• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas block installation

HOMELESSRDP

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2008
Lansing, Michigan
When installing a gas block that is held in with set screws should drill a small detent for the set screw or is there a better way to stop it from moving?

Thanks for any help
Ryan

Re: Gas block installation

The best way to keep it from moving is to pin it like a front sight.

Rainier Arms makes two little jigs, one to drill the dimples for the set screws, and one for installing a taper pin (only works with the SPR style gas block). Or you could send it off to Adco Firearms to be taper pinned.

Normally, the barrel should come with a small detent already. If you have the precision equipment to make that hole just right: go for it. Otherwise, I'd pay a competent gunsmith a few bucks to make sure you get it just right. "Kinda close" will give you regrets when it doesn't function the way you want. I never had the need to pin anything: don't use the gas block as a hammer. I shoot through barrels way too fast to worry about pinning stuff.

Now, I also have a Yankee Hill gas block that simply uses friction and never had a problem with it. Keep in mind that pinning was necessary when attaching bayonets to the front sight post...not really necessary for civilian uses.

IMO the set screw type gas blocks are the last choice. There are plaenty of clamp on gas blocks available that don't stress the barrel and are adjustable for slight windage corrections.