images on the unit they'd have something worth buying.

I was suggested the 60CSX from a coworker.

It picks up signal in an armored sub in the middle of nowhere Iraq even when other model GPS's with external hockey pucks are searching for signals.

Ive never lost a signal with it. Best GPS ive ever had in terms of signal reception.

I have been looking into the 550T though as it would be sweet for backwoods enduro riding since it has the whole US topography pre-loaded on the unit with a big color touch screen.

Looks like a really nice unit, but kinda pricey.

If you decide to purchase please post a review.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm partial to the etrex "x" series as well ("x" in the model means it has the higher sensitivity antenna)....

</div></div> That would be the "H", not the "x" that designates that. I was pissed when they came out with the HCx a few months after I paid the same price for my Cx. Holding my Cx and my friends new HCx (both Vistas) right next to each other in a building 10' from the windows his was tracking four satellites and mine had none.

Another thing to keep in mind the REI reviews for the 550 aren't that great. That aside a lot of places (REI/Cabelas/etc.) also seem to be discounting the 550 quite a bit, in the past that usually means garmin has a new model on the way pretty soon. Especially since a couple places that usually allow backorders are not doing so for the Oregon if they are out of stock. That doesn't mean it's a bad unit, just that if you are not in a hurry the same $ might get you something with new/better features.

There's a reason the etrex/60/72 series have been around for many years, they are very well sorted out at this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would be the "H", not the "x" that designates that. I was pissed when they came out with the HCx a few months after I paid the same price for my Cx. Holding my Cx and my friends new HCx (both Vistas) right next to each other in a building 10' from the windows his was tracking four satellites and mine had none. </div></div>

Good catch that's my bad, the "x" is for the external memory card slot. In the 76 and 60 "x" units they also got the high sensitivity antenna but never got the "H" while the etrex units the "H" was the upgraded antenna.

You're also right it made a big difference I had the opportunity to compare both the etrex and 60 series and it was night and day. I also believe all the new units (colorado, edge, oregon etc.) have had that as standard.

Frankly since the etrex/60/72 series garmin IMO has been slipping on quality and testing. It seems like all the new units coming out have a lot of issues that should have been caught before product release. Garmin's answer seems to be to just phase the unit out and replace it (ala the colorado) as quick as they can.

[/quote]

Thanks <span style="font-weight: bold">paraiso</span>, What do you think of the Magellan 610 ?

In responce to <span style="font-weight: bold">Redmanss</span>, I will go as high as $600 if needed.[/quote]

I have used a magellan 510 right beside my oregon. The magellan had the pretty much the same signal reception in many different tested areas. I like Garmins operating system better, but that is probably because I have used it for a couple of years now. I also know that my Garmin will take some serious abuse. Right now I am getting free use out of it, because it should have been destroyed several times.

My work relies heavily on a good GPS. It has to be dead on in all kinds of rough situations. I highly suggest a Garmin 60csx (best signal and most accurate that I have used) or a Garmin Oregon (Fastest and most user friendly, and still really strong signal and accurate)

WOW! Thanks for all the imput guys. I had no idea Garmin was so huge in this market place.
Some of you have had me look into the Rhino line of GPS with the radio, I think they look real nice and the radio with it would be handy. That being said I still am having problems finding the range of the radio. Some say 2 miles like the 110 but I would realy like more than that.
The rino 530HCx looks real nice.

To those that know, Is Magellan not as good as Garmin in the GPS market?

Hey Sniper6, clean out your mailbox real quick. I have a pretty good find for you on a 550t. Send me a PM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paraiso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Sniper6, clean out your mailbox real quick. I have a pretty good find for you on a 550t. Send me a PM. </div></div>

Sorry that took so long, PM inbound.

Thanks to <span style="font-weight: bold">paraiso</span> I am going with the 550T, I will let you know how I like it after I have a little time to use it.
Thanks for all of your input guys.

You will like the 550T. I have the 400T and love it. Use it for everything. So simple to use, and easy to personalize.