• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gas Gun Barrel Contour Question...

Victor Co Heather

Victor Company USA
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2006
SOCAL USA
www.victorcompanyusa.com
Does barrel contour affect accuracy in precision gas guns? (AR10 AR15?)

Case in point: I have a precision AR rig with a 22" broughton heavy contoured barrel and I want to lose some weight off it. The plan is cutting it down to 20" and turning a medium govt profile to it.

It shouldn't affect the accuracy right?

Re: Gas Gun Barrel Contour Question...

yes and no, depending on how quickly or slowly you fire strings of fire, the barrel might heat up enough to start walking shoots around. Kind of along the same concept that a sporter barreled bolt gun when heated up starts throwing shots in unpredictable places other than your POA

why not have it fluted.....2" off the end won't help the weight much at all where the flute job may

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why not have it fluted.....2" off the end won't help the weight much at all where the flute job may </div></div>

I was thinking that profiling it down would lose even more weight than a flute job. Taking the 2 inches off the front is mainly because the thing is as long as a telephone pole. Damn longest AR I've ever seen.

Oh and note: it's a rifle length gas system.

Here are some pics of the beauty:

PrecAR2.jpg

PrecAR.jpg

Here is the barrel without the HG installed:

9.jpg

I'd sell the bbl and order another with the contour you want.

Many custom barrels are lapped AFTER final contouring, as they can change internal dimensions after a lot of metal removal. You can cut them shorter, but I wouldn't do a major re-contour.

You might not have any trouble, but I wouldn't take the chance on a nice bbl like that.

i am in total agreement with hellbender. why do you want to take the chance to ruin a perfectly good barrel when you may have to buy another one anyway

I have a Rock 5R barrel that is .936 out front to the gas block just so I could get the gas block over the barrel then from there back it's 1" till it steps up to 1.25 for a couple inches back to the chamber heavy as hell yes but my buddy who did my barrel for me says we can turn it down no problem when I want to reduce the weight of it