• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas block

Mace06

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2011
Louisiana
Hello guys it's been a while. I'm trying to put a rifle together and the only uppers I can find have a fixed front sight. I've never bought one that's had it but that's all I can seem to find and would like to know if I did can that be removed and a gas block put on? thanks

Also be aware that barrels have different diameters where the gas block mounts; so make sure that the block you order/have matches the barrel on the upper.

Another thing to be aware of is the gas blocks can mount with a set screw, clamped on, or pinned. If you could see what the upper you are looking to purchase uses, this may help you pick a gas block.

The typical a2 front sight gas lock has drift pins that need to be pushed out specifically from one side to another. The direction varies with manufacturer.

^^ All of the above. ^^

Additionally, if the muzzle device IS pinned, you can still get the FSB off, but it may require you to engage a gunsmith's services to have the current device taken off (it'll ruin it, so be prepared for another muzzle device and a pin/weld job) so that the FSB can be removed. If you are just wanting to move to a FF handguard setup or wanting a handguard that would otherwise cover up the gas block area...there are some companies out there that make 2-pc gas blocks that clamp together top/bottom that will allow you to keep a pinned/welded muzzle device in place. Most barrel nuts for use with a FF handguard will slip right over the pinned device so that's a non-issue. Just cut off the current FSB with a dremel or suitable tool for the job and move on from there.

Anything else and you should be GTG with the basic set of tools required for any assembly/disassembly work on an AR.

Another thing to mention if you plan on covering it with a hand guard. I have seen where people have cut down the A2 front sight, smooth it and paint it. Essentially creating a low profile gas block on a budget.

as long as the muzzle device isn't pinned and welded.
The ones I've looked at look like there just pinned and set but you gave me a good idea on just cutting it down and smoothing it out I'm sure it would still look pretty decent I might try that unless you guys have a upper for sale haha

^^ All of the above. ^^

Additionally, if the muzzle device IS pinned, you can still get the FSB off, but it may require you to engage a gunsmith's services to have the current device taken off (it'll ruin it, so be prepared for another muzzle device and a pin/weld job) so that the FSB can be removed. If you are just wanting to move to a FF handguard setup or wanting a handguard that would otherwise cover up the gas block area...there are some companies out there that make 2-pc gas blocks that clamp together top/bottom that will allow you to keep a pinned/welded muzzle device in place. Most barrel nuts for use with a FF handguard will slip right over the pinned device so that's a non-issue. Just cut off the current FSB with a dremel or suitable tool for the job and move on from there.

Anything else and you should be GTG with the basic set of tools required for any assembly/disassembly work on an AR.

what company makes the two piece gas block?

Yankee hill machine makes several 2 piece gas blocks.

I need them in CT

what company makes the two piece gas block?

+1 on YHM. Their Spectre gas block does the trick and I have installed them for friends on quite a few barrels with permanently attached FH.

There is another company that I was thinking about also, but for the life of me I can't find the link I thought I had. I'll try running a search after while and if I come across it...I'll post it for you. They weren't one of the "big" outfits, but a company that was making them as a solution to having to @#$% around with the permanently attached muzzle device on 14.5" barrels. Drives me nuts when I can't find stuff I know I had a link to at one time. Sorry...

if it's not pinned and welded, get a JP adjustable, and their muzzle brake. feels like a light 243, and worth the money for sure.