• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Garnish critique s

Mojojive77

Private
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2020
79D2CFE0-1096-49FC-BCD6-8203CAE76E17.jpeg
Hey everybody, I was thinking of trying a Ghillie for hunting whitetails at ground level this year so I tied in a base layer on a viper hood. I’ll probably be hunting in mostly hardwoods during fall and winter in Tn and Sc. Will this be effective as a base? Will tie in several patches of American Beech leaves b/c they persist after all other leaves are on the ground, and they’re scattered all over the understory in the southeast. They will be a good contrasting color which will help breakup human outline, hopefully. I also made a custom rifle ghillie for the 30cal. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
Bryan
B758922F-2D6B-49ED-A996-0166A752586F.jpeg
B758922F-2D6B-49ED-A996-0166A752586F.jpeg
2333954D-9322-49DF-914B-854E797B7A53.jpeg
1147469E-BC09-4747-8A6A-D7894E5224E9.jpeg
401300D4-B254-42DC-903A-32ED8592AB84.jpeg
73AEC949-CCEF-4E70-B6F5-3810DF6DD29C.jpeg
52E75DB5-9CFF-4C82-854B-3DD62B7C835A.jpeg
9F72AF76-9C8C-43D0-9C40-7D08358A0DEF.jpeg
13DEB19F-F125-4180-A895-5A88699BD10F.jpeg
B3107909-CDCA-4BBF-BABB-F9036447189C.jpeg

Reactions: E-Tool
You can hunt white tail at ground level in jeans and a t shirt if you can sit still and the wind is in your face. From my experience all they see is change in silhouette, so as long as you don’t make yourself bigger or smaller while they are looking at you, your good to go.

Does Tn and Sc not require hunter orange?
Not for archery. I’m hoping the viper will work, being so minimalist for a ghilliesuit. I’ve been wanting to try something different because when I hunt from the ground I almost always get picked by deer no matter how still I am, brand of Camo I’m using, and with the wind in my favor. I use the same tactics when it comes to camouflage/concealment while turkey hunting, and I have no problems(usually😬).
Deer supposedly can’t see detail like turkeys, but I’ve been spotted way more by deer. Unless I get busted by movement at the wrong time turkeys have been within 10yards and never knew I was there. I’m hoping maybe the textures of a ghillie will be more convincing to the deer that I’m part of the natural environment and not a strange, new out of place blob, sitting in the middle of their living room that wasn’t there yesterday. I see why they might feel threatened by the scenario, and start their investigation by nose which always ends with white flags waving goodbye

Reactions: E-Tool
Maybe a hi-vis orange ghillie so elmer fudd doesn’t think he just bagged sasquatch.
Deer will smell you if you are upwind before they see you.
True that. I wonder if that burlap smell of the ghillie will spook deer by itself.? Even after dragging it through the mud it still has that unique smell once dried. On another note, has anybody else ever had issues with accidentally inhaling some of those fine jute fibers while on a stalk? Trying to suppress a cough with a piece of that microscopic jute in your throat is 🤬

This is pretty low tech, but what we used to do before a hunt was to build a fire with downed timber from the hunting area, then take our hunting clothes and hold them over the smoke from the fire for awhile. The scent of the smoke from the campfire is a naturally occuring odor and in theory wouldn’t spook game if they got a whiff.
If they smelled cigarettes, BO, or detergents from your washing machine, poof they gone.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Fire ants are going to like you....

in SC I like to be up in the air in a climber. Solves a lot of issues and helps forgive you of bad habits.

Well here’s an update for you. It didn’t work for shit! The first doe that came with in 15 yards busted my ass and let everybody know it. I’m going back to ASAT!

I was looking for a ghillie thread, I have a couple coming together. Took a break to work on rifle and tripod covers, did you make that rifle wrap? it’s pretty nifty looking.

I sewn some netting to small sections of old uniforms to strap on and never thought to add tiedowns like elastic before I started.