• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Genetically disadvantaged. Lefty needs advice.

Scottyman

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2008
Maine
I'm afraid I might have to settle for a right handed action. Knowing you have to compromise and dish out a lot of money isn't a good feeling.
If Remington made the 700 TARGET TACTICAL 308, 26" VTR w/ 5R rifling in left hand I'd be all over it.
Is there anything out there in that price range w/an accurate barrel and decent stock in left hand?
Is adapting to a right handed action not that big of a deal?

--

Re: Genetically disadvantaged. Lefty needs advice.

I know a left handed shooter that has ONE left handed gun and HATES it. He has been accustomed to shooting a right handed bolt gun for so long that he is actually SLOWER with a left handed rifle.

As far as the trget tactical goes I think you can do much better for the money.

Shoot right handed, that what I do, or use a RH boltgun and shoot left handed, alot of guys do the later and are really fast on there follow up shots,

Shooting right (eyed) handed is out of the question. Using a right handed action is doable I guess.
Are there better deals for the price than the 700 Target (5R) Tactical? I've had no luck searching.
I want an A3-5 or similar style stock w/adjustable LOP and ambi comb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Shooting right (eyed) handed is out of the question. Using a right handed action is doable I guess.
Are there better deals for the price than the 700 Target (5R) Tactical? I've had no luck searching.
I want an A3-5 or similar style stock w/adjustable LOP and ambi comb.
</div></div>

SPS Tactical, buy upgrades. The barrel can be threaded for a can down the road, not sure if the target tacticals can.
B&C Tactical stocks can be found, and it would be a couple hundred bucks cheaper

The SPS Tactical barrel's just as accurate as the 5R's?

I found the stock for $407. Good price? Olive w/black web.

I'm also lefty and tried to manage with RH action, god I tried, but it just wasn't good. Eventually faced the facts and got me a Tikka T3 varmint stainless lefty. There was problem with aftermarket stocks and other accessories but nowadays mcmillan and roedale will make stocks for them also.

Frankly, I really don't understand the advice of learning to shoot with "wrong" hand just because there are not enough aftermarket accessories for those. This may be true with bolt-on accessories and stocks, but IMO it's just a bad compromise, because half-decent gunsmith can do everything for the LH action also, it shouldn't be that big deal.

Dude
We have our very for sale section
Left handed rigs only ck it out
listed under WTB/WTT forum

Im a lefty and ive tried also to shoot right handed bolt action and i dont like it. I just bought a remington LTR in left hand and its very comfortable to hold and work the bolt. Im waiting to put optics on it. It feels very very wierd for mt to shoot a right handed gun or try to shoot right handed also.

Tikka T3 LH SS Varmint. Get a McM or a Roedale AICS for it. You do not have to give up anything in accuracy or shootability.

You should get it in 6.5X55 but I read somewhere Beretta does not ship thos to the USA. If 308Win is ok then get one.

I agree with the above comments. I first started out with a RH rem 700 P and then had it trued and bartlein barrel put on. I didn't really mind it, but it always bothered me that I had to break my hand away from the bag to work the bolt, not to mention any positional shooting. Since then, I have sold that rifle and just got my first custom rifle built in LH and I will never own another RH bolt except for my .22 lol. I would go with LH and don't look back
smile.gif

Alan

I am also a lefty. I will never own a LH bolt gun. I shoot well LH and RH but just feel more comfortable shooting LH. I think that for easy resale of a custom also makes it better to be RH. But opinions are like assholes!

I'm a lefty in everything except shooting. I shot lefty growing up but discovered I was right-eye dominant while serving in the Corps. Switched to right-handed and improved my scores dramatically. Eye dominance is the determining factor... Period.

Buy a savage LH tactical Short action rifle with 4.40" bolt centers and ship it to CDI for the install of some bottom metal and a couple extra mags.Put some decent glass on top and get to the range.Lifes too short to suffer one more day shooting an inferior RH rifle.Come out from the Darkside.
Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heikkiv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm also lefty and tried to manage with RH action, god I tried, but it just wasn't good. Eventually faced the facts and got me a Tikka T3 varmint stainless lefty. There was problem with aftermarket stocks and other accessories but nowadays mcmillan and roedale will make stocks for them also.

Frankly, I really don't understand the advice of learning to shoot with "wrong" hand just because there are not enough aftermarket accessories for those. This may be true with bolt-on accessories and stocks, but IMO it's just a bad compromise, because half-decent gunsmith can do everything for the LH action also, it shouldn't be that big deal. </div></div>

I shot left handed for a few years (im a lefty). Forced myself to start shooting right handed and now shooting left side almost feels unnatural.

I can now shoot pretty well either left or right.

JMO.
-dan

It's not right or left handed, it's right or left eye dominant. I'm left eye dominant, and have both. Right handed bolt is just as quick, if I can remember which rifle I'm shooting.

Generally I'm not a big fan of Savage, but any info on the 10 FLCP-K? Is it a shooter? Aftermarket?

The Tikka SS Varmint looks promising too, but I don't see McMillan making an A4 or 5 for it.

They'll make one. Just asked couple of weeks ago
smile.gif

Scottyman said:
Generally I'm not a big fan of Savage, but any info on the 10 FLCP-K? Is it a shooter? Aftermarket?

I hear that alot about savage rifle's.Their rifles might not look as pleaseing to the eye as some of the other manufacturers,but they perform right out of the box,for less $$$.Thats more money to spend on optics and accesories.Generally,I was a savage snob myself,until I tried a stock LH tactical .308 (With a Timney trigger installed)at a friends range without our bench rest buddies around.It was a long action chambered to 308 and I shot 5 shot's into one ragged hole at 100 yds.I bought one the next day.That was years ago and my custom LH rifles have been limited to safe queens since.Savage has offered production Lefthanded rifle's since the late 50's.With the advent of the accu trigger and accustock,their rifles are better than ever.Plus you can customize them,if you have some mechanical ability.
I have no info for you about the 10 FLCP-K,except that it comes with the accu trigger,accustock,fluted barrel,muzzle brake and 5 round detachable mag for around $750 (dealers cost).Add some decent glass+rings and your off to the range for some trigger time.If it's part of their LE line,it's probobly a performer too.Savage offers Mcmillan and HS stocks on some of their rifles,so you can parade it around the range if you'd like.
Team savage just kicked some ass and broke a 1,000 yd record over in Europe with stock Mdl 12 F-T/R rifles chambered in .308.Granted the rifle won't perform like that with every shooter,but the capability is there from a factory firearm.No I don't work for Savage,but if they read this post,I'm still waiting for the Left hand version of the 338 lapua.Show us lefties some love.
STEVE

It depends on how you are going to use the rifle. I have a Savage model 12 in .22-250 that is right handed. I shoot targets and predators with it. I can cycle the bolt, never have to remove my trigger hand from the rifle, and not lose sight picture. But only if I am shooting prone. I have a Savage 10FLCP in .308 that I target shoot with as well as hunt anything in Texas with. I have to fire it off hand from time to time. It is next to impossible to cycle a right handed bolt while shooting off hand if you are a south paw. So I really like the rifle for just about any purpose. I was on the same quest last fall for a quality left-handed .308. I looked for Remington 700 and Savage. It was next to impossible to find a 700 that fit the bill. Don't fear the Savage, they are tack drivers! When I buy a magnum rifle it will be another Savage for sure.

I am also a lefty. To be honest it is no big deal to be shooting right handed rifles, but I have been shooting since I was 5 years old. There are some advantages shooting a right handed bolt left handed. When shooting off bags or a bipod you do NOT have to break your cheek weld and you can keep your rifle in position easier.

As for the people that say just shoot right handed how about you just shoot left handed then tell us how easy it is.

Another option as stated above is Savage. They are actually a very good rifle these days. Several years ago their QA was crap but that has changed however that old reputation still follows them. They have grown beyond that and are exellant shooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halligan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It is next to impossible to cycle a right handed bolt while shooting off hand if you are a south paw. </div></div>

I've tried left-hand drills with a TIS sling (I'm right handed with a right-handed AICS stocked rifle) and I can sorta cycle it while in positions other than prone but it is not pretty, and it takes me forever to try to sling up 'backwards'.

Here's my LH Savage. It is almost .5 MOA with no mods to the rifle.
Savage10.jpg

Us Left Handed people are evil, but shooting wrong handed for us is not hard or out of the question, I have trained my brain to conform to the right handed mans ways, eye dominance is complete BULLSHIT when optics are involved, so don't start that, practice practice practice, it will become second nature no matter what hand you are.

I just bought a Savage 111flns in 30-06 I'm pretty happy with it so far. Looking to deck it out as money allows