• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas Gun Trigger Pull Question

AlterEgo

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2008
Gents,

Many comments have been made here and there about the gas guns being more difficult to drive.

How different to gas gun recoil would a blowback gun (I'm thinking 10/22 here) be?

I'm thinking it would be similar to a gas gun, but please discuss...

Re: Gas Gun Trigger Pull Question

I'm no expert but I think the main difference is a gas gun has longer lock time. I think its about 12 miliseconds from the time the sear releases the hammer until the firing pin hits the primer. A bolt gun lock time is about 2 miliseconds. This means a gas gun has to be held on target 6 times longer after the trigger is pulled than does a bolt rifle.

Right, I'd think a 10/22 has similar lock time to an AR for example (still a hammer fired FCG).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlterEgo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gents,

Many comments have been made here and there about the gas guns being more difficult to drive.

How different to gas gun recoil would a blowback gun (I'm thinking 10/22 here) be?

I'm thinking it would be similar to a gas gun, but please discuss... </div></div>

So what is it your are trying to understand?

I'm not exactly sure how lock time would factor in, nor do I think a 10/22 would simulate a centerfire auto very well. The argument of a bolt 22LR as a trainer I can see, the auto not as much.
I think the biggest factor in the difference between a gas gun and a bolt is the simplicity of the bolt action(or single shot for that matter). There is a whole lot of shit going on inside that gas gun when you pull the trigger. So it's not so much the lock time as it is the whole recoil and firing cycle.

While this review is more about the optic... you can gather from it how Lowlight pulls the trigger on an AR, which should give you an idea on how to do so yourself:

Elcan Video Review

Lock time isn't necessarily different between a gas gun and a blowback or direct impingement gun. Lock time is all about the mass of the object that strikes the primer. Bolt actions have such short lock time because their firing pin is just a little spring-loaded needle inside the bolt that flys forward when released. A self-loading rifle, whatever the design, has to have a hammer that can be re-cocked after every shot, which in turn strikes a firing pin that sets off the primer. This involves more mass, which takes a longer time to fire.

A gas gun can have just as quick or quicker of a lock time than a DI or blowback gun. It's all about the design and geometry of the hammer, sear, and firing pin.

I see it as henschman does, that the gas gun challenge lies in lock time. I don't agree that a gas gun has more going on b/t trigger pull and bullet leaving the barrel. All that other stuff (cycling) happens after the horse has already left the barn.

Basically the question is how applicable is a semi auto 22 as a trainer for a centerfire AR/FAL/etc.

I don't believe it's the mass so much as the fact that a striker fired gun's firing pin only moves a quarter inch or so.

Before the firing pin of a hammer fired action moves, the hammer has to rotate a big part of an inch.

Hammer mass has it's part, too, but the rotational distance is the big deal here. I think.

I agree the distance probably has more of an effect on the lock time. Than again, how much does one realy move in 4 miliseconds? is there a real desernable effect on accuracy in a stable firing position? at longer ranges everything is amplified, but how far is far with a 5.56 autoloader? I wonder just how important some of these little things are in the grand sceme? other than good banter fodder.

I think that the effects of a flinch are multiplied a lot with a gas gun. Fundamentals come into play much more, which is why it is so much harder to shoot one well.

I can't explain the technical aspect of the recoil in a gas gun, since I am not qualified to even suggest what goes on during recoil. There is a lengthy discussion, not to mention a very heated discussion between our Commadant and a few other folks here already. BTW, wondering what ever became of that.

However, one thing I know for sure, and that is gas gun takes a bit more practice to be consistent when compared to bolt gun, at least in my case.