• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas length for 16" 6.5 Creedmoor

I’m still shooting a variety of factory ammo to see what it likes. Hornady 147 and Winchester 140 have showed exceptional results. Hornady 140 did 0.8 MOA averaging four 5 round 100 yard groups. I want to shoot Federal 130 and a few others before doubling back.

Both barrels are Bartlein 5R’s that I chambered, ported, etc. I haven’t finalized my gas port diameter yet and am currently using an adjustable gas block. My “finalized” barrel will not utilize an adjustable gas block.

thanks for the update. I see Wilson is offering 16” 6.5C barrels (most likely what I would do). Glad to hear it worked out.

Which are you preferring? Rifle or rifle plus 1? Standard or low mass operating system?

Which are you preferring? Rifle or rifle plus 1? Standard or low mass operating system?

Standard BCG and I’ll be moving forward with the rifle +1” gas length. A low mass BCG could be an interesting route for mitigating gas port diameter.

Bumping an old thread to see if y'all ever reached a consensus on what worked and what didn't.

I see Wilson combat is doing a "kac 13.25".
Criterion is also doing a rifle length 16".

All are unobtanium, but it's fun to postulate regardless.

Reactions: JimmyT
I put one together with a 16” Wilson Combat fluted barrel. Waiting on a Wilson combat adjustable gas block with a 13.25” gas tube to finish shooting for accuracy. Shot this at a club practice match at 600 yards. Nothing impressive with my hand loads that were shooting near MOA at 100 yards. Rifle shot a 6-8” group with FGMM factory loads with 140 grain SMKs.

I wanted this rifle to be my fall hunting rig is Westeren Washington Forrest land I hunt in. If I hunt eastern Washington, I’ll use a heavier 20” barreled 6.5 creedmoor to .30hate to do the job on deer. In the tight terrain in the Forrest area, taking my bolt gun feels like putting with my driver. Different tools for different rules.

Attachments

• BE25A92C-01F4-47B5-8B0A-CC3531F9438B.jpeg
    BE25A92C-01F4-47B5-8B0A-CC3531F9438B.jpeg
    523.6 KB · Views: 53
I’m still shooting a variety of factory ammo to see what it likes. Hornady 147 and Winchester 140 have showed exceptional results. Hornady 140 did 0.8 MOA averaging four 5 round 100 yard groups. I want to shoot Federal 130 and a few others before doubling back.

Both barrels are Bartlein 5R’s that I chambered, ported, etc. I haven’t finalized my gas port diameter yet and am currently using an adjustable gas block. My “finalized” barrel will not utilize an adjustable gas block.
Are you going with a smaller gas port size than you would use with a .308 16” barrel? I’m wondering if using a 25% smaller gas port size would allow the rifle to run without an adjustable gas block?

I put one together with a 16” Wilson Combat fluted barrel. Waiting on a Wilson combat adjustable gas block with a 13.25” gas tube to finish shooting for accuracy. Shot this at a club practice match at 600 yards. Nothing impressive with my hand loads that were shooting near MOA at 100 yards. Rifle shot a 6-8” group with FGMM factory loads with 140 grain SMKs.

I wanted this rifle to be my fall hunting rig is Westeren Washington Forrest land I hunt in. If I hunt eastern Washington, I’ll use a heavier 20” barreled 6.5 creedmoor to .30hate to do the job on deer. In the tight terrain in the Forrest area, taking my bolt gun feels like putting with my driver. Different tools for different rules.

I'm currently using a 16" 308 Wilson combat fluted ranger barrel with the JPnwilent buffer and 3 tungsten weights. Whole rifle with rugged razor and swfa 1-6 is around 9 pounds and very handy.

I tried running DA Nomad L on that rig and it was overgassed pretty bad.

Love the weight on the rig but my never happy critic wants to try a 16" rifle gas and maybe move to 6.5 to gain some range.

I'm digging the handy rifle.
I used to run a 20" 6.5 barrel with a 4-16 Atacr. Gun was more capable, but it never left the safe as I strongly prefer compact schlepable rigs.

Reactions: JimmyT
Well, I call my rifle the little bastard.... it’s very loud and the one no one wants!

when I get the Wilson gas block with the correct tube length... I’ll really be able to go for accuracy and precision.

I have a primary arms fixed 5 power sight to use for deer season. I’m using a Nightforce SHV 4-14 power to work up
the loads for the rifle.

it’s a lot of fun getting this thing to shoot and function correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptArab