• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Gen 3 vs Gen 4 Glocks

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
I've shot a fair amount of Gen 3 Glocks, I can do fine with them, but they don't quite point perfect everytime I bring them up.

Who's got the Gen 4 here, how do you like the swapable straps, do they work well and seem to be well thought out? Did it change anyone from a so so Glock liker to a Glock lover?

Thinking of a Gen 4 G19 if the model matters. Haven't been able to toy with one locally and I'm wondering if it's that much better than my 3G G19.

Jason

Re: Gen 3 vs Gen 4 Glocks

I've been interested in this as well, but like you haven't had a chance yet to try the Gen 4.

I carry an issued M9 at work, but carry a Gen 3 G19 at home. I've hit the range once I get home and the Glock naturally presents muzzle high for me, and I have to train myself out of it again. I've been hoping the different backstraps would alter the grip angle enough for me and get it closer to 1911/M9 angles.

Jason,

I went from Springfield XD to HK USP and now to the Glock. As a 1911 guy, I was a bit skeptical of the gen 4 improvements as the older generations were a bit too bulky and didn't point correctly. I looked into an M&P, but made sure to try out the Glock as well. Without any backstraps installed it fits me very well. The grip angle is still the same, but I have no issues with it. The stipling is much less abrasive than the RTFs that I had messed with in the past. The switchable mag release is great if you shoot southpaw.

I now own the Gen 4 G19 and it has proved to be reliable out of the box. Some have had a bit of trouble with the new recoil spring assembly, but I only had a couple FTEs in the first 50 rounds and none since. Go give one a try if you can.

Josh

gen one smoothies is where it at......like this one...
MVC-030S.jpg

I like my gen 4 17 and 19. I own several gen 3s. This mag release is much improved. Grip is only slightly smaller without any straps. I run mine without any straps.

Only time will tell on the recoil spring changes.

I have carried a G22 on duty since 2002 and liked it, aside from the fact that the handgrip was slightly small for my taste. This was fixed with a Hogue rubber slip-on. Changed to the Gen 4 late last year and used the medium backstrap to fix the size issue. Biggest difference I feel is the recoil is reduced on the Gen 4, making it much easier to stay on target.

I was an absolute Glock hater at first. The angle wasn't right, the size was awful for me etc etc... But I handled a Glock 22 Gen 4 and switched around back straps and now it will be my next purchase. That's how much difference there is between gen 3 and gen 4 for me.

I just picked up a Gen4 Glock 17 and will be shooting it this week I will see how it does, I will put 3-500 rounds of WWB through it to see how it does. Hopefully it isn't a dissapointment.

The new grip feels great, as well as the 2mm reduction in grip. It fits well in my hand. The new mag release is a huge improvement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gen one smoothies is where it at......like this one...
MVC-030S.jpg
</div></div>

Actually that's a Gen 2, the only Gen 1 was a 17.

I have handled some Gen 4's but not shot them, I need to do that.
What actually has worked best for me is custom grip reductions on Gen 3s

like this:
120gh8k.jpg

I know that doesn't answer your question but it has really worked for me. I shoot this G31 and a G17 that I did the same to, better than any other handguns I own and still benefit from Glock reliability and durability.

I bought a Gen4 G23 about a month ago and I've fired around 350 rounds through it so far. The backstraps don't seem to be all that well thought out in my opinion. The longer pin required to hold them in is difficult to get installed and on one of the Gen4 guns we currently have in for T&E the pin has walked out to the side a bit. I run my G23 without a backstrap on it so it doesn't bother me personally but I see it as a potential issue for those who will.

The larger mag release and the option of switching it over to the right side for left handed shooters is a nice touch. The new finish is more gray than the Gen3 finish was but I like the contrast.

I bought a S&W M&P40 on Friday and fired 350 rounds through it when I got it back to work. So far I like it as well. It's a bit more comfortable in the hand and has a much better thought out backstrap setup. The grip angle is better than a Glock also depending on which backstrap you put on. Steel mags and a steel insert in the mag release are a bit more confidence inspiring than the polymer on the Glocks. My only real complaint is with the trigger reset. It is longer than the Glock reset and is very, very faint. During the reset the trigger gives you a little thump which at first feels like the reset but isn't.

I've had malfunctions with both pistols but only while shooting single handed and intentionally limp wristing them. Both had a Surefire X300 mounted on them at the time.

I own a Gen2 G23, and it's never been my favorite gun. Somehow a Sig has always felt better in the hand, and I always considered the Sig more accurate until a friend kicked my ass shooting it.

This reestablished by respect for the respect for the brand, and I picked up a Gen4 G22 2 months ago. First impressions were good, and I liked the textured grip and finger grooves. I shot one magazine with no backstrap, and was all over the paper. After considering a impromptu auction on the firing line, I put in the Medium strap and immediately improved the patterns. After another 50rnds I was sold... so much so that I bought a G27 on Saturday.

One item of note, the trigger is a good bit different than previous Gen's, which I learned was the result of a trigger bar redesign. This causes a distinctive "stop" in the trigger pull about 3/4 through its travel, and almost feels like a 2-stage. I learned after watching the below video that this is due a bump, which looks to have been added to improve slide/receiver fitment. I will not perform this due to its use as a service pistol, but would be interested to hear from anyone that's tried it.

Good luck in your decision. I would definitely compare the triggers of a Gen3 vs. Gen4 before spending any money.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mj8Qt8ofCAw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mj8Qt8ofCAw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I would go with the more tried and true Gen3 and get a backstrap reduction/modification for it before going with the newer and less proven Gen4.

My Gen 4 19 has had about 6K rounds put through it and it is a great shooting gun. I have yet to have a single problem out of it. The dual recoil spring is nice as it takes the recoil from a snap to a slight push. The backstrap reduction isnt a concern to me as I dont run the straps. I don't think all these internet issues are really surfacing alot.

I would buy a Gen 4 again in a heartbeat, just not the Rough Textured Frame....that thing doesnt feel good or treat your clothes nicely

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gen one smoothies is where it at......like this one...
MVC-030S.jpg
</div></div>

Actually that's a Gen 2, the only Gen 1 was a 17.</div></div>

that is a 17.................and its for sale

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is a 17.................and its for sale </div></div>

And only $60,000...
wink.gif

Josh

Can anyone bring me up to speed on the different versions of the Gen4 recoil spring assy? Is there one to avoid?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valmet76</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone bring me up to speed on the different versions of the Gen4 recoil spring assy? Is there one to avoid? </div></div>

They went to a dual spring setup much like the HK USP. It was made to handle 40 S&W and, as a result, was sometimes too stiff for 9mm. Glock released a different spring set for the Gen4 17 but not for the 19. I have had no issues with mine but others have reported multiple FTEs and FTFs.

Josh

Ok, so I brought my new Gen4 Glock 17 to the range, I was so disappointed. I shot 350 rounds and had 100 blazer brass, 100 federal champion, and the rest was WWB 115 grain fmj. I was so sad to shoot all 350 rounds and not experience one malfunction.

damn the internets making me believe that my new glock shouldn't work!

I really enjoyed the new gen4 17 and would recommend it to anyone thinking about a gen4

Gen 4 seemed like an improvement over the Gen 3 to me.

The big turn-off for me is the way that the whole palm swell still exists. Never really liked that feature.

I gotta agree with what 3PER was displaying in the picture. - If you want an ergonomic glock - send it in to a company like Robars or something and have them redo the whole grip for you.

I have always been a Sig guy, they just point for me like no other. I have been through a lot of Sigs, of course I have many others (USPs, 1911s of many stock to full custom, CZs, ect.) I have never owned a Glock and actually have always hated them, for no good reason other than they felt cheep. To be honest it was just me being ignorant and prejudice. I finally decided to give a G17 a try, I comapired the gen3 and gen4 side by side and decided on the gen3 b/c they were so proven. After some time behind it I can honestly say EVERYONE who told me to just try one and you will love it was right! This pistol points every bit as good for me as the Sig, and it was very natural to operate. I love it! I do have a 3.5# trigger in it and think that was a nice improvement for me. Long story short I like the Glocks.

Glocks never really fit my hand well, except for some of the SF models. I picked up an M&P 9, which sat better in my hand, put the Apex trigger parts in and love it. After the Gen4 came out I found that the 19 pointed much more naturally (for me) than the Gen3. Since then have put a few hundred rounds through it without a hiccup, like it as much as the M&P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a Gen2 G23, and it's never been my favorite gun. Somehow a Sig has always felt better in the hand, and I always considered the Sig more accurate until a friend kicked my ass shooting it.

This reestablished by respect for the respect for the brand, and I picked up a Gen4 G22 2 months ago. First impressions were good, and I liked the textured grip and finger grooves. I shot one magazine with no backstrap, and was all over the paper. After considering a impromptu auction on the firing line, I put in the Medium strap and immediately improved the patterns. After another 50rnds I was sold... so much so that I bought a G27 on Saturday.

One item of note, the trigger is a good bit different than previous Gen's, which I learned was the result of a trigger bar redesign. This causes a distinctive "stop" in the trigger pull about 3/4 through its travel, and almost feels like a 2-stage. I learned after watching the below video that this is due a bump, which looks to have been added to improve slide/receiver fitment. I will not perform this due to its use as a service pistol, but would be interested to hear from anyone that's tried it.

Good luck in your decision. I would definitely compare the triggers of a Gen3 vs. Gen4 before spending any money.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mj8Qt8ofCAw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mj8Qt8ofCAw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

</div></div>

The guy who made that video needs to take a look a model 30 or 36. The bump on the trigger bar is nothing new, it's just been added to the 9mm/.40 line in the Gen4 pistols.

That youtube video is nonsense. Im just over 1k rounds with my glock 17 gen4 and no malfunctions. I carry a sig p229 at work chambered in .357sig and still would prefer my 17 gen4 with some +p+ 9mm ammo.

My duty 229 is my favorite gun when i am carrying it.

off duty my Glocks are my favorite gun.

I have owned a metric F ton of Glocks. Gen 1,2,3 and 4. without hesitation I can tell you I like the Gen 4 the best. My Gen 4 17 is the most accurate 9mm I own. It points well, fits my hand better than the others and has never jammed. Not to mention it shoots like a bitch in heat..

YMMV

If I could purchase a Gen 4 model 19 in the morning without disturbing the force I would. 2 sons in college, a high maintenance wife and 2 Jack Russell's prevent me from doing so for now...

My Gen 4 9mm was a turd. And, I have been a Glock lover for years. The Gen 4 got me to try HK and an M&P. Check out Todd Green's pistol training forum for his less than impressive start to a long term endurance test on a Gen 4 9mm.
If you need a Glock 9mm, an older Gen 3 would be the safest bet. Glock 9mm's used to be the most trusted out of the box gun you could buy. Sadly, they appear to have lost the recipe. A lot of Gen 4's run perfectly well, but the odds of getting a problem one are higher.
The swappable back straps are not well executed. I have read reports (from DocGKR) of people breaking them off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Gen 4 9mm was a turd. And, I have been a Glock lover for years. The Gen 4 got me to try HK and an M&P. Check out Todd Green's pistol training forum for his less than impressive start to a long term endurance test on a Gen 4 9mm.
If you need a Glock 9mm, an older Gen 3 would be the safest bet. Glock 9mm's used to be the most trusted out of the box gun you could buy. Sadly, they appear to have lost the recipe. A lot of Gen 4's run perfectly well, but the odds of getting a problem one are higher.
The swappable back straps are not well executed. I have read reports (from DocGKR) of people breaking them off. </div></div>

But you did not tell us why it was a turd!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Gen 4 9mm was a turd. And, I have been a Glock lover for years. The Gen 4 got me to try HK and an M&P. Check out Todd Green's pistol training forum for his less than impressive start to a long term endurance test on a Gen 4 9mm.
The swappable back straps are not well executed. I have read reports (from DocGKR) of people breaking them off. </div></div>

But you did not tell us why it was a turd! </div></div>

Well, watching +p ammo cases roll out of the ejection port, dribble across my knuckles and land next to my feet was not very confidence inspiring for one. Having magazines that worked well in numerous other Glocks have FTF failures was another reason. Those reasons and a number of other observations led me to a vote of no confidence.

get one. if u don't like it. I'll buy it fer cheap! lol

I haven't shit any gen4 9's but did put my new PD issued gen4 23 through it's paces and can say I didn't have any problems. Shot almost 500 rounds trying the different backstraps but for my hand I like it without any of the backstraps installed. I liked the larger sized mag release. It was easier to manipulate during mag changes. If you have a gen3 and feel the grip is to larger look at the robar guns website they do some great work to glocks. I had my gen3 27 sent to them for grip reduction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krg648</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't shit any gen4 9's but did put my new PD issued gen4 23 through it's paces and can say I didn't have any problems. Shot almost 500 rounds trying the different backstraps but for my hand I like it without any of the backstraps installed. I liked the larger sized mag release. It was easier to manipulate during mag changes. If you have a gen3 and feel the grip is to larger look at the robar guns website they do some great work to glocks. I had my gen3 27 sent to them for grip reduction. </div></div>

Why am I not surprised that this post was typed by a New Jersey cop?
shocked.gif
Let us know when you get to "shit" some Gen4 9s or if they are "to larger" for you.

some rounds are hotter from the factory than others. I am willing to bet that most of the failures are due to running the cheapest of the cheap practice ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">some rounds are hotter from the factory than others. I am willing to bet that most of the failures are due to running the cheapest of the cheap practice ammo. </div></div>

Like the 124+P gold dots and the 115+P Federal I had dribbling across my knuckles?? Glock screwed the pooch with the Gen 4's.

PS. I have been shooting and competing with Glocks since the late eighties, so I have seen a few.......

My Gen 4 17 was one of the early ones without the counterbore inside the slide for the guide rod..

I had maybe 3 FTEs in the first 400 rounds or so. Then I got the upgraded 0 2 1 spring and it's been flawless every since (it now has just over 2200 rounds fired).

Hey 3per that was typed from my phone and the auto correct kicked in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krg648</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey 3per that was typed from my phone and the auto correct kicked in. </div></div>

Now <span style="font-weight: bold">that</span> is funny.

Like the 124+P gold dots and the 115+P Federal I had dribbling across my knuckles?? Glock screwed the pooch with the Gen 4's.

PS. I have been shooting and competing with Glocks since the late eighties, so I have seen a few....... [/quote]

Wow!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gen one smoothies is where it at......like this one...
MVC-030S.jpg
</div></div>

Forgive my ignorance...but what is the story/significance of this picture?

Glocks used to come in those boxes, instead of the cases they come in today. The boxes have a peg in the middle that goes through the trigger guard. However, in order to fit the peg thorugh the guard, the trigger needs to be pulled (dry fire). Lapse in mindset = boom, and then, "oh shit".