• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Gemtech HVT or AAC 762?

mstennes

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2009
North Central Washington
So I just finished my MWS setup for long range shooting, I have a 20" barrel on it now so I'm down to the suppressor and have narrowed it down to either the AAC 7.62SD or Gemtechs HVT, this setup will stay in this rifle and maybe get used on future 308 bolt gun or SCAR 17, so which would work best and why?

Re: Gemtech HVT or AAC 762?

i will be totally honest with you neither, i would buy a sas arbitor in titanium which is only like $50 more than the 2 steel can you are looking at.

if you really want one of the 2 shoot me a pm i have a gemtech hvt and would be happy to let you try it out/sell it to you for a good discount if you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i will be totally honest with you neither, i would buy a sas arbitor in titanium which is only like $50 more than the 2 steel can you are looking at.

if you really want one of the 2 shoot me a pm i have a gemtech hvt and would be happy to let you try it out/sell it to you for a good discount if you want. </div></div>
To be honest, I'm was leaning AAC for the simple reason, I have a M4 2000, and IIRC I could use it on my 556 AR's also, which now are all setup with Blackout mounts for the AAC. I was thinking the -6 for the fact, I'm planning on a SCAR in the future, and this could go on all my rifles. Just thinking out loud here.

I have a Gemtech HVT and it is a good suppressor but it is heavy. If you are thinking Gemtech give a Sandstorm or Quicksand a look before you go to a HVT. The HVT is the old model.

I also have a 762-SDN-6 on order now and will use that on 6.8mm and 7.62's. Another good choice to think of.

I went through the same question and ended up getting the HVT mostly because the shop I bought from told me they claim gemtech is much easier to deal with than AAC. I trust their opinion. But the HVT is heavy - may have gotten the sandstorm or quicksand if I had held one before buying.

Same thing; my only complaint about the HVT is its' weight. The weld broke and the quick mount came loose on my can and my impacts where walking all over the place. I sent the can back to Gemtech with a letter describing the problem. They re-welded it, drilled/ pinned it, and had it back to me within a week. Now it is very repeatable.

I have two friends that each have a 7.62SD. They have been having problems with point of impact shift. One of them has found that if he backs the suppressor off one click it becomes repeatable.

My AAC has some pretty bad POI shift, but once you dope it up it's really accurate. It actually shrinks my groups by quiet a bit.
It hit's 2" left 1/2 low every time. Very repeatable.

I believe that POI shift also has a lot to do with the host barrel. On two of my barrels the POI shift with my HVT is around 7 moa. on My 18 inch Noveske .308 barrel, believe it or not, it has a .1 mil right shift and zero elevation shift.

That said one thing I have also noticed with my HVT QD mount is that after you fire a large amount of rounds 100 or more, the quick mount area fills up with a lot of crap and becomes pretty difficult to remove. I carry a wire brush to knock some of that crap out and I am good to go.

How do you think the sas arbitor in titanium would sound mounted on a 300 Blackout with a 8", 10", or a 12" barrel?

We are looking at a Noveski 300 Blackout upper. Will be mounted on a SBRed Spikes lower and a Colt M16 Model 901.

Dane

762SD-N6. Easy. I had the 18-tooth 762SD and loved it, but for some reason felt like I had to "upgrade" to the N6 version. Waiting on the paperwork now. All of the 762SD line is good stuff. My POI shift with the older 762SD was absolutely repeatable - I just re-zeroed for it and quit thinking about it. Groups shrank by 1/4 inch.

AAC is the way to go if you want a ad can. If you want a threaded can maybe try a thunder beast arms can. Been hearing some good things. The new 762sd cans with the 51 tooth should be good to go. My 18 tooth is repeatable. But I have a 1" shift at 6 o'clock.
Xdeano

I had the HVT thread mount, never did like the cone shape on the threaded end. AAC is the way to go.

I have the 762SD and it is extremely repeatable. I set it and forget it. I switch it to my 223 and makes them more comfortable to shoot as well.

I originally wanted to go with the cyclone but I'm glad my dealer recommended 762SD. It was a great choice for multiple quick changes