• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas port size for 6.5 Creedmoor

bobke

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2010
    Hill Country, Texas
    Having a 22" Bartlein with rifle length gas built and have an SLR adj .875 gas block inbound. What is correct gas port diameter/hole size to allow proper, balanced function without being undergassed? Have seen between .090 and .098. Thx.

Having a 22" Bartlein with rifle length gas built and have an SLR adj .875 gas block inbound. What is correct gas port diameter/hole size to allow proper, balanced function without being undergassed? Have seen between .090 and .098. Thx.

.086"

You can always open it up if it doesn't work for ya but you cannot make it smaller!

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Thank you, Frank-appreciate the quick reply. If I could indulge you a bit further, do you have a preference for a barrel diameter profile that consistently produces best harmonic behavior in 6.5 Creedmoor barrels for AR10's? Was thinking .950 and fluted under guard, .875 at GB and .860 to 22", but have not finalized spec with my smith yet. Wanting max accuracy and thermal stability, less concern for weight, though my current Criterion at .920 is a heavy piece, but quite accurate.

Thank you, Frank-appreciate the quick reply. If I could indulge you a bit further, do you have a preference for a barrel diameter profile that consistently produces best harmonic behavior in 6.5 Creedmoor barrels for AR10's? Was thinking .950 and fluted under guard, .875 at GB and .860 to 22", but have not finalized spec with my smith yet. Wanting max accuracy and thermal stability, less concern for weight, though my current Criterion at .920 is a heavy piece, but quite accurate.

I don't think one contour vs. the other has a distinct advantage. Your .875" gas block and .850"-.860" muzzle would be fine with the .950" under the hand guard etc.....

If you flute it I would flute it under the hand guard and do the muzzle end also if you want to get some weight out of it. If your just going to flute under the handguard your not going to get a ton of weight out of it and if your paying for it I would just skip it and save my money. For what your paying vs. the weight savings......is what you've got to decide. I wouldn't go any deeper than .075" on the flutes with that contour as a side note.

I like the .936" gas block and like a .875" muzzle etc....yes it's heavier and again I don't think there is a difference between the two contour wise though accuracy wise.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Appreciate your counsel, wisdom and damn fine barrels. My Grendel barrel from Bob Reynolds/Templar is a solid, heavy hitter-feel confident Paul Craddock will do likewise with this project. Thx again.

I have a 18.5"(rifle length gas system) Rock 5R. My gas port is .094 and worked very well without an adjustable.(Larue Lo pro gas block) I am now running the older model SLR (DA8) and had to open it up about 11 clicks (15 clicks from full closed to full open) to get proper function with commercial loads.

Last edited:
    How about buffer weight and springs-anything special there? Won't really know anything on my end till I'm in receipt of finished barrel, but current setup is std rifle buffer, flat wire Tubb spring and carrier weight insert, along with Rainier carrier and JP .936 adj lopro block. Ejects at 2-3 o'clock, not too hard on brass. Don't want to intentionally get too light or too small on gas port, nor over gassed to the point I have to suffocate it with adj gas block. Well balanced and good to brass works for me.

Armalite receivers, bcg, rifle buffer/srping. Always wondered what a tubbs spring or maybe a Jp silent captured spring would do. Might try that someday but if it aint broke... 20/20 I probably would have asked for the standard armalite rifle port at .099, but had the barrel built before all these nice adj gas blocks hit the market and i didn't want to take the chance on it being overgassed, figuring I could always open it up if needed. But for my gun, .094 might be on the small side of the scale. (Full open on the old SLR measured at .120) Send me a range report when you gettr built and tested.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...8-ar10-armalite-performance-enhancements.html

Last edited: