• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gen 3 PMAG Issues for .308 ARs

crankbait

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2014
I own a DPMS Gen2 Recon .308, which works flawlessly with the DPMS metal magazines, but I have been experiencing feed, ejection, and case neck distortion issues with the new PMAG Gen3 magazines. DPMS technical support advised me to send the Gen 3 mags back to MAGPUL and ask them to swap them out for the Gen 2 mags if I wanted to use them. I returned them to Brownell's and bought more metal DPMS mags.

In the Brownell's website semi-auto magazine section under item PMAG Gen3 100-011-563WB MAG 291- BLK 20LR/SR M3 7.62 x 51 Magazine Mfr Part: MAG291BLK, a reviewer named "tazdevil" reports the same with his Ruger SR762. He reports case necks that are badly dinged up.

My brother has been having similar issues with his SIG 762 - to the point where he has contacted SIG tech support and they told him to buy DPMS magazines.

I love MAGPUL products, find them to be of the highest quality, and have and will continue to use their furniture and BUS and slings and grips and such. Excellent stuff.

I just wanted to alert members with newer generation AR .308's to take care with the Gen 3 PMAGs. To be fair to MAGPUL, there is no "standard" per say for the 7.62 AR, and the Armalite AR-10 is different than the DPMS LR-308 - and it seems like many AR manufacturers are jumping onto the 7.62 bandwagon as of late. Many billet uppers and lowers for .308 have arrived on the scene it seems the past 18 or 24 months. It might not be fair to blame Magpul given the amount of new products hitting the market with no Mil-Spec driven commonality like the M4/AR-15 platform.

The one common theme it seems is that the DPMS metal mags are somewhat of a defacto standard "fail-safe" for non-Armalite AR .308s.