• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Georgia Arms ammo

robdes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
Houston, Texas
Anyone have luck with this stuff. I had a gun manufacturer tell me today that it shoots better than Federal GMM out of his AR-10's.

Re: Georgia Arms ammo

It used to be very good 5 or 6 yrs ago when I used it but it seems like I've heard some negative comments about it in the last year or so, not sure. Sorry, not much help I know.

okie

I've had very good luck with the 168gr .308. I bought about 2yrs ago at one of the gun shows they exhibit and I'd say it was just as good as the FGMM and BH I had shot. It was loose in a plastic bag of 50 rnds, what they consider canned heat. I have seen some neg comments floating around lately.

I bought some of their 55gr .223 ammo a few years back just for plinking but it actually suprised me as to how accurate it could be, as far as shooting groups at 100yds.
I wouldn't compare it to a quality match ammo or anything, but for what it cost at the time in my opinion, it was money well spent.

its ok plinking ammo I used some of their 168gr match along time ago before reloading and it didnt shoot good at all,used alot of the canned heat 223 and 9mm the 9mm would blow out primers the 223 and 308 brass was/is once fired mil brass,ymmv

i have used it. not bad ammo. all barrels are different.

Like shooter65 said all barrels are different. I have shot the 168gr match stuff. It gets better than MOA out of my bolt gun, but not much better. Same ammo and same shooter out of my friend's gas gun shoots way better, around .3 MOA. Just like with anything else related to shooting, ymmv.

I have shot their .308 150gr ammo as well. It shot really well for non-match ammo, about a minute and a half.

I did have one case head seperation out of their match ammo.

I bought some of their 9mm Major ammo for an comped open gun. I needed the hot load to make the gun run right. It was loaded so hot that it cracked my slide release and broke the safety. Luckily the parts were fixed for free....

I would stay away from their pistol stuff. Heard only bad things.

I bought a 500 round can of the .308 168grn canned heat a few years ago and it shot pretty good but it came with multiple head stamps. I'd say about 90% Fed and LC and 10% of different others from Winchester to foreign. Shooting the like head stamps with LC and Fed it shot pretty good. I was getting sub MOA with it to 400 yards. I used the odd head stamps for offhand practice.

That said, I had one head seperation with the other odd head stamps. Blew out my extractor. I also checked the others I had shot that day and there was 1 other that was getting ready to let loose. I called them and they were apologetic and polite and to their credit they gave me the option of paying for the repair or sending me 100 rounds of ammo. I took the ammo and sent the bolt to GAP for a quick repair. I have some pics but can't get to photobucket from work.

I'd use their stuff again for a cheaper ammo option if I needed to go that route.

I would say 'be careful' in most cases. I have not had an issues personally, but there have been many threads over the years on this ammo causing problems. Expecially in Glocks, KB's abound I've read.

I bought 500 rounds of .223 for range work in an AR-15 and I was scared enough away from it that I won't put it in any of my good guns. I have an older gas model that takes it OK. Some of the rounds are noticeably underpowdered, some are hot. Besides that it's OK for that type of shooting.

Also, apparently they buy a lot of once fired brass from a military base and reload and headstamp it. So they sell reloaded and new load ammo. Make sure you read what you're buying.

Their quality has gone downhill. Some years ago you could get .223 canned heat dirt cheap and it shot good. The powder charge was very consistant and they wern't getting brass fired from saw's. I don't fool with it anymore but I have had a few friends get brand new ar's from them without any problems because of cases exploding.

I have also had some experience with that ammo, Seem like the Match Ammo shoot pretty well. The older 223 Match Ammo 68 gain JHP shoots extremely well. The newer 68 grain, think Hornady does not compare with the older "Match Ammo" All of the lower quality and price "Canned Heat" does not shoot well in any of my guns.

The 169/308 match ammo shoots less than 1 MOA in my AR 10 platform guns, this is ammo from around 2/3 years ago. They do tumble the loaded ammo to remove the lubricant, seems to have tumbling media in the JHP tips.

Fiddling with hand loads in 223 I can say that the older match ammo shot well in all of my 223 gas guns, about 6 to 8 of them. I can get the same point of impact with Sierra 69 with 24.5 of 748 with 2.25 OAL but I can not get the same small size of groups. Hope that helps.

Dan

I bought three different types of thier match .223 and 5.56 ammo and shot it through 3-4 different Match AR's.
None of it shot better than 1 1/2 MOA.

I had very good luck with their version of M118 (175gr BTHP) over you name the brand brass. It would hold .75 in my Savage, and I used it at a training course where I had no problem making hits at 1000 yrds with it. Keep in mind this was about 4 years ago.

I have also had really good luck with their 180gr .40 cal pistol ammo. I also get outstanding groups from thier 60gr V-Max .223 ammo in my 18" AR/SPR rifle.

I have since switched to HSM for most of my ammo needs. However, I wish I could get my hands on some more of their M118 copy. For the money it was pretty good stuff.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a 500 round can of the .308 168grn canned heat a few years ago and it shot pretty good but it came with multiple head stamps. I'd say about 90% Fed and LC and 10% of different others from Winchester to foreign. </div></div>

Sounds close to my experience (80% LC, 10% IVI (Canadian), 8% PMJ (Korean), 1% Fed, 1% Winchester). Just saying.

I have been using the .223 canned heat for years. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed the quality falling off. What was once great ammo for 3-gun matches and practice now is really only good for plinking just to get trigger time. I have noticed the consistency has fallen off drastically on seating depths and the brass varies in length considerably too. The way it shoots I'm speculating powder charges are inconsistent as well though I have yet to pull bullets and weigh them. Like other members said, the old stuff shot 1 to 1 1/2 MOA, current production shoots more like 3-4 MOA out of rifles that will shoot 1 MOA and under with winchester white box.

the canned heat has never been (last 2 years, no exp before that) , umm shall i say precision, for me lol. More of the plinking and introducing new shooters type (223 and 308). BUT i have had pretty good luck with their 45 and 9mm pistol loads.

The good, 9 shots at 400 yards doing reloading drills
GA168s_001.jpg

The bad
P1010047.jpg

The ugly
P1010050.jpg

P1010046.jpg

Can't add anything that hasnt been said. I bought 300 rounds of 175 gr ammo for my 308. Bought it because the price of the ammo was about the same as buying new components and loading my own. My thinking was I could get some trigger time and have 300 pcs of brass from the deal. Ammo shot VERY WELL but I had three different head stamped brass in the end.