• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gas Port hole size

RTO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Does anyone have a recommendation for gas port hole size for 6 creedmoor? I'm curious if anyone has played with different sized gas port holes and if it made a difference or what size everyone seems to be using for adj gas block for the 6 creed.

Re: Gas Port hole size

Gas port size depends on the lenght of the barrel relative to the gas port location, as well as caliber.

Since this is a 6.5 Creedmore, I am assuming you are running a rifle length gas tube and at least a 20" barrel?

I would go with a .093 to start, which is pretty standard for .308 and .260.

As a maximum you can go up to a .098, which is an option since you will be using an adjustable gas block.

RTO,

.099" is standard with a selective (adjustable) gas system. If you are installing an adjustable system go that route. If you are not going to install an adjustable system, start small and you can always work up. .084" is what you should start with doing it that way. Open up the port as required only enough to make the rifle work with the load(s) intended.

Obviously, the adjustable method will give you more flexibility, but sometimes adjustable systems come 'un-adjusted' and therefore are a bit frustrating to maintain. A good system won't do that.

Thanks guys, Im building my own adjustable gas block so I just needed the hole size so I wasnt to small to be able to regulate properly. Thanks for all the input.

i'd just go to the bigger size, since you're going to be able to adjust it, drill it once and be done!