• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Gen. 4 Glock 20; opinion and availability

judgedelta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
Mississippi
I'm thinking I want a Glock 20. Anyone have any personal experience with the Gen 4 and know where to find one? Thanks...

I went back and forth over a 3rd or 4th gen for my new G19, and decided on the 4. Mainly for the extra magazine (comes with 3 mags vs. 2) and the larger mag release button. The grip texture and interchangeable backstraps didn't really do much for me over the 3rd gen and I stipple my grips anyways.

16 rounds of 10mm on the hip in the Glock 20 makes me smile at night when in dark places. Hitting targets at 75 yards that you're aiming right on is nice too. I just recently got one after a few friends had them and I won't be letting it go anytime soon. Great backup gun in the woods when hog hunting also. 165 grain Double Tap Golden Sabres at just over 1400 Fps. Mine is a Gen 3 SF but my hands aren't small. Wouldn't mind checking out a Gen 4 though. The trigger is a good ways from the blackstrap even on my SF

Last edited:
I've been mulling over the G20 for a few months and they are few and far between in S Louisiana. I have small hands and had to settle on handling a Gen 4 Glock 21 to make my comparison/fit. I put in my order with a small local gunshop knowing it would take some extra time but I did it out of loyalty. Since then I could have purchased a Gen 4 Glock 20 about 100 miles away and one from Glockmeister but like I said....my local shop takes good care of me so almost everything I buy comes from them. If you are close to Memphis, there is a Glock dealer that had everything except a Gen 4 Glock 20 last time I was there and he said he would be getting one in soon but I don't remember the name. Shreveport has a pawn shop that is a Glock dealer. I'm not sure what part of the Delta you are from but if you are willing to drive to Baton Rouge for one PM me and I'll send you the name of the shop I saw one in last Saturday.

Thanks Oakflat. My local dealer found me one in Chattanoga and has it on the way. If I can just find some brass now... I had a pretty good stash of whatever I was loading, and had no idea that times are as tough.

10mm brass

Judge -- there is a source in Atlanta where I've recently been successful in getting used 10mm brass. They're good guys, fairly price their brass and have been very nice to deal with. Their website is the brass exchange llc . Even though it wasn't listed on their website, I emailed them about 10mm, and the quickly responded that they had some. I drove over the next day and they had it waiting for me. Hope this helps.

oldfudd

Here's a post of mine from a few months ago about my Gen 4 G20:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...4-score-flat-dark-earth-gen-4-glock-20-a.html

I love the 10mm, especially Glock 10mm's. My newest one from the post above has proven to be extremely accurate, unlike some other Glocks I've owned. Starline brass was showing 10mm brass in stock yesterday, that's all I buy. I've been loading theur brass for 5 years or more now. I have plenty of other headstamps I use also, from shooting factory ammo but the Starline is excellent quality and worth purchasing.

Just as German Salazar said "The 30-06 is never a mistake"...

I say: A 10mm Glock is never a mistake.

I have a Gen 3, it is fairly accurate. I think going with a Gen 4 would be better, as I believe the dual recoil spring is a big step up in reliability. My G20 is for traveling in Alaska, where reliability is everything.

s

I've had several Glock 20's and currently have a Gen4. It's the only Glock that I own and consider it to be the best Glock made. It just naturally points for me too. I can't say that about the other Glocks. I'm not sure if it's the bigger grip or what. Very accurate pistol too.

Same as Steelhead here, the gen4 g20 is the only Glock I own. I just threw in a KKM Precision TB and sent the slide off to get a RMR milled and installed. Pics coming....

I have a few tens, a 20, 29 and a 1006. The 1006 is the tank, if you're into handloading and pushing limits, you want that one. It's a a lot of fun too, and you feel like you're holding something. Also, if it's just a range toy, the 1006 is better for many other reasons too.

Anyway, the only complaint I have about the gen. 4 was when it came out, the SF frame I got had the ambi mag release. First time the mag got stuck, second or third time the mag dropped and so did the release. Just fucking junk, it never should have made it past R&D (Glock has been known, particularly as of the last few years, of releasing shit that looks good on paper but hasn't been tested --this was obviously one of those). I made them send me a shipping label (they wanted me to pay for that at first) and they sent me a new SF frame with the regular mag release. No more problems.

Reliable, flat shooting, powerful, high cap. It's the pinnacle of handguns if you ask me. As long as it doesn't have the ambi mag release, for me at least. 10mm is my favorite round (I load) but for serious carry I tend to sway to a G27 --just lighter and smaller.

hy4yhyzy.jpg

G20....

Got mine Friday, along with some Serbian ammo. Plan to shoot this PM when (if) it cools off a little...

If it's the PPU fodder, it's water-down, barely .40-level crapola.
You'll do slightly hotter w/ the 180gn 10mm load from Armscor. That's running @ 1150fps, same as Remington's load but at a better price-point. For the high-performance loads, look at DT, BB or Underwood. Corbon is, more or less, second tier, being in the upper mid-range for the bullet-weights they use. For hunting use, backwoods carry or bear country loads, stick w/ selections from DT, BB or Underwood.

Off-the-shelf, Hornady makes a respectable 180gn XTP load @ 1180fps, if you can't find anything else for immediate anti-BG use.

Avoid Winchester's 175gn 10mm ST ammo. It's not doing anywhere near the claimed boxflap velocity of "1290fps" and indictments should have been returned years ago for false advertising. More recent chrono-data, derived from the barrels of real-world guns (e.g., 4.6" G20s & 5" S&W 1006s), pegs the 10mm STs as doing anywhere from 1125fps-1225fps, depending on the lot.
Plus, the ST is a first generation 10mm bullet and, while it's always been a phenomenal expander, it is notorious for being an underpenetrator for that same reason. If the BG is courteous enough to invade your home in t-shirts and shorts, it probably doesn't matter.
But against intermediate barriers, which can include bulky or layered cold-weather clothing (down or leather coats, denim shirts/jeans, belt buckles), or auto glass & metal, thick wood paneling and such, good luck. At that level, the Horn 180gn XTPs are the better choice.

Better still for SD and EDC are the range of choices in high-performance 10mm HP ammo offered by the so-called boutique ammo-makers (DT, etc). You can, of course, always roll your own.

:cool:

Last edited:
I've shot a box of 50 in my new 20 and it is accurate enough, but I keep shooting to the right and slightly low (I'm a lefty). Will try another box, then think about adjusting the rear sight. Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. JD

I have a 20 in OD green and it goes with me on all my hunts. Love the 10 mm and even if you have a 9, 40 or 45 as your primary caliber for your handguns the 10mm is one to add.

I'd love one, just can't see myself adding a new caliber as then I'd have to buy a few thousand rounds (minimum I feel comfortable with) which I can't afford right now.

becker999 - how does that new rmr shoot for ya?

I should never have clicked this thread. I've owned a gen 2, and a gen 3 SF. I hated I sold the SF, until seeing the gen 4.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm thinking I NEED one. I have a gen 3 standard frame and really like it but I like the gen 4 guns more. I have medium size hands so the large frame is a little bigger than I'd like but I still shoot it well. I think the SF size of the gen 4 combined with the rough texture would make it easier to hold onto with heavy loads. I know buds has them in stock right now and their price is as good as anywhere else. I believe Oakland Tactical a hide sponsor also sells Glocks, I think he stocks the common stuff though so you'd probably need to contact him directly for a 20.

can also get the Talon grip tape for the Gen3

but the gen4 recoil asm is more forgiving to the shooter - out of the box that is.

I don't want to add any more bulk to an already bulky gun so I'm going to probably end up getting a gen 4. I would get a SF but if I'm going to take the loss on a used one and buy new I might as well spend the extra $40 for get the gen 4.

Gen. 4 Glock 20; opinion and availability

becker999 - how does that new rmr shoot for ya?

First RMRd pistol..... But it makes the pistol extremely accurate with extremely quick follow ups..... I don't know why I waited so long!

Highly recommend it...... Now to red dot the rest of them....I think I will try the new Docter3 though as it seems to be an improvement over the RMR and it will fit the smaller frame pistols much better.