• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes GenI Razor 1-6 JM vs Kahles 16il 3gn??

joelandsteph

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2017
Hey, guys. I'm currently using the Razor on my 3gun rifle and really like the FOV and clarity at 1x. Dot is bright and reticle is very usable.

Is it worth me plunking 2K on the Kahles, or is the performance difference between the two gonna leave me regretting spending the money in the end?

Thanks

I'm assuming you mean Gen II since the Gen I was a 1-4. Anyways, I've owned both (non-E model) at one point. I personally liked the K16i better due to weight, but with the newer E model I'd personally get the Razor Gen II-E. That being said, if you're willing to spend 2k, why not get the Razor Gen III if you can wait until April?

Reactions: Moose
Thanks for the correction...GEN-2. Weight doesnt bother me. I'd only consider upgrading if the field of view and clarity was mindblowingly better than the razor. Dont need much more than 6x for the 3gun. From what I have read so far, it is marginally better. Looking for some experiences. Thanks

I have owned both and still own the Gen2-E 1x6.To me the glass is very close between the both and the only thing I liked better on the K16i was the smooth as silk mag ring.I would also look at the Razor Gen 111 and get a throw lever for it.

Glass very close? Only real difference is zoom ring smoothness? You answered my question, sir. THANKS!!

If a 1x6 works for you Liberty Optics has a great deal on the Razor Gen11-E.I got one from them about a month ago check them out to see if they are still on sale.

I have both and personally prefer the Vortex. The illumination in both is comparable but I prefer the controls on the Kahles...with that being said, I prefer all the controls on the Kahles especially for the magnification. The main reason I prefer the Vortex is because I feel like you see less of the scope between the sight picture and the peripherals so it feels more natural to look down the tube. The weight increase isn't much of a big deal to me personally.

Reactions: jh2785
I have both and personally prefer the Vortex. The illumination in both is comparable but I prefer the controls on the Kahles...with that being said, I prefer all the controls on the Kahles especially for the magnification. The main reason I prefer the Vortex is because I feel like you see less of the scope between the sight picture and the peripherals so it feels more natural to look down the tube. The weight increase isn't much of a big deal to me personally.
Another great perspective on this. Thanks

Ive got both right now. I'm selling one or the other for a x25. I disagree with these guys. Kahles is better at 1x FOV. I think it looks better than a RDS. Tube disappears even more so than the razor. Its ALOT lighter even than the E. Magnification adjustments alot smoother. FoV is noticeable at 6x.

You might not care about weight but it's a really big deal on an AR. Take a 7 lbs rifle. Put a loaded mag, WML light, vfg, suppressor and then a 1.5 lb scope. I shave weight where I can. Especially when it's as good if not better.

I went thru this exact same debate abt 2 months ago. I went to a gun shop abt an hr and a half away and spent a little time with both optics. Granted, I didn't shoot them but spent a lot of time playing with them. I chose the Vortex for the money, if they had been the same price, maybe I would have chose the Kahles. I liked the reticle better in the Kahles but felt glass was a wash. The mag ring was smoother on the Kahles as well. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Razor and I have had zero regrets in the purchase. You can't go wrong with either IMHO.

Reactions: jh2785 and Moose
I went thru this exact same debate abt 2 months ago. I went to a gun shop abt an hr and a half away and spent a little time with both optics. Granted, I didn't shoot them but spent a lot of time playing with them. I chose the Vortex for the money, if they had been the same price, maybe I would have chose the Kahles. I liked the reticle better in the Kahles but felt glass was a wash. The mag ring was smoother on the Kahles as well. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Razor and I have had zero regrets in the purchase. You can't go wrong with either IMHO.
Thanks

I got to look through the gen III 1-10 razor at sheep show. It's impressively light weight compared to the gen II. The 1x of the gen III has a wee bit of fisheye at 1x compared to the kahles (which has none), but i believe the razor also had better FOV at all mag ranges (going off memory, correct me if i'm wrong).

Both are excellent optics. You'll be happy with either.

I went through the same process and went with the vortex 1-6 gen2e. However, you might want to wait until after shot as some interesting scopes are on the way.
Cheers, Steve

I have the Razor, and really like the Kahles. But I wouldnt dish off one for the other.

Especially for 3 Gun where you would notice zero difference in performance between the two.

I had my Razor 1-6 out yesterday confirming/adjusting zero for a new batch of ammo. I forgot how much I like this scope. Ive been using it for about six years and never have been seriously tempted to get something else.

I’ve handled the K6i and looked through some on friends guns and it’s really nice, but my Razor get the job done. I may try a gen3 when they available, or upgrade to a Gen2-E if I find a good deal.

I have Z8i 1-8, K16i and razor HD. Although I heard some people argue the glass is better on Swar and Kahles, I just can't see it. Swar and Kahles both have CA, and so does Razor HD but surprisingly not as serious. Overall speaking, razor HD, K16 and Z8i all have similar optic clarity. I can only tell that maybe, just maybe, K16/Z8i is <5% brighter in the image. For FOV, eye box...etc., I can't see huge differences in all three scopes. The reticle is nicer on Z8i and k16i because they are finer. The illumination is the best on Z8i, then the razor. K16i's illumination is not as bright. K16i has the most terrible turrets I have seen on scopes of this price range, it is mushy as hell! Z8i has the best turret in my opinion, and razor's is not bad at all. For the price, Razor is absolutely the winner. K16i is great in 2 things: the lightweight and the nice zoom ring.

I've owned both and I'm a huge fan of the razor but the khales is better I feel. Now is it worth the premium price tag that's totally subjective and depends on your budget. Neither are bad choices at all