• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gear Management at Matches/Field

rybe390

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2017
Hey folks!

I've started shooting a whole lot more recently, and I've found that while I'm entirely contained in a 40L pack, it's sort of becoming a hot mess at matches or at class when you're sifting through and grabbing things all the time.

I was hoping to see what folks do to help with gear management, so you don't yard sale all over the place every time you open up. I'd also like to have a good bit of this on my person, so I have essentials on body and supplement from the pack.

So far:
I've decided that bringing ammo boxes anywhere but to a bench is a no-go, so I just got some fehu outdoors brass bags. Hoping that cleans up the ammo situation. I also think I'm going to run my range finder on my belt, with a weather meter pouch attached to it. As far as the rest goes, daka pouches or similar to just contain stuff?

It's a matter of sifting through the pack to get what you need. With empty ammo boxes, magazines, jackets, range finders etc just rolling around, it's getting messy.

Any help would be appreciated!

Typical range day/match pack list for me includes:
Rifle
Ammunition
Magazines
Belt mag pouch
Wrist coach
Cole tac cheat sheet
Data cards 3x5
Notebook/pens/extra cards
Range finder
Weather meter
Binoculars
Bino mount
Rear bag
Positional bag, str8 laced
Tripod
Tool kit
Ifak
Ear pro
Shooting mat
Rain jacket
Sun hoodie
Water and snax.

I keep two mags on my belt and rotate those stage to stage. Movement between stages is bolt open, mag out, sometimes empty chamber indicator in. So having two mags on my belt gives me a mag for the stage and a spare in case of a jam issue.

Spent brass goes in a gallon zippy bag in a separate pouch on the outside of the pack.

I use an Eberlestock lo drag the most. Two AEM ammo management pouches with 40 rounds each goes in the bottom pouch along with binos. Depending on the match, the binos may be on my chest.

I still use my Sunrise Tactical wrist coach for stage data. Generic drop data for the DA is in there for quick reference. Notebook goes in top pouch of my main pack, inner zipper compartment so it's easy to get to. Red Tac Gear rear bag goes in upper main compartment.

Snacks go in the inner divided compartments. Tripod either goes in the rifle scabbard portion, or strapped to the side. Water bottle on the other side in the bottle pouch and carabineer clipped to a molle.

That's most of my management. The stuff I need frequent access to is top, ammo in the bottom. Works for me.

Reactions: mjh30 and RS14
Tactical-Baby-Stroller-Rifle-5.jpg

I keep two mags on my belt and rotate those stage to stage. Movement between stages is bolt open, mag out, sometimes empty chamber indicator in. So having two mags on my belt gives me a mag for the stage and a spare in case of a jam issue.

Spent brass goes in a gallon zippy bag in a separate pouch on the outside of the pack.

I use an Eberlestock lo drag the most. Two AEM ammo management pouches with 40 rounds each goes in the bottom pouch along with binos. Depending on the match, the binos may be on my chest.

I still use my Sunrise Tactical wrist coach for stage data. Generic drop data for the DA is in there for quick reference. Notebook goes in top pouch of my main pack, inner zipper compartment so it's easy to get to. Red Tac Gear rear bag goes in upper main compartment.

Snacks go in the inner divided compartments. Tripod either goes in the rifle scabbard portion, or strapped to the side. Water bottle on the other side in the bottle pouch and carabineer clipped to a molle.

That's most of my management. The stuff I need frequent access to is top, ammo in the bottom. Works for me.
Sounds like it works well!

I'm definitely going to get a second mag pouch, I've had the emergency reload but not the actual load and make ready mag. That'll be nice to just have on me.

Do you run stage dope or just run the arm board all the time? I use a Cole tac cheat sheet on the rifle, but I have my sunrise armboard with hard data that I use to build the stage.

That pack looks rad, the two compartments seem like a good solution to having one huge compartment where stuff gets lost. I'll look into that moving forward. Thanks!

Reactions: gebhardt02
@rybe390 for stage dope, given time, I'll generate actual data through my Kestrel prior to the stage. And that has its own separate pouch also on the top outside of the pack. In field matches where we range on the clock, I refer to my generic DA drops. I'll check DA throughout the day as time permits and make any necessary changes as needed.

That's why I use a Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger pack.
  1. it's small enough to force me to pack only what I need
  2. it has all sorts of various storage methods to separate an organize your gear.
  3. it allows me to worry less about finding what I need while at a match or elsewhere (range, hunt, etc.)

As for ammo, I can carry 100+ rounds of .260 in the TAB Gear SAC (Silent Ammo Carrier) in a much more compact way than in boxes. Plus it stores the empty brass separately from the ammo, for convenience.

1595892688203.png

All well made kit that will last and last.

That's why I use a Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger pack.
  1. it's small enough to force me to pack only what I need
  2. it has all sorts of various storage methods to separate an organize your gear.
  3. it allows me to worry less about finding what I need while at a match or elsewhere (range, hunt, etc.)

As for ammo, I can carry 100+ rounds of .260 in the TAB Gear SAC (Silent Ammo Carrier) in a much more compact way than in boxes. Plus it stores the empty brass separately from the ammo, for convenience.

View attachment 7384999

All well made kit that will last and last.
Thanks for the reply here.

Sounds like I'm on the right track by ditching ammo boxes and going to ammo bags, so glad that's all sorted. And as far as the rest goes, if your pack doesn't compartmentalize the gear for you, you do it yourself. I'll be looking at some packs to do so, but also some larger pouch style bags to at least contain gear a bit better inside the pack.

Don't think I have too much shit after seeing what others bring to matches/range days, it just all goes into the same pocket and get mixed over the course of a day.

Reactions: lash
@rybe390 for stage dope, given time, I'll generate actual data through my Kestrel prior to the stage. And that has its own separate pouch also on the top outside of the pack. In field matches where we range on the clock, I refer to my generic DA drops. I'll check DA throughout the day as time permits and make any necessary changes as needed.
Figured you wouldn't be doing it for on the clock work! Sounds like it works well for you. I ran off of my 3x5 card entirely for my last match, to generate stage data, and it worked very well for me. Only had to bust out the phone once for a 1300 yard target, 3x5 ran out at 1240.

Thanks for the input here!

I’ve got a medium daka with my ammo in it, and another that my brass goes in.

One thing I’ve yet to figure out is where to put my bag (Game Changer). It looks sloppy as fuck just clipped to the pack and swinging around, but it’s kind of a pain to dig it out of the pack. I’d prefer to not have stuff in my hands besides my rifle while moving between stages. Not a big deal for the square range matches, but I’d like to have a solution for field matches where you’re moving around more.

For data, I write my come-ups for every target next to the given distance in the match book and keep that in my back pocket. Rangefinder stays in the top outer pocket of the pack to verify range. I just got a kestrel, so I guess that’ll go on my belt.

Last edited:
Bank bags are like 3 for $18 at Office Depot. They are great for spent ammunition, and loaded ammunition so long as you don't run your neck tension so low that bumping around loose with screw with them. I also hang a bunch of stuff off of my spotter tripod. If you need to fully pack between stages, this won't really work. But for matches where you can leave the tripod open from stage to stage, I hang my dope sheets, kestrel, unused bags, and as often as not my back pack, from the tripod. This keeps everything together. You are right that ammo boxes suck in a back pack, but I sometimes still do it. If it's cold, I'll just wear my rain gear if I feel I may need it. If it is hot, I don't even bring rain gear, as I'll sweat as much inside of it as I would get wet without it. Put a mag in my back pocket and a spare in a cargo pocket on my pants.

I’ve got a medium daka with my ammo in it, and another that my brass goes in.

One thing I’ve yet to figure out is where to put my bag (Game Changer). It looks sloppy as fuck just clipped to the pack and swinging around, but it’s kind of a pain to dig it out of the pack. I’d prefer to not have stuff in my hands besides my rifle while moving between stages. Not a big deal for the square range matches, but I’d like to have a solution for field matches where you’re moving around more.

For data, I write my come-ups for every target next to the given distance in the match book and keep that in my back pocket. Rangefinder stays in the top outer pocket of the pack to verify range. I just got a kestrel, so I guess that’ll go on my belt.
I'm going to try putting data on the match book, that's a solid call. Good way to just have it all done before hand.

I clip my bags to the outside of the pack. It looks sloppy as hell, but, I'm ALWAYS using them. I'm looking into packs that have some compartmentalization and if they have a good spot for a bag, I'll stuff it there.

The bags for ammo is the way to go it seems. Almost everyone who commented is using a bag instead fo boxes. That's step one for me!

Reactions: JC0352
The bags for ammo is the way to go it seems. Almost everyone who commented is using a bag instead fo boxes. That's step one for me!
Another option is an ammo novel from Cole Tac, or the 40/40 ammo carrier from Armageddon Gear. They cost more but are purpose-built for this task. The neck tension on my ammo is sufficient to where I don’t worry about carrying it all in a simple bag.

I've used these Cumberland Concepts bags to help organize the inside of my packs by color code.

1596064900987.png

For Example:

Orange = Range gear like staple gun, targets, sharpies, tape, glue stick, ruler, etc...
Gray = Ammo and mags
Tan = Slings, bipod feet, Mechanix Gloves, etc..
Red = First Aid
Black = MISC Field Gear

They're pretty cheap, so far have been pretty durable, and available in all kinds of colors.

I run the 2 day assault pack from mystery ranch works great, Carriyies my ammo,gamechanger, rear support , rangfinder, kestrel ,tools all inside. I hang my big bag from the back. Best part is the bag butterflies open so u don't have to dig all the way to the bottom to get stuff out

I acutally just got a Nomad 2 with a gunsling for field matches.
The scabbard looks like over kill tbh.

Yeah, Kifaru aren't selling the scabbard directly because of a bit of a d*ck move by E'stock, as I understand it - so it's only at The Extreme Store.

At least there's still the other two options for carry - the Gun Bearer or the Sherman Pocket.

But, @Mk32784, if you're not running a scabbard up the back of the Nomad, why did you got with that option for matches? Was it just the ease of the two separate pockets, or something else? Do you use the MOLLE/PALS ladder on the Nomad for anything else?

Yeah, Kifaru aren't selling the scabbard directly because of a bit of a d*ck move by E'stock, as I understand it - so it's only at The Extreme Store.

At least there's still the other two options for carry - the Gun Bearer or the Sherman Pocket.

But, @Mk32784, if you're not running a scabbard up the back of the Nomad, why did you got with that option for matches? Was it just the ease of the two separate pockets, or something else? Do you use the MOLLE/PALS ladder on the Nomad for anything else?

I am using the gun bearer with the Nomad 2, so the gun goes on the pals ladder centered and close to my back. And the two bladders go over it. Very comfortable, i am also still messing around with the configuration. But the plan is to use this for field matches were I have to carry the gun a fair distance. For shorter walks I just carry the gun on my shoulder.

For matches that don't have any real distance, I use a Mystery Ranch Scree for my gear and just carry the gun.

Look at photography back packs.... compartments and padding... i can run 50rnd ammo boxes stacked neatly... and the compartments keep shit easy to find!!!!!!

Screenshot_20200802-142813_Chrome.jpg

Ditch the little camera bag that comes with it a.d take out most of the dividers.lower compartment I stack ammo boxes either 50 or factory 20 rnds. Upper large area is bags a d general use small compartments for electronics and matchbook.

Pack less stuff!!

Reactions: Lightning8
Lose the shooting mat. No need for it at matches. I still carry my ammo in boxes as they stack up nice in my small insulated bag. I can load 40 rounds in mags and then carry another 4 boxes for a day of shooting.

I use a Eberlestock FAC Track pack with 2 liter extension packs on both sides. Holds everything you listed minus the tripod which I don't carry. I load it up and go. Everything easily reached and doesn't need to be spread out like a yard sale.

The foldable wagon is the best for matches without much terrain. Back is the only way to go when your climbing over rocks and obstacle.

Lose the shooting mat. No need for it at matches. I still carry my ammo in boxes as they stack up nice in my small insulated bag. I can load 40 rounds in mags and then carry another 4 boxes for a day of shooting.

I use a Eberlestock FAC Track pack with 2 liter extension packs on both sides. Holds everything you listed minus the tripod which I don't carry. I load it up and go. Everything easily reached and doesn't need to be spread out like a yard sale.
I'm getting more mags, hands down. Everyone has commented that 4 mags makes life easier and I'm realizing reloading a mag every single stage is just stressful haha.

I will only bring the mat if it's a range day. I certainly don't carry it all day at a match.

I'll post some pictures here or an update once I have it all sorted out if anyone cares. I got some organizer baggies for the inside of the pack, and I'm consolidating the equipment.

I use the LA Police gear 3 day backpack 2.0. They cost $43, before the hide discount. I put my data gathering items in the bottom exterior pouch (kestrel, notebook, arm band, rangefinder). Top exterior pouch holds misc stuff like keys, snacks, ear plugs, etc. Main compartment holds ammo, muffs, and support bags.

I carry my ammo in AEM Precision 40 round holders in the main compartment.

I use the rifles only slap bracelet with the viewing window covered with 2" masking tape. I write each stages dope on it, along with my scores, hot chicks phone numbers, etc.

I hang the pack under my tripod with binos.

I may use some of the suggestions here to improve on this.

Last edited:
If a person would like a shooting mat, but doesn't want the weight/bulk of a padded mat; a good compromise is a small painters tarp. If dampness is a concern, then buy some raw cardura canvas. both can be folded up into rather small bundles about the size of a small fortune cookie bag

I'm getting more mags, hands down. Everyone has commented that 4 mags makes life easier and I'm realizing reloading a mag every single stage is just stressful haha.

Extra mags are always good to have. Plus they make convenient ammo carriers. The one caveat to not loading mags after each stage is that you may grab the partially filled mag for the next stage. Especially if they’re getting jumbled in the bag.

Back to the topic at hand, Safariland makes an interesting bag called their shooters range bag.

6641AD6F-813F-4E7D-994B-4F546035540E.jpeg

I use a Mystery Ranch 3DAP to carry my gear for matches. 2 mags and a Kestrel go on my belt, another 5 mags go inside my pack, 2 in mag pouches on the inner molle, 3 in an AG chassis magazine triple pocket. Another 40 rounds goes in one half of an AG 40/40 ammo holder. Gives me 124 rounds, which is normally enough for a one-day match or one day of a 2-day. If it's a heavy round count, I'll load up the other half of the 40/40. Spent brass goes in a drop pouch on the back of my belt at the end of a stage and then gets transferred into an old climbing shoe mesh bag that's clipped to the inner molle of the pack. Inside the pack is rain gear, cleaning kit, Fixit sticks, water and gatorade, food, sunny case with spare lenses, data book and an AG sticky Pint-Size GC with Git-Lite. The pockets on the lid get LRF binos (unless there's ranging on the clock, then they're in a HPG chest harness/Recon kit bag), protein and fruit bars and my sidewinder. Tripod (usually with spotter on it) hangs low in an old canteen pouch on the lower back of the pack and is strapped down with the pack's top compression strap. Water bottle in one of the side pockets and an AG Pint-size heavy fill Gamechanger is in the other side pocket (and clipped to exterior molle) and an AG Fat Bag is clipped to the ext molle. Rifle is carried slung patrol style. I wear an AG Competition Armband to manage my data for PRS/NRL type matches but also carry a Sunrise Tactical armboard in my pack in case it's raining (bigger surface to write on with Grease pen cause the markers for the small AG one don't work well in the wet) or for team matches with ranging on the clock.

If a person would like a shooting mat, but doesn't want the weight/bulk of a padded mat; a good compromise is a small painters tarp. If dampness is a concern, then buy some raw cardura canvas. both can be folded up into rather small bundles about the size of a small fortune cookie bag

Those are great options. I also like to grab tent footprints for discontinued tents. You can usually find them on clearance for $10-$20. Here's an example of a Nemo footprint for $13!

Those are great options. I also like to grab tent footprints for discontinued tents. You can usually find them on clearance for $10-$20. Here's an example of a Nemo footprint for $13!
I am literally a tent product manager, and have never thought of this. This and 4 stakes is TINY compared to most mats.