• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Gen 3 glocks good to go?

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    I’ve got a p10c I’m looking to sell, and have a friend offering a like new gen 3 g19.... should I take it or just hold out for a gen5?

Not to start a flame war here, but you may regret getting rid of the CZ to get the G19
    I love the PT in. But I used to only carry Glock’s. My favorite inside the waistband holster is not made for the P 10 and that’s my only carry a gun right now. That’s the only reason I was going to get rid of it. Plus I picked up a cajunized sp01 and a shadow 2 this week lol

I love the PT in. But I used to only carry Glock’s. My favorite inside the waistband holster is not made for the P 10 and that’s my only carry a gun right now. That’s the only reason I was going to get rid of it. Plus I picked up a cajunized sp01 and a shadow 2 this week lol
    Gotcha lol; just one last thing: I coulda swore that most holsters made for the 19 will also work with the CZ p10. May be worth checking into?

I’ve been running an early two-pin Gen3 G19 for ten years without issue. I think I had one stoppage at a match once which I’ll blame on using cheap WWB for match use. Outside of that, it’s been flawless. If you like Glocks, go for it. It lacks some of the refinements of the Gen4/5 models, but it’s just as reliable.

i prefer gen 4 mainly for the beavertail and grip texturing. but all my gen 3's were/have been 100% reliable.

I think the Gen 3 Glocks are the most tried and true just based on time on the market. They are a little less “ergonomic” but nothing a professional can’t fix.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
    I prefer the Gen5 for the lack of the finger grooves. Nevertheless, there is nothing functionally wrong with the Gen3.

Nothing wrong with Gen 3 Glocks. As long as there have been no crazy modifications and you perform basic maintenance they're incredibly reliable. Personally I would take it gen 3 Glock over most of the pistols on the market today.

Reactions: silentwoods
    If you don't already have a Glock, borrow or rent one and shoot it side by side with the CZ.

I did that with my P10-C and 19X and it became clear which I preferred.

I probably have 7000 rounds down my Gen III Glocks. I would go for a Gen III over any of the others.

Glock is a tool. I have several of 'em, all 3 gens I think. I had a 1 gen or 1.5 but gave it to my mom. It was factory rebuilt in 1985 after god knows how many rounds, and how many after, and i picked it up used in around 2000 or so for $300. I fired tens of thousands more through it.

It has a tiny crack in the frame, shows plenty of wear but no rust and no jams. The motherfuckers just work.

That beater is still pulling duty as the main defensive weapon for a household and it's been used and abused for over 30 years.

Best IWB holster IMO has got to be the Milt Sparks VM2. Make sure you have a proper size gun belt for it though. Nothing better. It'll conceal that G19 fine but it works even better with the G26/27 and the 27 is what I normally carry when I go IWB.

I wouldn't trade a nice pistol for a used Glock but I would pick one up cheap to carry. And used is a great deal, it's hard to fuck one up. Leave it stock if you plan on carrying it. Well, set of sights and any factory parts you wanna swap but stick with factory shit. Steel recoil rod is nice if you plan on changing lots of springs (like if you shoot very anemic handloads but also carry it with +P+). Or just keep a second recoil rod for the weak spring.

People never overthink a wrench but they sure as fuck overthink a Glock. IMO they're not much different, just different purposes.

Reactions: silentwoods
    One difference between the gen3 and gen5 are the finger groves. Some folks love them them some do not. Handle both to see what fits you best..

I'd keep the P10C. It's a world better than factory Glock. Better ergonomic, way better trigger, better factory sight. CZ is not in the same category as Glock.

My factory G17 Gen3 is so-so. Large grip, mediocre gun. My factory G19 Gen 4 is also average.

Gen 5 Glock is alright, but I hate proprietary parts, incompatible with previous gen.

The Best Glock is an after market Glock. My P80 I built is the most accurate gun I own. However, you'll put a lot of money into it so you'd better off buying a CZ.

Short answer, keep the P10C!

Reactions: silentheart
    No experience with the CZ, but lots of time behind Gen 2-5 Glocks - I prefer the grip texture of Gen 4/5. Just took a course this weekend and it was 95 degrees in the sun and super humid, hands were drenched in sweat the whole time. The guys with Gen 3s had a much harder time keeping a grip. Easily solved with a stipple job or talon grips but something to consider.

I personally would not trade a CZ for a gen 3 unless I hated it - seems like a downgrade.

No experience with the CZ

I personally would not trade a CZ for a gen 3 unless I hated it - seems like a downgrade.

Why should those of us who have experience with both pay attention to your opinion when you admit you don't know anything about CZ?

Maybe I'll post the exact round counts and cleaning intervals for my P-10F and P-09 when I get home. Right off memory the P-10F has over 5000 rounds since I bought it last November and the P-09 has over 7500 since I bought it last May.

Neither one has ever suffered a malfunction of any kind.

Oh yeah, I once had a Glock 17 Gen4 about ten years ago. What a turd.

Why should those of us who have experience with both pay attention to your opinion when you admit you don't know anything about CZ?

Maybe I'll post the exact round counts and cleaning intervals for my P-10F and P-09 when I get home. Right off memory the P-10F has over 5000 rounds since I bought it last November and the P-09 has over 7500 since I bought it last May.

Neither one has ever suffered a malfunction of any kind.

Oh yeah, I once had a Glock 17 Gen4 about ten years ago. What a turd.
    Well, maybe because OP was not asking about the CZ. OP asked about gen 3 vs gen 5 glocks, and had already decided to get rid of the CZ.

OP asked about gen 3 vs gen 5 glocks, and had already decided to get rid of the CZ.
    What does that have to do with your lack of knowledge?

And if you go back and read all of his posts you'll realize he wants to get rid of it to avoid holster shopping. Not because anything is wrong with the pistol itself.

What does that have to do with your lack of knowledge?

And if you go back and read all of his posts you'll realize he wants to get rid of it to avoid holster shopping. Not because anything is wrong with the pistol itself.
    Listen man, I have no interest in participating in a heated argument. Maybe I should have been more clear that I don’t have personal experience “shooting the OP’s exact model CZ”. Just wanted to be transparent. My personal preference not to trade a CZ for a gen 3 was simply because OP could pickup a gen 4/5 for a pretty even trade instead if he looks around on Armslist or something.

OP’s original question was gen 3 vs gen 5, not related to the CZ.

Sorry for the derail OP.

I have a gen3 G19 with north of 12,000 rounds on it and it still runs.

A LGS has one that has a range Gen3 G19 with a recorded 100,000+ and has only had springs and the ejector replaced.

I have a gen 3 model 22 and 23. Still my favorite gen finish on the slide and no problems from both. The model 22 was my carry gun for 12 years and has night stand duty for the last 3 years.

The Gen 3 works. The Gen 5 is better. If you don’t need a gun now, I’d wait for the Gen5. Among others things they are notably more accurate and have a better trigger.

Glock gen 3 is tried and true. But the gen 5 upgrades are appealing.

The reason I’ll stick with gen 3 is because it uses a single recoil spring which feels snappier to me vs gen 5 which uses double spring and it feels a little heavy.

Last edited: