• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Geissele SSA vs Geissele SSA-E

KillShot

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
At the present time, I have the Geissele SSA (2.5lb 1st / 2lb 2nd) installed in my POF. I've been looking at the Geissele SSA-E (2.3lb 1st / 1.2lb 2nd). Those of you who have tried both, is it worth the upgrade to the Geissele SSA-E from the SSA? This is a precision rifle setup and although they are better, I have no desire to install an adjustable trigger.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

P.S.- For reference, if you don't have signature lines turned on, my setup is:

POF*USA P308-20-HSR-308-SPR

Magpul PRS
Geissele SSA
Magpul 7.62 Pmag
PWS FSC30 compensator
Accu-Shot BT13 monopod
Atlas V8 BT10-LW17 bipod
Falcon Industries tactical grip
American Defense Recon mount
NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50 NP-R1 ZS

Re: Geissele SSA vs Geissele SSA-E

I just sold my SSA for a SSA-E and couldn't be happier. It feels like the break is a little cleaner.

When I built my last SPR, I was thinking the same thing that you are. I did not want an adjustable trigger in this rifle, but it was a precision build. I started with the SSA and liked it. It wasn't super light and it wasn't super clean, but it was better than stock and more reliable than triggers like the RRA and Bushmaster "Match" two stages. When the SSA-E was released, I bought one just to compare. It was like night and day to me. Not so much because of the lighter pull, but more because of the cleaner break. Get the SSA-E. It's worth it.

SSA-E is a better trigger for a DMR while the SSA is what I would tap for a CQ rifle that may need to take 300-400yd shots on occasion.

I had an SSA that broke second stage at just over 5 lb total pull weight. Just a little to heavy for me and the gun I was building. I sold it and bought a super dynamic 3 gun I love which is very close to SSA-E weight. For a precision rifle I would go SSA-E all the way.

I have both the super dynamic 3-gun and the Geissele Super Dynamic Enhanced Combat Trigger. The enhanced combat trigger is kinda like the newest revision of the SSA-E, the major difference is the flat blade trigger.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2566

Try one out, you may like it! You absolutely cannot go wrong with any Geissele trigger, they are all great. Usually they come set up pretty close to perfect, but if you want to lower the weight slightly, give the trigger return spring legs a slight bend to drop a few ounces of the 1st and second stages.

Wow! Thanks for all the information everyone! You have certainly made up my mind for me.

Now, for my next question. Is this trigger swap something I can do myself without a lot of problems?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow! Thanks for all the information everyone! You have certainly made up my mind for me.

Now, for my next question. Is this trigger swap something I can do myself without a lot of problems? </div></div>

I got the SSA-E trigger for my DPMS. Until then I had never changed a trigger on any of my AR's. I followed Geissele's directions and had it done in just a couple minutes. I love my SSA-E trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Now, for my next question. Is this trigger swap something I can do myself without a lot of problems? </div></div>

Piece of cake.

The only difference between the two is the trigger spring.

Bill makes 3 springs, and they are deployed across his various triggers - 4.5, 3.5, and 2.5. As the trigger spring affects the trigger weight during its whole travel, this is why you have "a reduced first and second stage" between for example the 4.5 and 3.5 in the SSA and SSA-E respectively.

Looking closely at his site pics you'll see a black spring, a silver spring, and a gold spring.

Installing a trigger is easy in concept, but can be aggravating to hold everything in place while you push the pins in. The good news is that Geiselle includes a slave pin which makes all of the work a breeze. Literally a two minute job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only difference between the two is the trigger spring.

Bill makes 3 springs, and they are deployed across his various triggers - 4.5, 3.5, and 2.5. As the trigger spring affects the trigger weight during its whole travel, this is why you have "a reduced first and second stage" between for example the 4.5 and 3.5 in the SSA and SSA-E respectively.

Looking closely at his site pics you'll see a black spring, a silver spring, and a gold spring. </div></div>

Wrong.

Those are great theatrical pictures and everything but they're for picture purposes only. Ever Notice when you buy NF rings not all of them have the cool NF logo on them?

The difference between each and every Geissele trigger is how the sear is cut. Yes the springs are different but the most important part is how the sear is cut. This is like the 10th time I've seen this misinformation. Do yourself a favor and call Geissele their Tech guys will answer every question you have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have an SSA-E to compare to.

If you look at the trigger summary page on the Geissele website, both SSA and SD-C are described as 4.5 lbs with "carrot-like" break and both SSA-E and SD-E are described as 3.5 lbs with "candy cane-like" break (i.e., crisper break). I have never seen anyone mention that an SSA-E is different from an SSA in any way besides pull weight and having a crisper break.

My SD-E is (obviously) lighter and crisper than my SSA, as you would expect from the product literature, but of course an SSA-E would be, too. However, the SD-E (and presumably the SD-C) also has less overtravel and a shorter reset than the SSA (and presumably the SSA-E), which I think is a significant benefit.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The difference between the SD-C and SSA and the SD-E and SSA-E is not just the shape of the trigger. The actual hammer and sear geometry is different.</span> </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SOCAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both the super dynamic 3-gun and the Geissele Super Dynamic Enhanced Combat Trigger. The enhanced combat trigger is kinda like the newest revision of the SSA-E, the major difference is the flat blade trigger. </div></div>

How do you like the flat blade trigger - i've been thinking of getting the SD-E trigger for my 308 POF?

Just hung up with Bill.

High speeds - all mechanically the same. Only diff in the 3 are the trigger and disconnector springs.

SSA, SSA-E - different trigger and disconnector springs AND a different sear angle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just hung up with Bill.

High speeds - all mechanically the same. Only diff in the 3 are the trigger and disconnector springs.

SSA, SSA-E - different trigger and disconnector springs AND a different sear angle. </div></div>Exactly the same intel I got when I called Bill 6 months or so ago, who is, might I add, a great guy to talk to!

Thanks for all the info guys! I completed the purchase on Gunbroker and it's now en route to my door. I am anxious to get it installed because I've read good things about this particular trigger for quite some time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, dammit, let't it stop; shipped, 12:44. SSA/E.</div></div>

Huh? What are you talking about?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SSA/E shipped 12:44.
Stroke/ tumor, sometimes speech trouble.</div></div>

Okay, that's great but...I didn't purchase an SSA/E from you. lol