• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin tactix 7 Pro Ballistics

I’ve had the Instinct 2X for about a month now and it’s a pretty sweet piece of kit. Managing the data is more difficult than the kestrel but you’ll never forget it at home. Also it will pair with the binos and kestrel so it can do a lot if you take the time to learn it all - which I haven’t yet. The screen is smaller than the Tactix so that could be a problem for aging eyes.
I like all the pieces in the AB environment and they all have their use. For example setting up a match on the watch would really suck but for backpacking and hunting it would save time and space. The Sig 10k do it all as well but don’t do the environmentals well by themselves if you aren’t super careful.
For hunting and general use the Garmin are great and I’m going to get the temperature sensor to go with mine for this use. The binos with AB could stand alone for this use as well. The Kestrel does a lot of heavy lifting and is the best tool for prepping matches.
More answers thanks you asked for but it seemed appropriate information.
Awesome, thanks. I have a semi professional job, and I like the looks of the Fenix/tactixs delta better than the instinct for everyday use. But Garmins site suxxxx... and not sure if im missing any features either way...

Ryan

Awesome, thanks. I have a semi professional job, and I like the looks of the Fenix/tactixs delta better than the instinct for everyday use. But Garmins site suxxxx... and not sure if im missing any features either way...

Ryan
I believe the difference in features are in the mapping/navigation type features and features that would use color. As far as the ballistics capabilities, they both perform the same functions and have the same integrations AFAIK. Garmin has packed an incredible amount of capability into these watches and I bet most of us only use 10-15% of the features.

I thought there was a compare feature on Garmin's website but I can't find it. Makes it difficult to decide when you can't compare!

Ha! Figured out the compare feature on the website. Its towards the top/left of the page and you add the devices you want to compare.

The ballistic features on the Tactix and Instinct Tactical models are the same with just the smaller display on the Instinct.

Reactions: Long Range 338
The ballistic features on the Tactix and Instinct Tactical models are the same with just the smaller display on the Instinct.
Thanks, looking for a comparison between the Tactix Delta (old Model) and Int instinct 2 + Ballistics. (As i can get a used Tactix Delta for the smae price or a little cheaper than the instinc 2). And i like the looks of the tactix better.

Cant really see a comparison option for those 2 models.

Also, what service does Garmin provide for these? Do they have an out of warranty repair service, or battery replacement?

Ryan

Anybody have an issue with the Target Card page showing the target ranges in meters even though everything else is in yards? I want it in yards.

I’ve tried everything I can think of, including completely resetting the watch to factory specs.

Watch software 14.36
AB Core Base 76

@Garmin

Ok, old thread, but…..

I’m at a course with Frank, and my Garmin Tactix 7 pro is displaying the strange issue where it does not provide a solution, just —-:

IMG_0924.jpeg

Any folks in the Garmin / AB Team ever see this before?!

I uploaded the gun from the AB ballistics app used with the Garmin watch.

@DocUSMCRetired @Lowlight @Garmin

GB

PS I also discovered you can’t upload a profile from the phone to the Watch, if there is a colon?(eg “CDG PVA 1:7”) in the profile name!!!!

Ok, old thread, but…..

I’m at a course with Frank, and my Garmin Tactix 7 pro is displaying the strange issue where it does not provide a solution, just —-:

View attachment 8236534

Any folks in the Garmin / AB Team ever see this before?!

I uploaded the gun from the AB ballistics app used with the Garmin watch.

@DocUSMCRetired @Lowlight @Garmin

GB

PS I also discovered you can’t upload a profile from the phone to the Watch, if there is a colon?(eg “CDG PVA 1:7”) in the profile name!!!!

I would make sure you're on the latest version of software for the watch, and try a hard reset through the System | Reset menu.

Ive been looking at the Calypso wind meter as I heard it could connect to the Garmin Watch. Seams there is an app for it. Hoping someone has experiance with it on the Garmin.
I've got the app, just bought a new solar calypso wind meter, but the Tactix 7 finds the sensor, but will not connect no matter what I've tried.

Extremely frustrating.....

My understanding, unless things have changed, is that the wind from the calypso wind meter only works with the calypso app, NOT the ab solver. If things have changed that would be great. I have been working on some alternatives but documentation from the garmin side tends to be fitness orianted, and the AB folks seem to keep a tight leash on their data.

To read the wind with the calypso device you have to install the calypso app in garmin Coinnect IQ

I verified, no it will not connect to the Garmin products. You need to use their app.
The app is on the watch itself.... It needs to connect for the app to provide wind values.

What am I missing here?

image.jpgimage.jpg

I work in technology, it sees the sensor but won't connect, the app won't work because the sensor isn't connected.

A friend has his working on a different watch. WTH?

Reactions: corym468
The app is on the watch itself.... It needs to connect for the app to provide wind values.

What am I missing here?

View attachment 8330498View attachment 8330499

I work in technology, it sees the sensor but won't connect, the app won't work because the sensor isn't connected.

A friend has his working on a different watch. WTH?
Firmware version differences between you and your friends Calypso meters?

Both my meters connect to his watch...... The smaller compact and the new solar version.

That's not it. I also updated them with this.....their updater.

IMG_8679.png

Not sure, my calypso wouldn't connect to anything for a day of monkeying around. I updated, charged, updated again, no dice...

Then magically it just started working and has been fine. Can you connect to the calypso from your phone?

Ha! Figured out the compare feature on the website. Its towards the top/left of the page and you add the devices you want to compare.

Thanks for posting this. I recently sold my Tactix 7 to switch to a Descent mk3i for scuba.

I wanted to see what the difference are. I can't figure out how to add other items to the compare, until I realized the compare uses the product ID, which you can get from the URL of the product, then replace in the compare URL with the correct ID, and viola it works

I see that the main differences between the Descent and the Tactix7 is the Aviation features are missing in the Descent, while being replaced by the DIVE & Boating features.

AB seems available on both (on my AB version of the Tactix7 it was preloaded). However I noticed the wind meter was not indicated as being compatible with the Descent even though it can run AB. I havent' tried to run AB on my Descent, has anyone else?

I deleted and reloaded these about 15x , checked all SW. Finally got it working, and tested, and compared to my Kestrel.

IMG_8709.jpeg

Reactions: 4O6shootist
@DocUSMCRetired @Garmin

If I buy a Tactix 7 Pro and want to upgrade it to have AB at a later date is that possible? Similar to how the Instinct 2X can be upgraded? Or would I need to buy the Pro AB version upfront all at once?
You can upgrade it later. As long as its the Tactix 7 Pro that is compatible. They have a list on the website for that.

Reactions: Little_Fish
You can upgrade it later. As long as its the Tactix 7 Pro that is compatible. They have a list on the website for that.
Thank you. I thought so. I called Garmin yesterday and the gal I spoke to said it’s a hardware difference but that didn’t seem right to me. Right in the AB synapse app there’s a picture of an Instinct and also the Tactix 7. I just bought the Instinct 2X Tactical but part of me wants to return it and just go all out for the T7.

Thank you. I thought so. I called Garmin yesterday and the gal I spoke to said it’s a hardware difference but that didn’t seem right to me. Right in the AB synapse app there’s a picture of an Instinct and also the Tactix 7. I just bought the Instinct 2X Tactical but part of me wants to return it and just go all out for the T7.
Going all out would be the Carbon Fiber Garmin Commander

I love that watch....but i cant justify the expense for something with a shelf life of say 5 years. if Garmin would guarantee the ability to replace the guts of the watch that would be one thing but it will be outdated fast and like i said the battery and screen and stuff arent lifetime like a rolex or breitling.

Reactions: waveslayer
I love that watch....but i cant justify the expense for something with a shelf life of say 5 years. if Garmin would guarantee the ability to replace the guts of the watch that would be one thing but it will be outdated fast and like i said the battery and screen and stuff arent lifetime like a rolex or breitling.
Exactly. I’ve got a number of nice watches that cost the same as this, but when I’m an old man they’ll still be valuable. I look at the smartwatch stuff more like a piece of tech and not a watch. Same as bows. A high end bow today is next decades worthless relic. But guns are a more like watches.

The Marq line is off target for me. The price points are a drastic premium but the technology lags a generation behind. And the smart watches are a tech product first and foremost and not a classical mechanical watch. I bought the Tactix AMOLED which has all the tech and the bezel design looks better than the Fenix/Epix design to me and fits the "going all out" bill better.

WOW $3,200 USD for a "smartwatch" that will be technically obsolete within 5 years :eek:

I would much rather spend $3200 USD this way:

$2700 USD for a nice Swiss or German watch with a chronometer certified mechanical movement, which I can wear and enjoy for decades.
$500 USD for a "smartwatch" that will serve a practical purpose for 5 years, then be disposed of.

Last edited: