• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

General purpose 308

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
Oklahoma
Afternoon gentlemen. I'm looking for a general purpose hunting and target 308. Main requirements are threaded barrel, detachable mag preferred. Quality stock that doesn't need to be changed. Basically I want a solid rifle gtg out of the box that requires no mods to perform. I've set my budget at 1k and the 2 that seem to fit my needs best are the Bergara HMR and Savage 110 tactical with accufit accustock. Price in today's market its close enough its a wash. Will be topped with Bushnell lrhs if that matters.

Have you looked at the Seekins Havok? its a few hundred more but would be worth it. The havok can take advantage of most R700 accessories and is a modern refined American made action. Out of your choices, I would pick the Bergera, better factory stock, more aftermarket support a little more fit and finish than a savage.

I found my Bergara HMR Pro 6.5 CM for $1,000.

If you can do the same, that is what you want. Much better action, barrel, trigger, and finish than the B-14 HMR.

Not knowing the kind of hunting you are looking into - if you don't want to mess with it but still have decent options for aftermarket, CTR like others have said. That said, I'd take a hard look at Sig Cross as well. Or Ruger Ranch if you want to keep some money in your pocket.

Have you looked at the Seekins Havok? its a few hundred more but would be worth it. The havok can take advantage of most R700 accessories and is a modern refined American made action. Out of your choices, I would pick the Bergera, better factory stock, more aftermarket support a little more fit and finish than a savage.
few hundred?

some of you need to learn to read

OP, tikka ctr and the hmr fits your bill. Of the two, Tikka may be a touch more accurate but the HMR will allow for changes down the road should you decide you want to.

Tikka CTR is nice. Eventually you’d probably want a KRG bravo or similar for it

Bergara is a solid rifle as well. I have the B14R (.22 version)

You can find Ruger Precision Rifles used for around $1K

If you plan to do lots of walk/stalk hunting with only a slight bit of target shooting then lighter may be better

Reactions: powdahound76
Does anyone have a lead on a Tikka in stock anywhere? The supply seems to have dried up

What's the ROT on the Tikka?

Found it...Google is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:
The bergara line is a great value. I have a 6.5cm premiere (now in a krg w3) that I shoot comps with and a 300wm hmr wilderness that just took an elk at 486yrs in the fog. Would buy both again in a heart beat.

Attachments

• 20220730_135626.jpg
    20220730_135626.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 30
The bergara line is a great value. I have a 6.5cm premiere (now in a krg w3) that I shoot comps with and a 300wm hmr wilderness that just took an elk at 486yrs in the fog. Would buy both again in a heart beat.
I'm looking at the ridgeback line now