• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gasgun load in 6,5 Creedmoor

Lonewolf762

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2005
Netherlands.
I have a 20" 6,5 Creedmoor barrel on order for my LMT MWS, this will be my first rifle in 6,5 Creedmoor.
Been searching several forums but most of the info about reloading for the 6,5 Creedmoor is for bolt action rifles.
So what do you guys suggest for a load?

I use 142gr SMKs in my LMT. Just started loading for it actually. Found a good node with H4350 @ 41.5gr in small primer starline brass. I'd suggest starting at 40gr and working up from there. Getting single digit SD's and consistent 0.5-1 MOA groups at 100 yards. Haven't stretched it out yet.

Reactions: Lonewolf762
I use 142gr SMKs in my LMT. Just started loading for it actually. Found a good node with H4350 @ 41.5gr in small primer starline brass.

No problems with the small primers? As i have been reading the small primers give problems in a semi. I would prefur the small primers as well as Lapua brass is about the only brass with a reasonable availability here.

No problems with the small primers? As i have been reading the small primers give problems in a semi. I would prefur the small primers as well as Lapua brass is about the only brass with a reasonable availability here.
Proper port size, proper buffer, proper buffer spring K and don’t load it like its a bolt gun = zero issue with small primer pocket brass or large pocket brass either.
StarLine has done quite well for me, significantly cheaper than Lapua.

No problems with function of the rifle no. The only issue I have is that all the primers end up with a fair bit of cratering and what looks like ejector swipe on the case head so I thought it was overpressure day first. But even with lower charges under 40 grains I get that so I’m thinking it’s just because of the federal 205M primers themselves. Apparently they have really thin cups. I’ll try it with CCI 400 primers at some point to make sure.

But no the star line brass is excellent otherwise and has performed flawlessly in my rjfle

Proper port size, proper buffer, proper buffer spring K and don’t load it like its a bolt gun = zero issue with small primer pocket brass or large pocket brass either.

Well i have the L129A1 version and its still in standard configuration.

No problems with function of the rifle no. The only issue I have is that all the primers end up with a fair bit of cratering and what looks like ejector swipe on the case head so I thought it was overpressure day first. But even with lower charges under 40 grains I get that so I’m thinking it’s just because of the federal 205M primers themselves. Apparently they have really thin cups. I’ll try it with CCI 400 primers at some point to make sure.

Thanks for your feedback!
I was thinking of trying Magnum primers as they have harder cups, obviously with lower powder charge.

Well i have the L129A1 version and its still in standard configuration.

Thanks for your feedback!
I was thinking of trying Magnum primers as they have harder cups, obviously with lower powder charge.
6.5 Creed is typically slower burn rate powder than 308.
Higher port pressure for same/similar charge weight due to time / pressure curve.
Slightly heavier buffer, slightly higher buffer spring K.
GM205MAR, BR4, CCI450

Depending on port size in 6.5 Creed bbl, lighter bullet might work better, be easier to tune.

130 Berger AR Hybrid is probably best fit to most ARs in 6.5 Creed. 130 SMK right there also, nothing wrong with 123 SMK either.
I’m not a fan of 13-15 or more radius ogive bullets in gas guns as that creates as many, or more, problems as it solves. YMMV

6.5 Creed is typically slower burn rate powder than 308.
Higher port pressure for same/similar charge weight due to time / pressure curve.
Slightly heavier buffer, slightly higher buffer spring K.
GM205MAR, BR4, CCI450

Depending on port size in 6.5 Creed bbl, lighter bullet might work better, be easier to tune.

130 Berger AR Hybrid is probably best fit to most ARs in 6.5 Creed. 130 SMK right there also, nothing wrong with 123 SMK either.
I’m not a fan of 13-15 or more radius ogive bullets in gas guns as that creates as many, or more, problems as it solves. YMMV

Thanks for the info.

I will have to asume LMT will use the proper port size on their barrels, but i will look into a bit heavier buffer and spring just in case. I all ready have a full auto bolt carrier on order as well to get a bit more weight in.
When the barrel comes in i will first shoot it with some Federal Match with the 130 Berger as a benchmark.