• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gearing up for a new build, 6.5 x 47

BenTerrible

Which way did my bullet go?
Minuteman
May 26, 2009
Setting up to drop the hammer on a fresh start this year with a new rifle from AO. Looking for thoughts on this please:

AI AX chassis
SP TAC30AW short action
Bartlein 1:8, M24 contour, chambered for 6.5 x 47 Lapua, finish at 22"
APA brake
Jewell Trigger
Atlas Bipod

-BT

Last edited:
I've built with several Aw's. Same as the TAC30 but has the feed rails cut back so you can run the double stack AW mags. Really built for the longer 260's,243's and such. But will work fine either way. Not sure it matters, but just keep in mind you cannot use the AW action with a BDL style bottom metal.

Last edited:
I have a 21" 6.5x47 and I run the 130's at 2800 (H4350) and 107's at 3000 (RL-15), both moderate pressure loads. Figure about +/- 30-40fps from adding/subtracting barrel between 20" and 24", and +/- 20-30fps above 24" to 28".

With a short 22" barrel, definitely go with a brake. There is a higher recoil impulse in a short barrel vs long one.

I have a Tac30 and enjoy it a good bit.

Don't like your stock choice but that is 100% personal ergonomic decision.

Last edited:
I have built quite a few 6.5x47s and they are great cartridges and performers.

None have used all the same parts as you but with good assembly and craftsmanship the 6.5x47 will impress you.

J R CUSTOM

Thanks to all for the replies!

As stated, I will be running the AX chassis. Initially I thought I would be able to run the AW double stack magazine for this set up. I was informed today that this is not the case, single stack only.

Anyone care to shed light on this? I see plenty of sources physically showing a double stack mag being pulled out of the AX chassis. Am I unable to use the double stack because of the TAC30?

I am kind of lost here...???

-BT

Thanks to all for the replies!

As stated, I will be running the AX chassis. Initially I thought I would be able to run the AW double stack magazine for this set up. I was informed today that this is not the case, single stack only.

Anyone care to shed light on this? I see plenty of sources physically showing a double stack mag being pulled out of the AX chassis. Am I unable to use the double stack because of the TAC30?

I am kind of lost here...???

-BT

Does the TAC30 have the AW cut? If so, you can run AW mags.

My first custom rifle I used a contour similar to a M24, regretted going that heavy. Since, I've used medium and heavy palma contours. With that stock, a 22" Heavy Palma would be my choice.

Yup, TAC30AW. Got this figured out!

Very excited for this build to come together!