• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas Blocks?

WxWatcher

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Norman, OK
Getting towards the end of part gathering for a build, and now down to the operation system.

I was thinking about an AA piston, but and having second thoughts so now considering DI with NB bcg.

When it comes to the gas block (low profile), is the clamp on style better/worse then a set screw type...with regards to affecting accuracy or just staying in place over prolonged time?

Open to thoughts/opinions. Thanks.

Re: Gas Blocks?

Clamp-on is my choice.

At 55in/lbs torque... you've got bigger problems if sumpin'
made your gas block move while still in your hands or while it was near-by.

BTW, tests were done and your barrel will be damaged before the clamp-on gb fails you.

If you are really a stickler about getting the most accuracy out of your barrel, I would stick with a clamp on type. There was a very interesting thread I read that goes into getting the utmost in accuracy out of an AR platform that talks about gas blocks along with other things:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2300381
The thread gets a little derailed at times, but otherwise has good information. I'd check it out, I think it should give you some useful insight.
If you want to get more to the point in that thread, go to where there is a lengthy quote from Robert Whitley. Also a few other members in the thread make mention of clamp on gas blocks.

I've had setscrew gas blocks walk on me. The one that did it worst was an AR-10 with a chromoly bbl. Just too hard of a bbl to set the setscrews into. Now, on all my setscrew gasblocks I dimple the barrel for the screws. It's a pain. I really only do this on carbines where I want to use a low profile gas block under a freefloat tube/rail. For everything else, I feel it's easier, more secure and potentially more accurate with the clamping style gasblock.

On that AR-10 I tried a lowpro vltor clamping gasblock, but it impinges on the rail during fire(barrel whip). The screws and shape of it are too big for it to really work with a free float rail. (The inside of this rail is big too, SWS E1.) It seems to have killed the accuracy. Eventually I'll figure out a solution. (Either I get a 20" bbl and ditch the pointless 16" carbine bbl or I'll get a setscrew gasblock and dimple the bbl.)

A lot of information in that thread, InArdusFidelis, thanks. Seems like clamp on is maybe the better route. Still torn between DI and piston, but we'll see what side of the fence I'm on when I have the money to purchase the system. LOL.

On a side note, how do you post pics?

Clamp on is my choice. I have had several JP's but have since started using SYRAC adj blocks. I like the ease of adjustment as well as the low profile design.

Pistons are ok & have some benefits. I however feel they do not trump DI in all situions. Also, they limit some of the options available to your gun. I do think they are great for a hard core, high volume beater SHTF gun.
*(I have owned multiple piston systems made by Adams Arms)