• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Get a DPMS SASS vs M1A in a Jae Allen?

DS12

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Well I was looking for something new and not sure if I should get a DPMS SASS or M1A in a Jae Allen?

Also would a US Optics SN3 be overkill?

Thanks.

Re: Get a DPMS SASS vs M1A in a Jae Allen?

Either-different flavors. My pick would be the AR platform.

USO overkill? Oh hell no.

depends on what suits your eye. Both platforms are awesome. I went with an AR as well. I'd pick the optics first before I go for the rifle, especially if you're going for USO. Good choice.

Ford Taurus or Mercedes sedan?

Is there a specific purpose or budget limit that you have in mind?

Depends on the unique value you are looking for because in the end they are the basically the same rifle. The JAE is pretty unique looking as it has the tacti-cool look to it. I have a SASS and it is an awesome shooter but there are lots of them. M1A in a JAE is just good looking to me. IMHO.

You know, those aren't the only 2 rifles on the planet. Tons of others out there in that price range. I have a SASS type rifle and like it, however if I were to buy another factory AR in 308 it would be POF 20".

Thanks everyone!

And yes I'm trying to pick out my optics first, wasn't sure if a $2500 optic for a semi would be overkill though or if I should just stick to something like a leupold or similar >1k optic.

I did start looking at the POFs, little bit more money but man they looks sweet!

So accuracy would be similar on both ar 308 and m1a?

I'm sure alot of people here would agree with me that you should buy the most expensive optics you can afford. That way, you can put it on which ever rifle you choose now and in the future.

Ever consider looking at GA Precision? I've heard nothing but good things about them. There's quite a few of them on the For Sale Forum recently.

AR is a more accurate platform than an M1A, and easier to mount scopes + accessories on it.

Ideally I would look for something with a 20" medium to heavy barrel, 4 rail handguard, flattop, that is DPMS mag compatible so you can use the new magpul mags. Just pick your manufacturer, there are lots out there.

I'm not sure that the POF is more expensive than an M1A in a JAE stock.
Exact prices anyone?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure that the POF is more expensive than an M1A in a JAE stock.
Exact prices anyone? </div></div>

POF's I think run $25-2700 which would be about the same as a Loaded match in a Jae - I was talking about the POF being a tiny bit more coin than the DPMS SASS, which I'm leaning toward the POF alot reading through all the threads here in the hide - thanks everyone!

I just ordered the US Optics SN-3 BTW, figure it should be a good investment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AR is a more accurate platform than an M1A, and easier to mount scopes + accessories on it. </div></div>

Thats definitely up to interpretation. Any 18.5" or 22" M1A you lock up in JAE or Sage will give you the same accuracy as a DPMS SASS. As for ease of optics mounts, if you go the route of SAI, send it to Sadlak for a perfect fit, if you go with a SEI, LRB, 7.62, or FA slap on a mount and go as those are all USGI. If you really want your bang for the buck, buy yourself a LRB M25 Barrelled action with a Kreiger, and have something like this:

831_M25_JAE.JPG

Here is a pic of the receiver

831_M25_without_rail.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AR is a more accurate platform than an M1A, and easier to mount scopes + accessories on it. </div></div>

Thats definitely up to interpretation. </div></div>

Yeah I knew that would get a response.

M1A's are good rifles, I just think the AR is easier to live with. More accuracy for less money. Just my 2cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DS12</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure that the POF is more expensive than an M1A in a JAE stock.
Exact prices anyone? </div></div>

POF's I think run $25-2700</div></div>

I watched a used 20" with a super sniper 16X and half a dozen mags go for 2k awhile back. I could only scrape together 1800 at the time
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AR is a more accurate platform than an M1A, and easier to mount scopes + accessories on it. </div></div>

Thats definitely up to interpretation. </div></div>

Yeah I knew that would get a response.

M1A's are good rifles, I just think the AR is easier to live with. More accuracy for less money. Just my 2cents.

</div></div>

Just like any weapon system, if you know what makes it tick, you can squeeze the accuracy out of it. Me personally; I owned a DPMS, fine gun and shot 1 MOA with ease, but I like the M1A, and I already have an AR. Why, it has more personality and is more fun to shoot. I have seen plenty of SAI M1A's shoot 1 MOA or better. Though I am not a fan of the JAE stock, but the advantages of the Sage and JAE are that you have an instance bedding which can make a M1A Standard or Scout shoot just as well as a DPMS without spending the money on NM or SM. Plus SAI has a lifetime warranty, and if you want to upgrade a Standard to SM down the road you can. If your going to build one from the ground up there are plenty of very good smiths with great reputations around, not to mention the folks at Smith or LRB. Heck right now Fulton has a deal on a complete USGI Rack Rifle for 1,999.00.

My personal choice would be to get a rear lugged LRB M25 with a Kreiger, bed it into a McMillan, and you are going to see sub MOA accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AR is a more accurate platform than an M1A, and easier to mount scopes + accessories on it. </div></div>

Thats definitely up to interpretation. Any 18.5" or 22" M1A you lock up in JAE or Sage will give you the same accuracy as a DPMS SASS. As for ease of optics mounts, if you go the route of SAI, send it to Sadlak for a perfect fit, if you go with a SEI, LRB, 7.62, or FA slap on a mount and go as those are all USGI. If you really want your bang for the buck, buy yourself a LRB M25 Barrelled action with a Kreiger, and have something like this:

831_M25_JAE.JPG

831_M25_without_rail.JPG
</div></div>

What optic is that bro??

Scott

I got some .6's out of my Fulton NM last week with 155 Scenars and Varget. M1A's can definatly be made to shoot. My AR10T has never gotten under .8's with anything I have fed it. I like shooting the M1A more, it just feels better to me, and will most likely part with Ar10. BUT, I will say this, if cost is the primary issue between the 2, you can get to a 1 MOA semi cheaper with an AR.

831_M25_JAE.JPG

831_M25_without_rail.JPG
</div></div>
So what kind of groups do you get with your M1A? My brother has one in a SAGE stock and it shoots at 1 1/2 MOA while my DPMS shoots 1/2 MOA at the same distance. His M1A starts to walk as the barrel gets warm while the DPMS still holds better follow up shots. I have yet to see a M1A that shoots as good as a SASS out of the box. I also have yet to see a M1A that shoots as good as a SASS without dropping another $1800 into the rifle. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> DPMS SASS vs M1A in a Jae Allen?</div></div>

A third option... sub MOA National Match EBR from SEI

IMAG0024.jpg

I have both a sass and an M1a--my m1 shoots as well as the sass and all I did was a bedding job on the stock and shimmed the gas system--cost less than $50

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
831_M25_JAE.JPG
</div></div>
How much does this rifle as pictured weigh?

My shooting partner has an M1A in JAE stock . It has the heavy pattern barrel with USO ST-10 . We put it on the scales and it weighed 20.5 lbs !! He had a Parker Hale bipod and sling . I don't remember if mag was loaded or not but I think it was loaded . I like the stocks but they are too heavy for me .

david

Get neither - get an LMT MWS or an OBR.

To those of you who say I say this in every M1a vs.... thread. There is a reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al redneck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My shooting partner has an M1A in JAE stock . It has the heavy pattern barrel with USO ST-10 . We put it on the scales and it weighed 20.5 lbs !! He had a Parker Hale bipod and sling . I don't remember if mag was loaded or not but I think it was loaded . I like the stocks but they are too heavy for me .

david </div></div>
That is the biggest issue with the M1A and SASS they are all heavy! My DPMS is no 20+lbs but still heavy enough.

My M1A is around 15 lbs with scope,sling, and loaded mag . It is heavy but recoil is light and it shoots well and is totally reliable . I had an Armalite AR-10 and it would jam at around 200 rds if not cleaned . I have never had a jam in either M1A and have put about 2,000 rds through them . The AR 10's are heavy and by the time you scope them they are about the same weight as the M1A . I am selling 1 M1A because I don't need 2 but would NEVER be without one . I have shot my M1A at 1,000 yds and it was sub moa .

david

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al redneck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My shooting partner has an M1A in JAE stock . It has the heavy pattern barrel with USO ST-10 . We put it on the scales and it weighed 20.5 lbs !! </div></div>

Yep, the JAE is a heavy stock and the heavy profile barrel makes it even worse.

The NM SAGE EBR stock will be pounds lighter.

I was asking the same question a year ago so I decided on both
cool.gif

The USO works well on both platforms. So much so that I may ditch the MKIV for a second SN3 TPAL

291-gen12.jpg

That's what I'm talking about BattleAxe, very nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
291-gen12.jpg
</div></div>
if you don't mind me asking, how much does each one of those rifles with USO scope weigh in at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you don't mind me asking, how much does each one of those rifles with USO scope weigh in at? </div></div>

I'm shooting tomorrow and I'll throw them on the scale. I know the SASS is lighter than the M1A by a few lbs. but both are artillialry pieces when dressed out. Personally I'm of the belief that weight is a plus when it comes to long range precision... A body at rest tends to stay at rest.

They both would make poor patrol rifles but so would a M110. I threw the M1A on my fish scale with the USO, full mag of 175's, bipod, monopod, and sling and I think I recall maybe 20lbs but I don't trust that scale.

OK...SASS weighs 17 W/USO SN3 TPAL, full mag of 168 TAP, bipod, monopod.

JAE-M1A weighs in at 19 similarly dressed except for a MKIV-M3.

I've always wanted another built up M1A so my vote is for a JAE stocked LRB built option if time and budget allow.

just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was asking the same question a year ago so I decided on both
cool.gif
</div></div>

I did the same and then ended up selling my AR-10 to fund another MK14... no regrets
cool.gif

My DPMS shoots great. I had a .442 MOA group when I was load developing. Can't complain about it. Never malfunctions either. I had a Springer M1A and ended up getting rid of it. That's just me though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ErikTaylor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a Springer M1A and ended up getting rid of it. That's just me though! </div></div>

What a coincidence! I also got rid of my M1A
smile.gif