• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gen 2 Magpul UBR vs Gen 1 ???

jbailey

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2010
Arlington VA
Hello all,
So I'm a big fan of the Magpul UBR Gen 1, as it really fits me well, I love the stability (makes the rickety AR platform feel more like a bolt gun) and I value the weight to balance heavy barrels.

I'm now in the market for a UBR and I see that Magpul has a new one out, Gen 2, and is no longer making Gen 1. Gen 2 appears a bit lighter (but still heavier than most) but I read one review that said the Gen 2 wasn't as stable as Gen 1.

Does anyone here have any comments on Gen 2 vs Gen 1??? Should I buy one or attempt to find a Gen 1 in the secondary market?

As always, any input appreciated.

Someone still makes/sells the Gen 1, on the basis that it’s greater weight is better for high power. CLE I think?

The Gen 2 is an improvement. Longer cheek area, A5 length tube and 20% less weight. It is slightly less rigid in the lock up of the two major components but that doesn’t matter.

Reactions: jbailey
Hello all,
So I'm a big fan of the Magpul UBR Gen 1, as it really fits me well, I love the stability (makes the rickety AR platform feel more like a bolt gun) and I value the weight to balance heavy barrels.

I'm now in the market for a UBR and I see that Magpul has a new one out, Gen 2, and is no longer making Gen 1. Gen 2 appears a bit lighter (but still heavier than most) but I read one review that said the Gen 2 wasn't as stable as Gen 1.

Does anyone here have any comments on Gen 2 vs Gen 1??? Should I buy one or attempt to find a Gen 1 in the secondary market?

As always, any input appreciated.

I have 2 of the Gen 2s on 308 ARs, and they are rock solid. Do wobble at all. I also really like the option of A5 or Carbine buffer system in the Gen 2.

No comment on the differences, but I have a used Gen1 that's been rattle canned and is otherwise in great shape. If a new one is hard to source, PM me and I'll get this thing shipped your way.

Thanks guys (y)
I jumped on a new UBR Gen 2. @SkyScrapin - I will keep your offer in mind if the Gen 2 doesn't do it for me.
If I remember, I will do an AAR UBR Gen 1 vs Gen 2.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
I just built a gun for my brother this past weekend and compared my in the box Gen 1 to his Gen II. The Gen II does have a slight amount of play compared to the Gen I. I could only notice it in hand, uninstalled. Once installed on the rifle, I tried to feel it, and could not. Especially function check and test firing.

Attachments

• 4BA9268C-45BC-4605-9056-7A0288C507C9.jpeg
    4BA9268C-45BC-4605-9056-7A0288C507C9.jpeg
    684.8 KB · Views: 425
  • 541FBF88-7D45-4897-B45F-8F94A6110FF3.jpeg
    541FBF88-7D45-4897-B45F-8F94A6110FF3.jpeg
    702.7 KB · Views: 507
@FishinGuns (y)
Thanks for the intel and nice looking rig too.
I like my ARs to "feel like a Manners stock" to the degree this is possible. My Gen I UBR is closest I have gotten and I'm looking forward to getting that Gen II, which is on UPS truck from Palmetto State Armory.

Reactions: FishinGuns
As far as I know, from the HP world, White Oak Armament has all of the Gen1's that are leftover. They ran special discounts on new Gen1's last year at Perry. Hollinger did a short comparison targeted towards the HP audience. I got into high power in order to super focus on fundamentals, especially NPA after shooting bolt gun matches for a couple of years. Boring as hell, but it has made me a better overall shooter.

Attachments

• UBR_gen1_2_comparison (2).pdf
    357.7 KB · Views: 932
Swerve,
thanks for that article and it largely agrees with my thoughts. The two stocks are very close in all the 'lock up' and easy of use categories. The Gen 1 is certainly heavier and certainly more expensive. I am not noticing any material difference between my Gen1 and Gen2... maybe after a few hours of humping the two I would notice the Gen1 weight, but otherwise, both are GTG. My conclusion: save the few bucks and the logistical challenge and get the Gen2.

The Gen 1 looks sexier to me ha. I’ve gotten 2 gen 1’s and love them. But, haven’t compared them to the gen 2’s.

I know this thread is very old, but I've been trying to find out the difference between the 2? Other than weight, cheek length does the gen1 have a shorter tube (standard carbine vs A5 length)?