• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting a Dog out of Iraq? Anyone dealt with this

Kells81

Slacker
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 15, 2006
    Granbury TX
    We have a dog in our camp that has been here since we got here. Well Shell is moving in and they are going to make us shoot him if we cannot get him out of here. We have tried taking him all the way to Basra with some of our workers and he is back within a day or two. Its been brought up that a dog can be gotten out of the country but its a bit of a PITA. Anyone know anything about this first hand? He is a very good, smart, well behaved dog and really helps to have around to help lift our spirits. Be a shame to see him get his lights put out.

Re: Getting a Dog out of Iraq? Anyone dealt with this

i know a LT of mine did it but it ended up costing him like 3-5k dollars or something rediculous like that.

http://www.spcai.org/baghdad-pups.html
    http://animal.rescueme.org/iq

I've had a few friends do that from Afghanistan. Yes, it's expensive and takes a lot of time. The biggest thing is to make sure the dog already has been spayed/neutered, is fully up to date on all shots and disease free, and has never been part of a pack or shown aggressive behavior. The dog will need to be examined in country, exported to holding country for up to 6 weeks of observation and quarantine, then it can be shipped to the US.

We had one guy go through the entire process and the dog came down with distemper that we believed it was infected with while in quarantine in Pakistan. That one sucked....

ETA: If time is really tight, your best bet may be to find him a new home on another camp.

New home on another camp is not going to work we are the only camp in the Majnoon Oil fields with Xpats on it currently. We are trying to see if we can get it up to our IZ villa. Also trying to see if we can get it to Ireland, England, or Scotland since we have a very mixed crew here. Seems whoever figures it out will get to keep the dog.

I don't have the info but I have seen a couple go state-side from Afghanistan. Cheap, nope not by a long shot. Look at it like this. The basic check-up locally is the cheap easy part then look at the cost of flying the dog cargo from where ever to the states. Look and see who flies in and out of your nearest major city (Basra or Bagdad). The flights are expensive, no two ways around it. I've flown dogs back and forth to the UK on a couple occasions and that was very expensive.

The last pup I saw go through (just over a week ago) was headed to California. She was flown in from Farah (I think), we kept her over night in our office and delivered to a guy outside the front gate the next morning. If I can get more details I'll pass them on. I know Afg and Irq are two different worlds but some details might help.

As far as sending the dog to the UK, good luck. That's a royal PITA. They have a 6 month quarantine deal. Trust me you don't want to get into that.........

It's tough. I do a lot of traveling around here in country and everyplace I go the folks on the FOBs have dogs (and cats) they are taking care of. I was just up to Bamiyan and the Kiwi's had the cutest puppy running around. I am sure someone will snatch him up. The last trip to Chagcharan the folks there had a dog put up behind my equipment / living container. He was already spoken for and headed home with a member of the Lithuanian security forces on their next rotation.

Todd

Have you considered home canning?

No, I'm not serious. When I lived in NJ, there was an isolation aand quarantine compound where animals being imported were housed for the requisite period.

CDC Animal Qurantine information.

Greg

A couple of guys have flown dogs out of Erbil through Vienna and it was cheap. All they had to do was get shots and pay the fee for the kennel. One guy had an additional expense because he left the dog in his hotel room for a few hours and when he came back the dog had trashed the room.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> http://www.spcai.org/baghdad-pups.html

</div></div>

I'd be will to donate a couple bucks toward a fund for this dog...I'm sure there are some others here that would too...If there are a solid 15K members here, say 5K regulars...we should be able to pull this off....What's the name of the dog?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> http://www.spcai.org/baghdad-pups.html

</div></div>

I'd be will to donate a couple bucks toward a fund for this dog...I'm sure there are some others here that would too...If there are a solid 15K members here, say 5K regulars...we should be able to pull this off....What's the name of the dog? </div></div>

Exactly. Set up a fund and I'll gladly donate.

Thanks for the help, I think we have something lined up for him to go to S. Africa. We call him Desert Dog btw, kinda fitting.

I kept "Bella" at my home for about 4 months or so, until the Soldier that called her "his dog" got back from Iraq. Bella was an Iraq dog that was caught in the vector control traps. Seems too me, we put up about $1000.00 on our end. The dog was part of my wife's unit, and as the unit commander, she wouldn't leave the dog behind. PM me and I will try and get you all the details.

We went through...http://www.spcai.org/baghdad-pups.html

name him GAP just kidding I will help if I can . The last thing I want to see is a sand box k-9 vet left in country behind.

i dont recall how they did it, but a bit south of you, at the ports in umm qasr, the brits got "sandbag" out of their. sandbag was cool as hell. google sandbag the dog, i think it realls how they got him home. sorry i cant help more

It's quite sad what ends up happening to a lot of the dogs over there just roaming...

Thanks for the help fella's, I think we have something figured out. BTW here is an action shot... well sorta

IMG00040-20110210-1616.jpg

I hope this happens for his sake and yours. I've got four dogs myself that I couldn't give up no matter what.

I have a friend who got his dog out of Najaf.
    If you need a contact I can send you his email.