• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

General question about compressed loads

omgtkk

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2013
S.E. Pa
I'm still trying to find a consistent, accurate load for my 224 Valkyrie. I've gone through 6 bullets ad 6 powders with questionable results. One of the loads that shows some promise is the Nosler 85 RDF over 27.4gn of H4350. Since Hodgdon doesn't list a load for 85gn bullets, I picked a max between the 80 and 90gn loads and stayed within it. Hodgdon lists the max loads for this powder as being compressed. 27.4gns of powder fills the case up to the bottom of the neck. These bullets need to be seated fairly deep to stay off the lands, so there is a lot of compression and crunching taking place when I seat them. The loads showed decent accuracy with a single digit SD. no pressure signs on the primers

So, my question is: what are the possible issues or problems with using a load that is compressed this much. None of the other loads I use are compressed, so this is new territory for me.

As long as it isn’t over pressure the only possible issues you’ll see from compressing, depending on the level of compression is deforming the bullet when seating, and/or the bullets pushing back up/out which will effect your OAL consistency as well as possibly put you back in the lands or over max OAL for the mag.

You’ll usually see a ring on the bullet from the seating stem before there’s enough compression to push the bullet back out.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Not sure what seating die you're using, but Redding explicitly forbids compressed loads with a lot of their dies.

One thing you can do is try to settle the powder a bit before seating. I just hold my finger over the case mouth and tap it on the bench a few times.
Other guys hold the case up to some vibrating device like a sonicare tooth brush or vibratory tumbler.
You might be surprised how much more room that can give you with H4350.

Thank you for the replies. The dies are RCBS. I tap the cartridges with a pen to settle the powder before seating. I also let the rounds sit for a few minutes after seating and recheck the OAL before I put a light crimp on them with a Lee factory crimp die. I guess as long as my SD's stay good, I won't worry about it any more.
Now...if I could just get this rifle to give me good consistent groups