• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
gotta a bug up my but to go goose hunting.

i have a mossberg 835 3.5"mag pump 28" barrel, removable chokes.

will probably stick to the steel shot full choke that came with it until i get interested enough to buy a special one.

what ammo works good through this for geese?

Re: geese?

I've been running Federal black cloud out of my SX2 and been very pleased with the results.

I run BB or BBB for geese. Hell, I only run 3" and knock the piss out of them in early season. Late season, I would run 3.5".

Shoot bb or t shot with the heaviest load you can find. If I remember right 12ga 3.5 once and half once and nine sixteenth. Bang for the buck shoot Kent fasteel. I would stay away from Remington sportman loads and plain silver box Winchester. Winchester supreme seem to patern well for me. Federal premium and black cloud aren't bad just a lil pricey IMO. That's my 2 cents

I've shot a lot of geese with 3" Kent BB loads and it kills the shit out them. SuperSeal110 knows what he's talking though, he has better access to better properties than I, and he kills more geese. I know for a fact that he knocked a BUNCH of them down this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Cotton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot bb or t shot with the heaviest load you can find. If I remember right 12ga 3.5 once and half once and nine sixteenth. Bang for the buck shoot Kent fasteel. I would stay away from Remington sportman loads and plain silver box Winchester. Winchester supreme seem to patern well for me. Federal premium and black cloud aren't bad just a lil pricey IMO. That's my 2 cents </div></div>

I would stay away from Remington sportsman loads and plain silver box Winchester. My experience also.

I like the Remington Nitro-Steel Magnum load. I use the BB load where I shoot. You can kill them with smaller shot, but I like the distance I can shoot, out to, with the BB's.

Hunting buddy uses Kent Fast Steel also BB's with good results.

Our season come in Thursday. Looking to hunt both Deer with a ML (evening) and Geese (in the morning with a SG) on Saturday.

Good luck

Jerry

We use Ts most of the time. Or the shells that mix up BB, BBB and T. Those canadians are hard to knock down. Dont shoot straight on, better to get em passing by where the pellets can get in under the feathers. That was our latest tactic anyway.

ok so i'm looking at steel, t bbb, or bb, 3.5", full choke for steel. i'll stay away from remington, (other than the heavy shot stuff, rem. ammo tends to suck IMHO)

i'd like to use the black cloud stuff, but a little short on funds also, probably start with winch. supreme, as they are a bit more affordable and i never really had a problem with winch. ammo.

sounds good?

how about decoys, obviously more are better, however what do you guys think how many the bare minimum should be?

we use 18 big foots and throw in some hardcore silo,s on cloudy days. all me and the 2 guys i hunt with shoot are 2 shot and have no problems killing geese. when hunting over decoys shots are not over 30 yards. been a good year this year 118 mallards and 73 honkers. nothing gets my heart pumping hearing those big honkers trying to back peddle when i pop out of the final approach.

I have been shooting 3.5" Fiocchi 1 9/16 T's. They have worked really well for me and they are about 19 dollars a box locally.

As for decoys, that depends on where you are hunting, how many birds are around, and if you are hunting where they want to go. I've hunted over spreads as large as 12 dozen full bodies and 3-4 dozen shells to as small as 6-8 shells.

Luke

you know i shoot geese with a 2.75" shell all the time with BB steel. usually out shoot my buddies who shoot 3 and 3.5's. and on top of that its cheaper by a long shot

2 3/4 #2 shot is my go to all around load. ducks geese pheasants and grouse have all fell to that load.

My rule of thumb is that speed kills! Another member here also mentioned killing em with 2.75 shells and i agree!

The only time the bigger magnums ever helped me out was when i was either pass shooting or skybusting.(i'll admit it)

As far as decoys go,volumes have been written about the subject.

IMO being in a spot where the birds want to be with two dozen decoys.Is better then having 18 dozen decoys where their not gonna go anyway......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">skybusting.(i'll admit it)</div></div>

Im giving you a dirty look right now...
laugh.gif

I started using that Blackcloud this year and have been really happy with the performance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">skybusting.(i'll admit it)</div></div>

laugh.gif

</div></div>

Come on bro we've all done it.Kinda like a fat chick.
blush.gif

i have had to different buddies that had fasteel kents blow up in their guns...blew the screw cap clean off both times...i will never shoot that after seeing that...i use 3 1/2 bb in canada every year when i go...its usually use winchester never had an issue with it, and have fired about 2,000 rounds of it personally

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">skybusting.(i'll admit it)</div></div>

laugh.gif

I started using that Blackcloud this year and have been really happy with the performance. </div></div>

Im a skybuster, lol!!!

If they aren't that educated where you hunt BB or BBB. If you get the larger Canadas, I might go for T in 3.5.

Me and 3 buds limited out the last few days on Canadas, but the last 2 days were getting tough and we went with heavier loads to reach. Birds were more hesitant to drop in. Couldn't get the damn Specks or Snows to consistently drop low enough for a good smacking.

+1 for the Blackcloud. Went for waterfowl today and it was devastating on Brant and among others. There were almost no cripples as the birds were down on 1st or 2nd shot.

Little on expensive side, but I heard that Dick's Sporting Goods had some good prices on it.

Usually if not always the full choke will destroy your pattern with BBB and T steel. Try a modified.
I like federals t's the best and the black cloud in bbb. I cannot get the remington
nitro t's to pattern to point of aim. I have no reasons for it they just don't. I try
and make head and neck shots so long leads are in order. For pass shooting at
70 to 90 yards my lead is 15-20 feet. It is tough to break wings at those ranges
and they can go a long long way with body hits. 500 to 800 yards is common.

I shoot alot of geese and Love the Kent Faststeel! I shoot a IM choke, starting with 2's in the early season. Now I shoot the BBB in 1 9/16 load. My SBE knocks them down all day to 60yds. You have to do the math and hit them in the Head, neck area!!!! Gut shot birds fly a long way and die!

I did try the Fiocchi steel and it is very good too. I didnt shoot it over a chrony to see the true fps, but the couple I shot at ducks seemed hot!!!!