• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Gerber LMF. likes or dislikes

Re: Gerber LMF. likes or dislikes

It's definitely a solid knife. I keep one next to the seat in my truck for emergencies or whatever. Seems almost indestructible and heavy enough to chop down a small tree if you needed to. Plus, it cost like $60 - what's not to like?

My friend just got back from Afghanistan 2 weeks ago and I was kind of suprised when he showed me that this is the exact knife he has been issued (USANG). I got to handle it, and its solid. The worst thing I think I could do to it is scratch the hell out of it, and dull the blade. The sheath leaves a little to be desired. Not a fan of the two retention snaps, and crappy nylon straps they are attached to. But nothing the aftermarket of custom sheath wouldnt fix. It gets a GTG from me.

I love my Gerber LMF II. I've used it a number of times camping to cut up smaller limbs/twigs and even a few small logs for the campfire (just to see if it could). The blade held its edge very well and after 3 nights all it took to restore the blade to its original condition was a couple of runs through the built-in knife sharpener.

Plus its perfect for a SHTF scenario:
1- butt punch on the bottom of the knife can probably shatter a car window if you ever get stuck
2- holes in the handle do make it very easy to fashion into a spear using a stick or a 3 wood hybrid (I play at MY pace, haha)
3- feels very rugged and can last a long time with the coating it contains.
4- built in sharpener allows for years of use without worrying with making special times for sharpening
5- serrated edge will cut through rope VERY quickly

I have had/carried a Gerber BMF for years, started with it in the corps in '96 and haven't even seriously considered switching. If the LMF is half the knife the BMF is its worth it!

My only recommendation is that if you can, pick one up - that is to say, actually hold and handle one before you buy. I wish I had. The knife is great in all respects - except that I hate the way it feels in my hand. The handle is on the thin side and just doesn't fit my hand worth a damn. I keep mine in my emergency bag in my Jeep, as it's a tough, solid blade - just not ergonically suited to me, Obviously, it may fit you fine.

I broke the tip off of mine on an ammo crate. Most tips break on my knives so I've got quite a collection.

It's still functional, but if you are going to use it as a hammer then you need to take the entire sheath off, and a lot of times that isn't going to happen especially when the whole thing is belt mounted.

It's good for the price, but if you need to decide if you need a knife or if you're just distracted from all the other stuff that a knife has on it, or can do other than cut. It's a knife NOT a toolbox.

I speak in general terms about all knives on this.

Caveat Emptor.

Wrap the handle in 550 if you want it larger.

Its a good inexpensive piece of kit.

I like the LMF. Good grip. Well made. Feels really solid in the hand. For a pure survival knife, I wouldn't choose it though. There are better options like the ESEE 5. If you're buying it so that you can take it with you on camping trips and such, it's a great knife. The kit it comes with has just about everything. I don't like the sharpener, but it's the only way you could keep it sharp if SReallyHTF and that's the knife you had.

The reason I say the ESEE is better for a survival knife are three fold. 1) it's not serrated (REALLY easy to sharpen on flat stones and cuts through wood easier) 2) The scales can come off and you can use the blade as a spear tip (again...if SHTF and you were stuck in the wild) 3) Has the divot in the handle to use with a bow to start a fire.

I would tell you about the steel differences, but unless you're purposely trying to destroy the knife, you'll never really know the difference. You'll just sharpen the LMF a little more often. No big deal though. A less expensive option is the Ontario RAT 5. Almost identical knife. Almost...

The blade is too thick and deep.

I think it's fine as a caveman tool. For a fixed blade that one would can use in hunt, dress, camp, etc. it's far from ideal.
I sold the LMFII. I have a Benchmade Nimravus in D2 I like.

I have the Infantry model. It's a bit more involved than I was looking for, but it's harder to bend into interesting shapes than a kirpan, so I take it with me to comps. Yes, it's a thick-bladed piece of inelegance, and almost feels like picking up the short end of a two by four, but it's hard to kill and dirt cheap.

I wish the OP would tell us what the knife would be used for. Hint
smile.gif

+1

- Well built, good weight to it
- Handy built in sharpener (for emergencies and touch up)and window punch
- Good sheath (two handle straps suck but love the retention alone, won't fall out on accident)
- Best value I've seen for 50-68 new. Who cares if you lose it or break it at that price.