• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Geees!!.... is this the usual BS when reloading the 357sig?

68bthp

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2011
TX
Speer .357sig Gold Dot Bullets are out of stock, so I am using Rem 124grJHP bullets with once fired Speer cases for range practice. I'm using a Lee factory Crimp die to put a really gorilla strong crimp on the bullet to hold it in place, AND STILL, THE GLOCK 33 SLIDE PUSHES THE BULLET INTO THE CASE! Yes, I know the 357sig case has a very shallow neck, but I was shocked that even a super tight crimp can't hold the bullet firm. My only hope now is that perhaps the crimp is partly on the bullet ogive.....and the 357sig Speer bullet may eliminate that problem if it has a longer bearing surface. I've been doing handloading for pistols now since the 1970's for everything from the 380, 45, 9mm, 40SW, and the 10mm to the 44Mag. But my first experience trying to load the 357sig at my bench yesterday has been a real problem and a first for me!! I have a gulp in my throat, & sinking feeling " Did I just blow $800!!" ......because if I can't reload for a pistol, then I don't keep it.

Anybody out there handloading for the Glock 357sig experience this? Have you had better luck with your handloads then this? What bullets are you using? Can you use once fired cases before it gets too weak to grip the bullet firmly?

Last edited:
I think the problem you described is pretty common. Knowing this, I bought a spare 40 cal barrel for my SIG 226. Works perfectly and the ammo is easy to load. Two minute changeover back to 357.

What diameter are the bullets that you are attempting to load? I think that .357 sig bullets are .357, not .355 (9mm) but i'm not sure so a 124g intended for 9mm will not work quite correct in a .357 sig. I also believe that if you are using lee dies, they will have multiple dimensions for the die. From experience with a .38 super I know this, the dies sized the case ID to .356, not .355. I sent the die back and they sent me a .355 die. In general a crimp is not used to hold the bullet in place, its there to remove the belling from the case mouth and in some cases it assists with holding the bullet. Size a case. Measure the ID and attempt to insert a bullet, if you can get it in there its too big; get a smaller sizing die or bigger bullets. I was frustrated when I first tried to load .38 super but I got it all worked out.

Last edited:
I quickly stopped reloading for the 357 sig, sold both the brass, barrel then replaced it with a 40 cal, life is good again.

What diameter are the bullets that you are attempting to load? I think that .357 sig bullets are .357, not .355 (9mm).

No.

However, bullets intended for 9mm don't work in 357sig because the shape is wrong. 357 requires the truncated cone shape, to keep the bearing surface somewhere the case mouth can be crimped onto it while still fitting the magazine.

Last edited:
HodgonExtreme is telling it like it is, you must load only those bullets specifically designated for the 357 sig, OR those that the mfgs specifically say work well in the factory published data. Remember, the 357 sig Headspaces on the CASE MOUTH.

Hodgdon and pawprint,

I was desperate and ran this question on another websight forum as well. What you say is exactly what I read there as well.

The shape of the bullet and ogive in relation to the OAL and bearing surface of the neck all makes a difference. I have wasted $30 on these Remington 9mm JHP bullets, which I was told by these other guys too that they just will just not work. Never mind the 3 hours hand loading 50 cartridges individually....and now another 2 hours having to take them apart and toss the crushed bullets, and reload the cases! But, at least now I have hope that my new gun will work properly if I feed it the proper handloads. I was told XTP's work fine. I will wait for Gold Dots to reappear on the market again. Those Speer 9mm bullets are designated "357sig" and should work.

Thanks for the help.

Wideners reloading is showing these in stock as I post.
SE4731 357 SIG (.355) 125gr TMJ $89.75 / 600

I've shot a lot of these, they work great!

Ive never had a problem... i reload thousands of them.... i use 40 cal brass and run it through a rcbs 357sig die... then load with 9mm bullets... i run a glock 32... not once have i had this happen to me.... your doing something wrong... ive used speer, hornady, remington bullets... amd just loaded up some lead cast bullets the other day.... no problems at all... i cant puah in or pull out the bullet by hand its so tight.... very weird to read... as ive never had a problem... only thing i can see is if your not seating the bullet to the right length and its catching when the slide loads it into the chamber...

i dont really know where i can help.. but i dont have a single problem reloading them...

I do use carbide dies... rcbs grey case for pistols... donno if that makes a difference..

What diameter are the bullets that you are attempting to load? I think that .357 sig bullets are .357, not .355 (9mm) but i'm not sure so a 124g intended for 9mm will not work quite correct in a .357 sig. I also believe that if you are using lee dies, they will have multiple dimensions for the die. From experience with a .38 super I know this, the dies sized the case ID to .356, not .355. I sent the die back and they sent me a .355 die. In general a crimp is not used to hold the bullet in place, its there to remove the belling from the case mouth and in some cases it assists with holding the bullet. Size a case. Measure the ID and attempt to insert a bullet, if you can get it in there its too big; get a smaller sizing die or bigger bullets. I was frustrated when I first tried to load .38 super but I got it all worked out.

357 Sig use a 0.355 dia bullet. The shape is a significant factor.

I had the same problem. Now I think Im using AA#9 (not sure) but it fills the case up to the neck, its a compressed load and the bullet cannot be pushed into the case any further.

Proper bullet selection is key. Montana Gold and Zero bullets, that are specifically 357 Sig is all I use, for practice anyways. Over flaring the case mouth or over crimping will cause problems as well.