• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gas piston retrofit

Iron55

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2012
Texas, United States
Any of you guys know if you have to replace your handguard with the Adam's Arms gas piston retrofit? If so, is there another better retrofit or one that you don't have to replace handguards? Also, is there a way to use my current BC, or do I have to have one specific ( I think I know that's a definite change). Is this a good idea, or a waste of time considering I am going to be running a suppressor on a 6.8?

Based on the questions you are asking, I'm betting that you haven't done much in the way of research into this conversion, its requirements/limitations, etc. AA has a ton of quality information on their site (see specifically the FAQ section) that will help to address your concerns, but in brief...

a) As to your handguard, it depends on what handguard you currently have as to whether you'll need to move to a different one or if your existing handguard will work with the AA piston conversion kits. See the FAQ's I mentioned above as there is an extensive list of handguard systems that have been proven to work with the AA conversions, as well as a specific list of those that will NOT work. All others not mentioned in the list are likely to need modification to work, but they can be made to work depending on whether or not you want to go that route or just replace the HG to avoid the headaches.

b) Your current bolt CARRIER will NOT work with the piston conversion. Your bolt will be used along with the AA piston carrier supplied in the conversion kit so that you don't have to worry with headspace/fitment issues switching to a different bolt.

c) The AA kits will work unmodified on your 6.8SPC/II, but you'll have to change the adjustments on the gas block to ensure proper function/cycling with your can installed.

Based on the questions you are asking, I'm betting that you haven't done much in the way of research into this conversion, its requirements/limitations, etc. AA has a ton of quality information on their site (see specifically the FAQ section) that will help to address your concerns, but in brief...

a) As to your handguard, it depends on what handguard you currently have as to whether you'll need to move to a different one or if your existing handguard will work with the AA piston conversion kits. See the FAQ's I mentioned above as there is an extensive list of handguard systems that have been proven to work with the AA conversions, as well as a specific list of those that will NOT work. All others not mentioned in the list are likely to need modification to work, but they can be made to work depending on whether or not you want to go that route or just replace the HG to avoid the headaches.

b) Your current bolt CARRIER will NOT work with the piston conversion. Your bolt will be used along with the AA piston carrier supplied in the conversion kit so that you don't have to worry with headspace/fitment issues switching to a different bolt.

c) The AA kits will work unmodified on your 6.8SPC/II, but you'll have to change the adjustments on the gas block to ensure proper function/cycling with your can installed.

Ah, now I feel dumb. Sorry I didn't look there first. I got all in a hurry. I appreciate you answering my question so thoroughly despite my absent mindedness. I greatly appreciate the help!