• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

German Last Ditch weapons build continues: SPZ-1 and MP3008

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    I recently finished building two copies of WWII German Volkssturm weapons. The first was actually produced in significant numbers near the end of the war...the MP3008 code named "Gerat NeuMunster". It is a simplified copy of the British STEN, also in 9mm. The Germans already had in production a direct copy of the STEN, the "Gerat Postdam". The "Gerat NeuMunster" simplified the STEN even further by doing away with the barrel shroud and switching to a vertical feed.

Original "MP3008" Gerat NeuMunster
    1618531937360.png

As seen in the movie Jojo Rabbit
    1618532102393.png

My MP3008 build. NFA Registered SBR.
    DSCN4199.JPG

DSCN4200.JPG

My second build was the Wimmersperg SPZ-1.
    There is no trace of these weapons in official Nazi documents or even in some German manufacturer's archives. Wimmersperg however had contacts with Mauser, Simson & Co, and Fokker for some of his other designs. It is possible that Wimmersperg designed the Spz's on behalf of the metal goods factory Spreewerke.[1]
    Currently, there is only one true-to-scale museum grade replica of the Spz-l in the world. This was digitally reconstructed by a German designer on the basis of the original construction plans and then built by him and is non-functional.

Picture of the non-functioning museum model
    wimmersperg spz-1.jpg

The plans for the SPZ-1 utilized the 7.92 Kurz round and was gas operated. My copy is in 9mm and is straight blowback. The gun is finished and works fine. Awaiting Cerakote finish.
    DSCN4195.JPG

DSCN4196.JPG

DSCN4197.JPG
    DSCN4198.JPG

Last edited:
    Is it more reliable than the Sten?
    I've spoken to Paras from WW2, and they all said what a tub of shit, the Sten was.
    Wondering if the Germans improved it.

Yes it is reliable. I found the WWII STEN to be very reliable when I carried a suppressed version during my time in the Army. The semi-auto version is a work-around design to meet federal regulations...changing to firing from a fixed firing pin open bolt to a striker fired closed bolt. With the closed bolt version there is more stuff to go wrong and I wouldn't want to carry it in combat. The original STEN, firing from an open bolt, is very simple and if made with even a modicum of care, functions very reliably. However, the STEN's open bolt design, without a dust cover, is exposed to the elements and you have a large hole between the barrel and bolt face that just begs for things to fall into it.

My buddy carrying a Sterling in combat.
    Just curious, why the Stens / Grease Guns / Sterlings and other WWII / immediate post war sub guns? Not that there’s anything wrong with them - in fact, I’ve never even laid hands on one so how would I know.

But I’ve seen more than a few MP5s turned in / life cycled out, so the military at least for a minute (before my time) had them in use and it’s not like they were unavailable to the US government for purchase when you were in. My only guess is that the more refined MP5 wasn’t considered to be, at the time, more than a marginal upgrade.

Just curious, why the Stens / Grease Guns / Sterlings and other WWII / immediate post war sub guns? Not that there’s anything wrong with them - in fact, I’ve never even laid hands on one so how would I know.

But I’ve seen more than a few MP5s turned in / life cycled out, so the military at least for a minute (before my time) had them in use and it’s not like they were unavailable to the US government for purchase when you were in. My only guess is that the more refined MP5 wasn’t considered to be, at the time, more than a marginal upgrade.
    One, for training purposes since we run across these frequently in other countries and second, deniability. There is no connection back to the US with Stens, Sterlings, MP40's, etc.

Typical range day in SF...Romanian AK's, Swedish K, Uzi, suppressed Sten's, and not visible are an MP40, FPK, M25 suppressed sniper system, SKS's, Danish Madsen M-50, Grease Gun, etc.
    2016-01-16 17.33.20.jpg

... and second, deniability. There is no connection back to the US with Stens, Sterlings, MP40's, etc.

I had a “doh” blinding flash of the obvious moment right there.

At most activities stuff is a lot less cloak and dagger now - with the important qualification of “most” - so I was totally tone deaf to the deniability until you said it out loud.

These r awesome. You are one talented guy. Thanks for sharing