• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Get a motorcycle or not???

Re: Get a motorcycle or not???

I say go for it. Theres very few things that satisfy you like the open road on 2 wheels. Weather you go sport or cruiser just ride within your limits and you should be fine. I know other drivers cause wrecks and the consequences on a motorcycle are magnified as compared to a car. Ive been in accidents and have been with people when they had them and all of them were caused by rider error not other drivers. They are tons of fun just be safe and watch for that car to pull out or some guy opening a door. Heres a little video of me and two friends riding 2 years ago at deals gap just to persuade you to the darkside. Ride safe! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgngbwWO30s&feature=related

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Polytrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"They would be like learning to fly in an F18."</div></div>That analogy would have merit if I had suggested the OP purchase a Moto GP bike to learn on. Also, were talking street bikes, modern street bike tires are going to ride,handle and brake better than dual sport tires. The reason I bring up tires is because of the tiny contact patch that motorcycle tires provide, why not make that contact as large a possible? </div></div>

Naahh, that'd be more like learning to fly in an SR71. The Speed Triple 1050 makes about 130HP and is no bike for a beginner. You and I, and probably many other posters in this thread, may have the experience and judgement (and acquired skills) to handle this, but a beginning rider does not. Would you put your little brother or girlfriend on one? I'm not trying to be a dick here, but putting a beginning rider on something like a 1050 is not a good idea.
I'll grant you that dualsport tires may be less sticky than street tires, but the average DS is more forgiving (and less powerful) than than it's street-only brothers. They tend to be smaller and lighter, the exceptions being my KTM, the bigger BMWs, and such. There's NO WAY I'd put a beginning rider on my 990.

My .02, after riding since I was 12, including roadracing, dragracing, and motocrossing. YMMV.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1kz45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My buddy and I rode Saturday, he almost got taken out from a car pulling out in front of him, today, it was my turn, same thing, both incidents there was only a couple of feet to spare. Its very dangerous out there, too much texting and talking on the phone, then theirs the people that don't like bike riders, period! I passed up a guy a couple of weeks ago, truck pulling a trailer driving slow, he chased me down and parked his bumper about 2 feet off my tail pipe, wouldn't back off!! until I yanked up my jacket and started drawing my pistol. I'm going to keep riding, its just to much of a gas saving, and the thrill. I'm also single, no kids, so I don't have the family to think about, if I did I wouldn't ride.
If you do get a bike, spend the money and get the gear, a good helmet, jacket and gloves, never ride in shorts, I like to ride a little aggresive, meaning,just a little faster than everyone else, keep an eye out behind you almost as much as in front.
Good luck if you get one, take a riders course </div></div>

Good info to follow (- 15 year rider -)

I rode everyday for a couple years,wore all the gear and had a blast.In July 09 riding my 1000cc Ironhead Sportster ahead of my wife after we had picked up my 3 year old daughter,a careless trucker made an illegal left turn into my path.I had no time as he was maybe 50 feet from me and I was slightly under the 50 mph speed limit.Long story short my wife and daughter saw me hit,lose my right leg and be thrown about 50 feet over the truck.I woke up and saw my leg laying in the road where the truck driver ran it over.I was concious and alert for a few minutes,long enough to hear the paramedics describing my injuries and make my peace.I woke up 8 weeks later missing my right leg above the knee,my left arm above the elbow,blind in my right eye,my left leg and foot shattered and a ton of internal injuries,I spent several more weeks before going home.I've just recently begun to walk a little with my prosthetic leg.I've had 23 surgeries and will soon have another,probably more in the years to come.I had kidney failure and dialysis that I eventually recovered from but probably shortened my life.I enjoyed the Hell out of riding and even now I don't know if I can say I wished I never rode,you just need to know how bad it can be.A comment on Switchblade's post,I never was a pussy and it wouldn't do to mess with me now.Getting on a bike does not make you a man.

McCullough1050040.jpg

jw, it's all in fun man, but one must remember, there is only maybe 10% of the population that rides motorcycles, so that makes we few who do either crazy or well, not pussies, that's for sure
grin.gif

I have seen many individuals from age 18 to 'old' get taken out on bikes by their or someone else's stupidity. The risk is always there. Taking the risk, well, that takes one who either isn't a pussy or is just plain stupid, and we ain't stupid. When the associated risk is evaluated, the equipment is prepped, and the rider mounts, KNOWING that 'Shit Happens' and rides off anyway, well, a pussy will just stand there and wish out of fear.
Besides, anyone who gets on an ironhead Sporty and kicks that sucker over without getting the associated knee issues isn't a pussy either, and you know damn well you have had the same thoughts concerning people who don't ride yourself.
It's the same attitude for a lot of other stuff. A pussy wishes while those of us who 'do it' get the respect or looks of the wishers and wannabes. Your case is an extreme case and ended not very well. This is the associated risk that all of us take, getting maimed or killed is a risk of riding motorcycles.

Bottom line is though, motorcycles are freakin fun as hell, so either get one and ride, or be the wisher

There are many reasons not to ride a motorcycle.

Emotion is so out of favor today in the management of our daily affairs.

We had a few nice days and on the first riding day of hte year a 16 year old girl was texting and forgot "Here is my turn" and swerved across the lane and took a guy out.

He was on life support for a few days, died though. Rumor mill had it he was part of one of the bad bike groups. But he was still on a motorcycle and it could have been me as I go up that road too.

Everytime I get on my bike I think to myself that something bad could happen.

Sometimes the fear outweighs anything else and I don't ride - that little voice or whatever.

For daily commuting, well it rains so damn much here I only get a couple months out of the year as is.

Definitely things to think about.

<span style="font-weight: bold">jwSubMOA</span>, have you thought about riding again? Maybe a modified trike or modified Can Am Spyder?

I am an avid rider and have for a long time. Nearly 16 years ago (April 11, 1995) I hit a car head-on and it wasn't fun! Close to not living, yes, fucked up oh hell yeah but not as bad as jwSubMOA. I broke my left femur quite badly, fractured my hip, had some internal bleeding, tore my large intestine (3 feet removed), had a massive cut on my right arm, permanent nerve damage & loss of some motion / feeling in my lower left leg & foot, and still suffer from memory loss issues. Almost 16 years and still recovering but I am alive to talk about it.

Yes, I still ride but I am a lucky guy I suppose. 5 Ducati's and almost 16 years later years we have a new Hayabusa in the garage now waiting for spring-time and warmer weather. I learned a valuable lesson that day back in 1995 as the accident was my fault. But when riding and doing everything "right" it doesn't keep the stupid people on the road from trying to kill us riders everyday we're out enjoying or bikes.

Todd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwSubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I rode everyday for a couple years,wore all the gear and had a blast.In July 09 riding my 1000cc Ironhead Sportster ahead of my wife after we had picked up my 3 year old daughter,a careless trucker made an illegal left turn into my path.I had no time as he was maybe 50 feet from me and I was slightly under the 50 mph speed limit.Long story short my wife and daughter saw me hit,lose my right leg and be thrown about 50 feet over the truck.I woke up and saw my leg laying in the road where the truck driver ran it over.I was concious and alert for a few minutes,long enough to hear the paramedics describing my injuries and make my peace.I woke up 8 weeks later missing my right leg above the knee,my left arm above the elbow,blind in my right eye,my left leg and foot shattered and a ton of internal injuries,I spent several more weeks before going home.I've just recently begun to walk a little with my prosthetic leg.I've had 23 surgeries and will soon have another,probably more in the years to come.I had kidney failure and dialysis that I eventually recovered from but probably shortened my life.I enjoyed the Hell out of riding and even now I don't know if I can say I wished I never rode,you just need to know how bad it can be.A comment on Switchblade's post,I never was a pussy and it wouldn't do to mess with me now.Getting on a bike does not make you a man.</div></div>

SR15match:I do miss it and perhaps if I was single I might try to ride again.I won't put my wife and daughter through the stress of worrying about me again.I would be one selfish bastard if I did.

Switchblade:I understand what you meant,just felt it needed to be said.We are GTG.

You guys have given me a lot to consider. I've taken some really serious risks in my life - some well thought out and others not so much. Hearing some of the stories here and also what I've come across on the net and personal discussions with other riders, I'm gonna let this one pass. If I were single and no kids, my position would be different. No one would be relying me. That's not the case though. I have two fantastic boys (7 & 6) that I not only want to see grow up but be an active participant in that progression. Watching their sporting events from the sideline in a wheelchair or trading their cub scout meetings for an extended hospital stay because of some knucklehead is not what I want. Risking that to have a little extra "fun" in life is not worth it in my case. No bike will provide me the fun and enjoyment I get from my sons. For me, it's not so much about fear as it is about potential trade-offs. I know, it can happen in a car too, but the chances of comparable injury are much less likely. I know I'll continue to have the urge and who knows, my mind might be changed shortly down the road. But for now, I'm gonna push it back and just keep shooting...

After every crunch, It took me a couple weeks to get back to where I like to ride. The anxiousness in my head goes away when a sunny day on a back road makes me smile, whack the throttle, then remember why I ride. If I go a few days without riding, I mis it like a SOB. If I ride five days straight in crap rainy weather, I hate it and think about tossing it away, then I think about something funny and crack a fat smile inside my lid.
I have spent many a night or day thinking about losing body parts or getting killed on a bike, but for some reason I just can't do it. The basso profundo rip of my Sporty, or the way the little Blast takes on a back road just keep me hooked. Maybe if I thik about trading it all away for a 'Spec Miata' SCCA racer and go racing I might be able to do it, but then again, why not a V-Twin racer...the risk can be on the bike, in a car, or walking through the campus or the mall parking lot. Shoot, maybe some miscreant who thinks he deserves what is in my wallet might put a slug in my head downtown, so I guess whatever risk there is just has to be in the way I choose to live and go through life.
Whack the throttle, slide into the corners laughing, and if it all ends suddenly, well I know a few things:
I got three smart boys who are doing really well in life thus far
I got a hot ol lady that does everything a guy could ask for
I was having a blast when it ended, living life, not waiting for death

I can say I'm not the only one who thinks this way, or lives this way, but it's the only way I, for one, can do it and stay sane. Bikes are and have always been part of my life, so it must go that I ride. Circumstance allows me to ride 24/7/365, so I have to live with the exposure and associated risks, besides, the next Bio quiz, or Stats test is what usually runs through my head so I guess it's all good in the end when the lights go out
grin.gif

Twisties comin up!

RidinTwisties.jpg

Nah, you don't need a bike. They're too much hassle. Cost too much. Can't ride them when it's icy/snowy. Impractical. Waste of money. Midlife Crisis Billboard. You can get killed on one, or even worse.

Until you ride one. Then you can't be without.

Riding is the best....miss it even though I have a convertible vette. Nothing like riding a nice country road on a bike. As I haven't read every reply to your post, I'm sure some mentioned that you have to be ultra-aware. To me, what makes a riding a bike dangerous is for what purpose are you riding? Using it to commute or replace your regular transportation? Then you will be involved with traffic at the worst times. OR are you using it strictly for recreation and most of the time riding will be on weekends and on back roads taking the scenic route. If that's the case then I'm sure you'll still have some interaction with the typical distracted/oblivious driver but you will surely have less close-calls.

Risk is overrated in a society obsessed with safety. Anyone who has had more than a fleeting experience with imminent danger knows that chaos and randomness rule it all anyway. The truth is that most of us will expire in a bed, or straining on the toilet at 5am while getting ready for the day ahead. Everything else is just posturing and ego. Get a bike or don't get a bike. It doesn't really matter. And whether you do or don't get a bike shouldn't really matter to anyone but you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They say a picture is worth a thousand words:

mail.jpg
</div></div>

Did you take that picture? I think I know where that is, it looks like going into yosemite through inyo. That is one steep ass climb, if it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> theync.com (NSFW),</div></div>

That site is FUCKED UP. Dont know what you were looking for when you found that, but thats just wrong.

I've been around motorcycles nearly my entire life. To sum it up...there are those who have been in a motorcycle crash and those that will. Many of my parents friends used to race pro in AMA who have nearly been killed driving on city streets. It doesn't matter your skill level, but rather the stupidity of everyone else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Did you take that picture? I think I know where that is, it looks like going into yosemite through inyo. That is one steep ass climb, if it is. </div></div>

No that's been around the internet for a few years now.

I had a couple of close calls today, coming out of a corner some guy was getting ready to pull out in front of me.

Because I wrecked my truck on that highway for someone pulling out in front me of I had JUST switched the high beam ON and blared on the horn when I saw the guy.

Don't care if he was offended, he stopped.

I use my horn almost every time I ride...

I did have a wreck when I was 17, was riding a dirt bike and getting ready to climb this big hill, but there was a dip at teh base of the hill so I went INTO the hill at about 30mph, messed up my neck something fierce for a few months.

Like Switch says, if I go I go happy, but I'd rather NOT go.

and as he says, when the weather is crappy I think about selling the bike, but one nice day and a ride up through the mountains and I'm in heaven.

Ah-ha, finally a topic on this site that I know something about! Long range shooting, not so much (but learning), motorcycle riding, yes.

I am a Motorcycle Officer with the Baton Rouge Police Department and ride daily, alot of miles/hours daily. I can tell you with absolute certainty that riding is dangerous, but only as dangerous as you allow it to be. I stongly recommend taking a riding class. I rode from ages 18-30 with no formal training (self-taught) and never realized how poorly I was riding until I went through the motor school at our department (Northwestern cirriculum I think). After going through the school, I realized that all of the "close calls" that I had before should have never been even close calls, had I known how to avoid them.

People drive with their heads up their behinds daily and when you ride as much as we do you are bound to come across them. Someone mentioned earlier that it's not if you go down it's when. Not necessarily true with properly trained civilian riders. My job requires that I do things on a Harley that some people would never imagine was possible, thus making it inherently more risky. That's why we train, train, train.

When you ride it's your responsibility to keep you safe. I recommend that anyone who wants to ride to get trained, get a bike and ride.

If you take nothing else from this post, take this "Take a riding class, take a riding class, for the love of all that is Holy, take a riding class!!!". If I can be of any assistance, do not hesitate to PM or email me.

Is riding a motorcycles dangerous... yup, but so is driving a car. Been riding 46 years and feel just as safe riding as I do driving a car. You've been given lots of good advice. I'll add:

Know your bike -
how it handles 1 up, with passenger and/or luggage
practice panic stops at all speeds (FRONT brake is 70%)
get comfortable riding in the rain... it will rain on you

Maintain your bike -
tires, brakes and engine

Modern motorcycles are highly manuverable with a superior HP to weight ratio and fantastic braking capabilities. Master these attributes and they will save you butt.

craigp40,

If your dream is to have a motorcycle, why not make a family affair out of it and get your boys involved too? There is more than one way to skin a cat! Check out your area to see if there is a local GO Kart track near by. My reasoning being there's a good chance you can ride Mini motards aka. pit bikes there.

Like Switch suggested, how about a Super Motard for yourself and a mini motard for your sons. The way kids learn so quickly today you may have to chase them around for a change. Often times, the kids on the 50cc bikes smoke the adults. You can make it as competative as you want, or laid back. It might even encourage you to lose a few pounds, you know, to get that better % power to weight ratio!
wink.gif
Plus,the worst that can happen is you get a few bruises, your ego being one of them!
grin.gif

Good Luck!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQT6eVzocbQ&feature=related

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FFPJqT3dpo&feature=related

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHVtWEXHWJM&feature=related

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDonlSWC8-s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeUK6aOEJKo&feature=related

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkEABtvvgBc&feature=related

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOTsPX8FmW

<span style="font-weight: bold"> Used to own a motorcycle shop and went to many funerals of customers that I was close to. Only once that I can recall was the victim wearing a helmet...the rest never wore one even if they owned it. I can still remember one guy who gimped his way back into the store to thank me for insisting he buy a helmet after a deer ran out in front of his 883 (he sold me his mini uzi). If you get one, WEAR A HELMET!

Another thing...don't wreck with your girlfriend on the back. Your wife will most likely find out and its not pretty.(seen that one a few times).</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MC99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you take nothing else from this post, take this "Take a riding class, take a riding class, for the love of all that is Holy, take a riding class!!!". If I can be of any assistance, do not hesitate to PM or email me. </div></div>

I say the same thing - I was riding off and on for 25 years and decided to take the course to speed up getting the endorsement and it turns out I was able to identify some bad habits...

I ride in town and I move around in my lane, I use my horn if I even THINK someone is coming.

I ride somewhat paranoid, and most of all I pretend I am invisible, because I am....people want bikes BEHIND them a lot not in front of them (I dunno why)...

Take a course!!

I'm probably rehashing by this point, but. MSF, MSF, Basic, and then Experienced Riders Course, MSF, MSF!

Start with a non-sport bike; 250cc, 500cc are good choices, dual sports are even better. I have a BMW F650GS, 57mpg, ABS brakes, and $20/month insurance.

Safety Gear Safety Gear! I probably look like and electric peacock on the road with the reflective vests, orange, yellow white, etc. Wear a bright helmet, I use white, it's the most visible part of you. But wear everything helmet, jacket, pants, boots, and gloves.

But the absolute most important things, state of mind. You MUST always be thinking "what if." What if this guys pulls out, what if this guy swerves out of the slow lane and into my (fast) lane, what if this person changes lanes and doesn't look, etc. If you brain is not constantly observing, calculating, making odds, plotting and planning; you are WRONG. Luckily this becomes a force of habit after a while, but still requires maintenance.

Did I mention MSF?

I've been riding motorcycles for almost 40 years. 30 of them on the street. This is what I ride and have always ridden something similar on the street:
287lufn.jpg

I'm 47 and have crashed ONCE on the street. It was 2009 during Bike-week in Daytona. I was on ISB in front of the Daytona International Speedway when someone from the center lane decided to turn in front of me so he could drive through the tunnel and into the infield at the track. It was a slow speed accident and mostly the other guy's fault. I laid it down at maybe 10 MPH. But honestly, I wasn't paying close enough attention to what was going on around me so I have to take some of the blame. Point is, I think... and this is only my opinion... that the majority of motorcycle accidents could be avoided by the motorcyclist if he or she, A: Had a lot of time under their belt riding... or B: Had better instincts. Some people just don't react well under stress. Others haven't had enough time on a Motorcycle to really know the limitations and abilities of the bike and themselves.
My advice is if you're 39 and have never ridden on the street with the way driving can be today, don't get a motorcycle. When I ride on the Interstate (Which, by the way, is the safest place to ride) I can honestly say that fully 80% of the people driving 4-wheeled vehicles are distracted in some way. Texting, talking on the cell phone, adjusting something on the Dash etc... At 39 you're probably not able to deal with the sensory overload that can occur in a stressful situation on a Motorcycle... unless you've been riding for years and years. Sorry man!

PS: I <span style="font-weight: bold">ALWAYS</span> wear a racing-style Leather Jacket, gloves, long heavy pants, Riding Boots and a Full-Face Helmet. Anyone who doesn't wear protective gear when they ride is <span style="font-weight: bold">STUPID... PERIOD!!! </span>

If you decide you want to do it, take the safety course before you buy a bike. Listen to what the instructors tell you and ask ANY question you can think of. Most of them have been riding for awhile. They can also pass on a ton of knowledge.
Buy THE BEST helmet you can afford. When I had my accident I was wearing an ARAI they make AWESOME helmets. Fit is great (an i dont have a lil dome) very comfortable, well ventilated and great protection.
Wear the proper gear and dont forget gloves! My hands would've been tore up if i hadn't been wearing mine. An have heard of folks losing fingers.
Make sure you have good insurance. I have good insurance via work, but because of my riding I got extra just in case. When I had my accident..I made the duck (aflac) pay.
As was mentioned once you develop your skills you'll be more comfortable but is good to remember other drivers are idiots. You think they can't drive now you outta see how it is when your on two wheels.
I've ridden since 2001, however I sold my last bike last year more for family reasons than anything. I'm single but due to other concerns I felt it wiser to sell the bike. Which is fine because it funded my trip to Africa.
Take your time and ask lots of questions. One good thing about the "riding" community if you havent known before is that its quite close knit an always willing to help. See how many folks driving cars wave to each other that dont know each other as opposed to those on bikes....