• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin tactix 7 Pro Ballistics

Your failing to understand that it’s not garmin nor kestrel. It’s applied ballistics. It’s their engine. They get to decide how it’s used and what it communicates with.
You're right I don't know who the offending party is here. I suspected that it was AB, but I didn't want to speculate. I use various expensive and complex modeling software packages in my line of work. None of them try to charge a fee on other software packages (OSP) for the privilege of having OSP data uploaded into their software. This is a highly unusual and exploitative business practice. We should demand better of AB, unless there's a legit reason for this that we are completely missing.

Now this assumes that AB is the offending party and I don't think _Windrider_ meant that as a definitive statement.

You're right I don't know who the offending party is here. I suspected that it was AB, but I didn't want to speculate. I use various expensive and complex modeling software packages in my line of work. None of them try to charge a fee on other software packages (OSP) for the privilege of having OSP data uploaded into their software. This is a highly unusual and exploitative business practice. We should demand better of AB, unless there's a legit reason for this that we are completely missing.

Now this assumes that AB is the offending party and I don't think _Windrider_ meant that as a definitive statement.
As far as transmitting DoF, it is interesting that recent Leica LRF binos & monoculars DO transmit DoF to a Kestrel AB w/Link, but even the most recent Sig 10k does NOT.

Also, BigJimFish stated somewhere that to use the Sig app, one need the binos connected. Whereas with Leica, there is no such limitation.

I think there’s a good chance that the SIG sales & marketing dept and/or IP lawyers have something to do with this. BigJimFish said nVidia (sp?) made both their apps.

While I don’t know who makes Vortex’s app, their 5000 AB binos transmit DoF too.

Strange times.

I don't disagree with you, but I don't think anyone is trying to be a terrorist and intentionally make things not work. Except for the folks at Kestrel. I had to reverse engineer their protocol to make apps that could talk to it. They can suck it.

It could be the garmin, or it could be the Steiner folks. There is a finite amount of development hours available, if I was bankrolling it, supporting the rangefinder that did the protocol different, and not many people own would be low on the list. Hopefully they will get it working. I suspect there will be more open standards and more devices will talk at some point.

The terrorist comment was tongue in cheek (I think that's the correct saying).

That's perfectly understandable, if it is Steiner and the problem isn't proprietary SW, but that Garmin programmers haven't gotten around to it. You're right it makes the most since to work out the most popular sensors first. However, Garmin's communications or lack there of leads me to believe that this isn't the case. If it was, I would expect to see Garmin reaching out to industry for popular sensors wanted and at the very least Garmin laying out a roadmap of what sensors and in what order they are working to add them.

That being said, this isn't 1995 and the wild west of SW development. At this point it shouldn't be that difficult for industry to settle on a standard or at least a small list of different formats for data transmission. I realize we're still early in this particular ecosystem, but industry won't converge on a standard until pushed to. It's best that we start pushing early IMHO.

Reactions: Huckmeat
I can pair my Kestrel with the Tactix 7, but every time I try to use it in the AB app, it does this and unpairs the Kestrel. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20230218_134459~2.jpg
    20230218_134459~2.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 106
Do you have the kestrel set in ballistic mode? This is just a thought...

Yes. Attaching photos showing what I think are most of the relevant details.
(Hoping @Garmin will weigh in on this.)

Attachments

• 20230218_135211.jpg
    20230218_135211.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20230218_135616.jpg
    20230218_135616.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 92
  • 20230218_135821.jpg
    20230218_135821.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 20230218_140703.jpg
    20230218_140703.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 20230218_140705.jpg
    20230218_140705.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 20230218_143026.jpg
    20230218_143026.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 20230218_143034.jpg
    20230218_143034.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
  • Bushnell Nitro 1800
  • Leica Geovid Pro 32
  • Safran Vectronix Terrapin X
  • Sig Sauer KILO 2400 BDX
  • Sig Sauer KILO 3000 BDX
  • Sig Sauer KILO 5K BDX
  • SigSauer KILO 8K-ABS
  • Sig Sauer KILO 10K-ABS HD
  • Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB
?-Sig Sauer KILO 2400 ABS -will not work if it is not in the list?

After 9 months of flawless operation in about 12-15 matches, my Garmin now 'reboots' as soon as my rangefinder sends a range in AB model.

I opened a support ticket with Garmin, but so far they seem stumped. It has been escalated to 'the engineers'.

Reactions: Dcubano
Yes. Attaching photos showing what I think are most of the relevant details.
(Hoping @Garmin will weigh in on this.)
Sometimes the two devices get out of sync and can't communicate going forward. We're working to determine the root cause of this and prevent it, but in the meantime if you remove the battery from the Kestrel, wait a few seconds and replace it then it should start working again.

I use my Tactix with my Vectronix range finder very often and works flawlessly these past 2 years. Tactix AB automatically receives the distance data and so far the firing solution has been really precise. Does the Tactix AB automatically read the wind data from the Kestrel when paired? How does the Tactix AB read the Kestrel for min and max wind values? Since I have had the Tactix AB, I rarely use my Kestrel with AB anymore. Usually just get a quick wind read, plug in min and max wind brackets on the Tactix and go from there.

After 9 months of flawless operation in about 12-15 matches, my Garmin now 'reboots' as soon as my rangefinder sends a range in AB model.

I opened a support ticket with Garmin, but so far they seem stumped. It has been escalated to 'the engineers'.
@Garmin
I second this. Also having the same issue.

I just bought into the Sig BDX and Garmin Tactix7 Pro AB ecosystem. Tried to get a new Kilo4K and Tactix7 to work together. Garmin reboots when it receives range info from Kilo4k. Running latest firmware for both.

@Garmin

I just bought into the Sig BDX and Garmin Tactix7 Pro AB ecosystem. Tried to get a new Kilo4K and Tactix7 to work together. Garmin reboots when it receives range info from Kilo4k. Running latest firmware for both.

I waited for about 8 weeks, no solution or update. I asked if they would RMA the watch for another, which they did, service was top notch.

New watch works perfectly, hopefully they figure out what is going on with the old one. I really suspect software/firmware, like there is some bad state data or a pre-existing value in the AB data and it's dividing by zero or something.

Did you try a full watch reset? I did not and should have.

As stated in the other thread, that device is not in the AB ecosystem, so no.
What other thread?

I get that it's not in the AB ecosystem, but it does communicate with the kestrel. If it can communicate with a kestrel why would it not be able to communicate with our garmins?

What other thread?

I get that it's not in the AB ecosystem, but it does communicate with the kestrel. If it can communicate with a kestrel why would it not be able to communicate with our garmins?

I'd think it would be up to Vortex/GB to create an app for the Garmin to allow this.

Last edited:
Reactions: corym468
I waited for about 8 weeks, no solution or update. I asked if they would RMA the watch for another, which they did, service was top notch.

New watch works perfectly, hopefully they figure out what is going on with the old one. I really suspect software/firmware, like there is some bad state data or a pre-existing value in the AB data and it's dividing by zero or something.

Did you try a full watch reset? I did not and should have.

I just ran “reset default settings” and it fixed the issue. Scope, kilo4k and tactix7 working together now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garmin and 6.5SH
@Garmin

@Garmin
Same here.. kilo 3000 and tactix. Reboots if I range over 800 yds.

@Garmin I’ve noticed that with the latest software update the flashlight function is unreliable. I double tap to turn it on and nothing happens a lot of the times. Then sometimes it comes on after a delay. Same with turning off. It either works with a delay or not at all. No issue prior to latest software.

Having trouble with my tactic 7 pro ballistic and linking it with my terrapin x. I set the watch up. How do I get it to show me my range readings.?

@Garmin I’ve noticed that with the latest software update the flashlight function is unreliable. I double tap to turn it on and nothing happens a lot of the times. Then sometimes it comes on after a delay. Same with turning off. It either works with a delay or not at all. No issue prior to latest software.
Please report this issue in our support forums so that it can be tracked. Here's a link to this issue.

I have some questions, please help!

I have a Tactix 7 Pro ballistic, Kestrel 5700 elite and Leica Geovid Pro 10x42 and my questions are:

Does the Tactix automatically correct/update Altitude and pressure of the actual location I’m shooting?

Since I can’t have the three things connected at the same time, If I correct the MV by truing my kestrel and then just input that MV into Garmin AB app then have just my Leica RF Binos paired with Tactix will the info on the Tactix be as accurate as in the kestrel?

I don’t know if all this make sense but please help, I’m new to all this. Thank you

I have a Tactix 7 Pro and Leica Geovid Pro 10x42, if I pair them, does the Leica will give the DoF, Range, and inclination to the Tactix while the Tactix will get the environment by itself??? Please advise what/how to configure.
The only environmental from the tactix would be pressure. Humidity and temp must come from somewhere else or manually updated

The only environmental from the tactix would be pressure. Humidity and temp must come from somewhere else or manually
The only environmental from the tactix would be pressure. Humidity and temp must come from somewhere else or manually updated
I also have the Garmin Tempe, can I have the Leica and the Tempe connected to the Tactix at the same time so know I have everything?

Altitud
Air density/pressure
Temperature
Range
DoF

And therefore, the correct adjustment in MOA

I also have the Garmin Tempe, can I have the Leica and the Tempe connected to the Tactix at the same time so know I have everything?

Altitud
Air density/pressure
Temperature
Range
DoF

And therefore, the correct adjustment in MOA
I believe so. The Tempe uses ant+ and the leave bluetooth

@Garmin Tactix 7 AB Pro and Sig Sauer Kilo 10K-ABS HD issues.

Statement of facts/personal observations/issues-

—— Issue at hand ——
When I use my Garmin Tactix 7 AB Pro, here’s my order of operations:

10ks set to BDX External.
Range a target via 10Ks to “wake system up” - sometimes there is a G, 99 % no “G” displayed.

On Tactix 7 - Go to Menu/Sensor and Accessories/Applied Ballistics, where it shows the 10ks as “connected”.

Check 10Ks - G logo present.

On Tactix 7, navigate to AB app.

On 10Ks - Range first target within 4 seconds of opening AB App on Tactix 7.

Result- proper communication of range from 10K to Tactix 7.

Range any subsequent targets after 4 seconds in the app, or not range any targets after 4 seconds in the app-

Result- G is gone after 4 seconds either way, no data sent to the Tactix.

On Tactix - Navigate to Menu/Sensor and Accessories/Applied Ballistics, where it shows the 10ks as “connected”.

Check 10Ks - G logo present, again.

This repeats. I cannot get the Tactix 7 and the 10Ks to remain linked.

Other details-
Both my Tactix 7 (brand new replacement unit from Garmin, got it today) and my 10Ks are on current firmware and BT software versions. I had it replaced by Garmin after reading a few places that this was the only thing that helped other who had issues with similar (not exactly the same) issues. The issue I describe here was going on with the original Tactix 7 I had as well.

Both Tactix and 10Ks have been reset to factory, upgraded, disconnected, “forgot”, and reconnected multiple times. Problem persists.

10K’s hold connection with my Garmin 901 perfectly, and work great for extended periods of time.

10Ks hold connection to my @Kestrel Ballistics 5700Elite perfectly, and work great for extend periods of time. This is most likely due to the 2 second refresh instructions Kestrel provided, as prior to that, the link was not reliable.

This is maddening, so any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: corym468
Try turning watch and bino Bluetooth off.

First turn on bino Bluetooth.

Second turn on watch Bluetooth and connect to binos.

Then use AB/bino.

When done disconnect both. This is what works for me on the Delta.

Try turning watch and bino Bluetooth off.

First turn on bino Bluetooth.

Second turn on watch Bluetooth and connect to binos.

Then use AB/bino.

When done disconnect both. This is what works for me on the Delta.
Ok, thanks for the info. I followed your instructions, and still, about 4 or 5 seconds in, bam, no connection. Problem persists. @Garmin any thoughts?

I had lost connection on 2 stages day 1 steel safari. @enginerd suggested starting an activity at the beginning of day. I started tactical mode days 2 and 3 and never lost connection again. Maybe try that?

I had lost connection on 2 stages day 1 steel safari. @enginerd suggested starting an activity at the beginning of day. I started tactical mode days 2 and 3 and never lost connection again. Maybe try that?
Fascinating, I’ll give it a go! Always worth a try!

Anyone have issues with the battery going from full charge to 56% in one day? I verified nothing changed and most everything is in Saver mode, except HRV and displays step counts......updated everything. Used to last 28 days......now it'll die in 3.

Anyone have issues with the battery going from full charge to 56% in one day? I verified nothing changed and most everything is in Saver mode, except HRV and displays step counts......updated everything. Used to last 28 days......now it'll die in 3.
My battery lasts about a month with all sensors in all the time

I just got the Tactix 7 pro ballistics and I’ve got a couple of questions.
1: Should I be able to download the profiles I created using the ABMobile app to the Synapse app from the cloud using the same login?
2: Is there a way to push update the profile in the Synapse app from the watch once I’ve made changes on the watch like calibrating MV and DSF?

I have profiles from the Mobile app that I’ve sync'd to the web using the account login with my email address but haven’t been able to retrieve these profiles with the Synapse app using the lame login.
I created a profile on the Synapse app and pushed it to the watch and then tuned it using data from my Kestrel but haven’t figured out how to update the profile in Synapse with that info.

Does anybody know of a list of fully compatible range finders that will send range, DOF and inclination angle to the watch? I was able to link my Terrapin X to the watch but it will only get LOS range from it.

Does anybody know of a list of fully compatible range finders that will send range, DOF and inclination angle to the watch? I was able to link my Terrapin X to the watch but it will only get LOS range from it.
The list of compatible range finders is available on our support website. The Vectronix is the only one that doesn't send anything other than just range as it doesn't use the AB protocols.

Reactions: WVshooter
I just got the Tactix 7 pro ballistics and I’ve got a couple of questions.
1: Should I be able to download the profiles I created using the ABMobile app to the Synapse app from the cloud using the same login?
2: Is there a way to push update the profile in the Synapse app from the watch once I’ve made changes on the watch like calibrating MV and DSF?

I have profiles from the Mobile app that I’ve sync'd to the web using the account login with my email address but haven’t been able to retrieve these profiles with the Synapse app using the lame login.
I created a profile on the Synapse app and pushed it to the watch and then tuned it using data from my Kestrel but haven’t figured out how to update the profile in Synapse with that info.
I believe you have to manually enter the corrected MV into the profile on the app. I've found no method for pulling data from the watch to the app

Reactions: WVshooter
Not sure where the best place to ask this question is with starting a new thread...

But the new instinct 2x with AB, it think its about $700-800 with the soft ware. That is about the max of my budget. I have the Fury 5000 AB binos. Even with the mil discount, the Fenix 7 pro Bal is out of my price range.

I have seen the older tactix delta AB for around 700-800 used.

Question, do any of you have experience with both, and can you advise on the New instinct 2 ballistics vs the last gen tactix delta?

Thanks!!!

Ryan

I’ve had the Instinct 2X for about a month now and it’s a pretty sweet piece of kit. Managing the data is more difficult than the kestrel but you’ll never forget it at home. Also it will pair with the binos and kestrel so it can do a lot if you take the time to learn it all - which I haven’t yet. The screen is smaller than the Tactix so that could be a problem for aging eyes.
I like all the pieces in the AB environment and they all have their use. For example setting up a match on the watch would really suck but for backpacking and hunting it would save time and space. The Sig 10k do it all as well but don’t do the environmentals well by themselves if you aren’t super careful.
For hunting and general use the Garmin are great and I’m going to get the temperature sensor to go with mine for this use. The binos with AB could stand alone for this use as well. The Kestrel does a lot of heavy lifting and is the best tool for prepping matches.
More answers thanks you asked for but it seemed appropriate information.