• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors GemTech, or AAC?

Rialb

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2011
Tikrit, Iraq
I'm debating between these two companies. Anybody out there who has had experience with both? If not, just any general knowledge would be helpful.

Re: GemTech, or AAC?

Debating about what? Quality? Durability? Customer service? Price? Selection?

I have silencers produced by both companies.

I run all AAC stuff personally. A buddy runs an old GemTech, but is going to the M4-2000. I have not had a chance to shoot them side by side.

I have 2 Gemtech's 1. a 22 outback 2 and 2. a 30 cal Sandstorm. I also have 5 AAC's 1. element,cyclone,762-sd,9mm evo and 45 tirant. But you haven't ask compare what? Both companies have good and bad points. AAC has improved alot this last year on customer service and stocking cans ready to ship. Gemtech has very good customer service and each year (last 2 anyway) has done a promotion on April 15 to pay the 200 tax stamp for anyone that buys their can during a certain timeframe. All depends what you are looking for or want to run it on. NEED MORE INFO TO ANSWER YOUR POST.

I've got both brands. But it's hard to compare directly being that they are different calibers.

I'd be more inclined to go with AAC though from now on.

I have two aac cans both 45's and for my last two suppressors i will not be getting aac cans, i feel their are a lot of other vary good companies out their such as thompson machine,elite iron and sas to name a few and i would like something different

my aac cans are awesome but i think its time to go another route

just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Set</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm debating between these two companies. Anybody out there who has had experience with both? If not, just any general knowledge would be helpful.</div></div>Why don't you give some more parameters per your caliber, application, length, weight and other wants/needs.

I have both, but your question is a bit ambiguous to realistically answer.

Lots of other can manufacturers out there other than the big guys. Liberty and Thunderbeast come to mind.

Might look into those as well. I've got a Liberty Freedom in process right now.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Whoops. Sorry for the lack of info. I was in a hurry when I posted. I am looking for something to stick on a Sig Mosquito/Sig 522 in .22LR, something for a Sig P226 9mm and something for a DSA SA58 PARA Elite Compact in (of course) .308. Hope that will make things easier. Thanks for all of the input, thus far.

As an owner of several cans my preferences are as follows 9mm- Gemtech tundra, 5.56 AWC Raider and although I currently run an AAC 7.62SD it is being replaced with an Elite Iron 30 cal. unit. But that is just my selections!

I like my Gemtech Outback II (22LR) and AAC Evolution-9 (9mm). For 308, I'm happiest with my KAC SR25 silencer but that's not an option for your FAL. I have a Gemtech HVT that is accurate with my Rem 700 but opens up groups on my M1A very badly. My Fisher 308 can is just not terribly quiet. I'd give an AAC silencer a try for the FAL.

I would only buy from a stocking dealer, by the way. Don't order these things vendor-direct (especially not from AAC) unless you just want to be totally frustrated.

I have cans by both AAC and Gemtech. for the 22 I would go with the Silencerco stainless sparrow ( for multiple reasons), 9mm I would also go with Silencerco's osprey 9 (both Silencerco cans are out performing most on the market). In 308 I would go with 762SD for quick detach and Sandstorm for a thread mount. Find a class 3 dealer that can show you several examples and decide wich mounting conf. you like best. AAC's new 300 can is also a good choice (check availability on the new can) Good Luck!

I use a SWR Spectre for .22 and really like it. The stainless sparrow was not out yet when I orderd the SWR or I would have really looked at it as I like the way it comes apart for cleaning.
I use an Osprey .45 for my .45, 9mm and .40. Kind of a "one stop catch all".It is "quiet" amazing !!!!

My thanks go out to all the feedback. I am thinking on getting the new P226 Tactical Operations in .357SIG. Has anyone had any experience with putting a can on that round? If so, what did you use, and how well did it work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wattsdk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 2 Gemtech's 1. a 22 outback 2 and 2. a 30 cal Sandstorm. I also have 5 AAC's 1. element,cyclone,762-sd,9mm evo and 45 tirant. But you haven't ask compare what? Both companies have good and bad points. AAC has improved alot this last year on customer service and stocking cans ready to ship. Gemtech has very good customer service and each year (last 2 anyway) has done a promotion on April 15 to pay the 200 tax stamp for anyone that buys their can during a certain timeframe. All depends what you are looking for or want to run it on. NEED MORE INFO TO ANSWER YOUR POST.</div></div>

How does your Sandstorm compare to your Cyclone?

LFOD1776,
I had the same problem as you do. My HVT shot great on my bolt gun but not my AR10. I called Gemtech and they told me to send the upper to them. They told me it was probably a threading problem on the production threads not being square.

I told them it was really not the fault of the suppressor since it shot great on my bolt gun but they said no problem send the upper and the can and we will check it out and correct it for you. They fixed it with no charge to me and my AR10 now shoots better with the suppressor than without. You can't beat customer service like that!!!!!!

as much as I don't like AAC's attitude. AAC by far. or can wait for silencerco to come out with their rifle cans.

saw your 2nd post on calibers.

308 - aac or wait for silencer co
9mm - tirant or osprey seem to be the best right now or SWR's new octane

22 - couldn't say.

I have a AAC SCAR-SD 5.56, I like it. AAC customer service has been good when I have called them. I just ordered a Gemtech Sandstorm, Gemtech has good customer service too.