• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Gen II Razor vs PH

oneshotwonder

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2013
Australia
Hey all. Ive searched the forums top to bottom, and have found, and read, alot of good stuff. Just want every bodies opinions now, as all the other posts are kind of old.

I was all set to get a Razor gen II 4.5-27, now i have found a used Premier Heritage 5-25 with USMC rings for the same amount. Razor would be a EBR-2c and the premier is a Gen2xr. I can live with both reticles.

I have emailed ATI asking about warranty issues on the Premier, and they promptly wrote back, assuring me they would honor it.

So, knowing that the PH has superior glass ( maybe subjective) and knowing price is the same give or take, which would you go for? All the uncertainty about PH seems to be mostly from 2012.....

Cheers oneshowonder

Interesting comparison: Discontinued/ defunct scope pitted against one not yet available...

I've not handled a Razor Gen2, but based SOLELY (and I know I'll catch flak for this) on the Razor Gen1, the Premier is in an entirely different league. It makes the Vortex seem like a Simmons in presentation, feel, glass etc etc. Zero comparison whatsoever in my mind.

Vortex will have had to have really stepped it up for the new razor to compete against premier.

Keeping in mind im from Aus, so our shooting industry and second hand sales are up the shitter. I wont even start that rant........

I know the Razors arent out just yet, but a hypothetical question- if they were both brand new and both cost the same and Premier hadnt gone all fucked up for awhile, which way would you swing? Glass and turrets in particular because both have nice reticles.

Its my choice i know, but aint no way in hell im gonna find a Razor or Premier sitting on a shelf here in Aus to compare. I feel like a douche for asking but you dont know how bad it is down here.

Last edited:
Additionally, when is the Vortex Gen II even going to start shipping? I know the common forecast has been for the June-July timeframe, but I haven't heard any updates for a while now...

Keeping that in mind, do you think you can wait up to a month for the Vortex to start shipping?

Seriously??? With so many options out there, these two are your picks? Thankfully, both companies have proven themselves great at customer service. The only problem...chances are good that you will need it. Pretty much every other scope in that price range would be a better choice.

I know I always go with the one I can get versus the one that I have to wait for. With the Vortex Gen II we are still in the hype phase versus in the customers hands phase so the choice seems pretty easy to me. If you see a Vortex you want later sell the Heritage but I don't that will be the case.

It would be nice if persons would give OneShot your opins on a 'better' brand than those 2.

Can not figure out why so many on here play hide and seek with their super secret best scope/gear. Pretty sure if SHTF he / she couldn't swim here to get you since they'd be a nice snack for Katherine, although she is nearing TX.

(Hey Oneshot - can you find me some Hardcore Hardware for a good price or a kangaroo leather jacket???)

I've not handled a Razor Gen2, but based SOLELY (and I know I'll catch flak for this) on the Razor Gen1, the Premier is in an entirely different league. It makes the Vortex seem like a Simmons in presentation, feel, glass etc etc. Zero comparison whatsoever in my mind.

Vortex will have had to have really stepped it up for the new razor to compete against premier.

They did. The Razor II is a new scope that will easily go against the PH. Once you handle one you will see.

As for ship dates the July time frame is still on last I talked to them.

Seriously??? With so many options out there, these two are your picks? Thankfully, both companies have proven themselves great at customer service. The only problem...chances are good that you will need it. Pretty much every other scope in that price range would be a better choice.

Hit the nail on the head.

Care to share why they shouldnt be my "picks"? Ive had NF's for a few years now, and im looking to step up.

When a Nightforce F1 is going for $3750 down here, my choices are somewhay more limited than yours in the States. Im looking at or over, 4k for a second hand S&B pm II. About $5500 for a new one. And as far as Steiner or Kahles goes, forget it. You wont find anyone stocking them. I can import one, then pay over 10% gst, and im still no better off.

And to Rob. Im not doubting you dude, but are they seriously in Premiers league? I notice your sponsored by Vortex.

Last edited:
And to Rob. Im not doubting you dude, but are they seriously in Premiers league? I notice your sponsored by Vortex.

I have owned 2 Premiers and after seeing the 4.5-27 Razor II at SHOT I ordered 2. Hated the Premier GenII XR reticle. Too thin. I know optics and I believe they are easily in the PH league but it's your money so buy what you want.

And the Razor scopes are not known for having to use the excellent Vortex customer service. The PSTs are the one with more of that reputation so don't confuse them.

I had the chance to look through and check out Scott Parks new Razor Gen II at the NorCal TBRC match and all I can say is WOW.
I'm impressed with everything about it, completely new design, the reticle is great and for the few minutes I had to look through it the glass is too.
Wouldn't hesitate to have one on my match rifle at all.

Interesting comparison: Discontinued/ defunct scope pitted against one not yet available...

I second this. I own both the Premier and the Razor Gen I... there is no comparison. The Premier is much better.

But like Rob said, if Vortex has stepped up their game... one could be incline to go with the Razor II... but only time will tell.

Judging the new Razor II scopes before seeing or using them based on the original Razor, still a solid scope and excellent in it's price range, is like saying I don't want this

Pick1.jpg

Based on seeing this

90114051990918-480.jpg

A lot of people will be changing their tune when the scope hits the street in full release.

…………………..

Pretty sure once you're into the NXS and beyond $$$$ everything is personal pref. (reticles etc..) and Ego.

Last edited: