• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gas block, suppressor, and fine tuning.

snarlbuckle

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2010
From what I gather, it can be very helpful when using a precision DI rifle to have an adjustable gas block for fine tuning. Some have said that having it properly tuned can help accuracy simply by delaying the cycling of the rifle until after the bullet leaves the barrel or at least by lessening the vibrations that moving parts cause. So adjustable gas block = good.

What if you want to turn off your gas system for single-shot operation? And further, what if you have a suppressor and need finely tuned settings for unsuppressed, suppressed, and off?

The only adjustable gas blocks I've seen on the market have been the set screw type and the two or three position type that can't be finely tuned.

So is there a magical gas block that can have two finely tuned positions and an off position that can be changed quickly on the fly?

Edit: grammar

Re: Gas block, suppressor, and fine tuning.

It may not be your magic bullet but i use & like JP Enterprize adjustable gas block. I use it on a grendel suppressed & unsuppressed. Works great!

The only thing that fits what you describe is a Noveske Switchblock, that has the tumbler tuned to your suppressor.

I have a .308 Bushmaster and I want to be able to use it suppressed and non-supressed. Can I just get an adjustable gas (JP) block and turn it down and still be able to use it with our without a suppressor with out changing the setting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a .308 Bushmaster and I want to be able to use it suppressed and non-supressed. Can I just get an adjustable gas (JP) block and turn it down and still be able to use it with our without a suppressor with out changing the setting? </div></div>

The JP block is adjusted using a set screw. Basically, it is designed to tune the gas system to keep the bolt from slamming back and forth so violently, then loc tite the adjustment screw in place.

The Noveske Switch Block is better designed for what you and the OP are looking to do.

The switchblock was not made for .308 and I don't know that it would work on one.

The Syrac gas block might be better in that regard or one from Paladin Machine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 33shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The switchblock was not made for .308 and I don't know that it would work on one.

The Syrac gas block might be better in that regard or one from Paladin Machine. </div></div>

Really??? Wow I guess I have imaginary Noveske switchblock's on my GAP10's in .308 and 6 Creedmor...Weird.

I have a JP on a 300 blackout upper I put together. It's low profile under a rifle length hand guard. I swapped out the stock adjustment screw for a longer one and ground a slot in the head with a dremel. Now I can adjust or turn off the gas with a quarter. Looks a little getto but is very functional. The upper is a side charger so with the gas off its basically a bolt action. Very quiet with a suppressor and easier to pick up brass at the bench