• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report getting away from shooting groups

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
so like most new shooters I think I had become addicted to shooting groups. this past weekend I decided no more groups. here was my first attempt at cold bore dot shooting. definitely so room to improve my first shot on the center target was not pretty.
coldbore.jpg

65x284front.jpg

Re: getting away from shooting groups

100yds 140 berger VLD 52gr H4831sc

This does seem much more practical than groups. It would be fun to move the paper back a bit. Say 300 yards.

I'm hoping to go 200 300 and 500 this weekend if the snow holds out. I've also given up on spotting scopes. I just finished a portable wireless bridge so I can place a target cam down range and watch on my laptop or iphone at the bench

Where about in Michigan are you located? I think you're right about the group thing....the next time I'm out shooting, I will try this. Maybe even set targets up at different distances as well. Good shooting though. Keep up the good work.

I've been using the pages from a big calender, try to hit the centers of the 6,8,9,0 and whatever else. Cheap thrown away from work. I have some steel on order. Steel is allot more fun.

Do you load extra rounds of each load to re-zero from one lot to the next?

If ever there was a site that would have cold barrel ACCURACY down to a science, I would think it would be this one.

But inside, I suspect otherwise..

I re-read the post. After Chad's comment I though it was about load development. I see it is CBS instead.

I do load work ups before. I just get tired shooting groups all the time.

I've been going with the CBS - sometimes I take my rifle out and just shoot 1-3 rds and put it away...othertimes I just unload at 200 yards sh ooting various objects around the range.

I like unknown distance shooting now though - that makes it fun to guestimate the range correctly...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm hoping to go 200 300 and 500 this weekend if the snow holds out. I've also given up on spotting scopes. I just finished a portable wireless bridge so I can place a target cam down range and watch on my laptop or iphone at the bench </div></div>

Can you tell me about this wireless bridge thing? I was looking at spotting scopes and also said F-it.

Also would be interested in your wireless bridge. If you are using a laptop or iphone are you talking about using a network camera? The reason I ask is I've been thinking about the same thing but stretching it to a 1000 yds using 2.4 or 5.8ghz. Let me know.

I am using a network camera and a wireless brindge. At that range running the span off the network camera would be next to impossible. I'm using a router at the shooting bench and a wireless access point at the target. That forms the bridge. At the target I can either run cat5 to the camera, or use a wireless camera and relay of the access point. At the bench I have the router so again I can either run tethered with cat5 or wireless. The trick is with that distance you have to upgrade your antennas. I went over board and am using two directional antennas. They look like mini satelite dishes that measure 10" diameter. They can relay up to 5 miles. Then there is just the power issue depending on if your club has power running and available at the range or if you will need batteries.

Sounds Interesting. I have a Wireless router pyramid that accepts a cellular card that I hook up to a camera. Then I use our LE laptop that has an aircard and dials up the camera through the web. So I can view the camera anywhere in the world but the refresh rate is slow. More like getting pictures every 1/2 second which is good for target ID, but falls short of actual video. Plus the area we shoot gets spotty cellular coverage. We used this system for years on the job for surveillance but would like to design one just for the range. when I'm done I'll poste it on the web and let you know how it works.

What are you using to power your camera an router down range?

Put a 20 amphour battery in a pelican case with a 400 watt inverter and cigarette plug. Lasts several hours depending on equipment draw. I use battery power at both ends so I'm not dependant on ac power and totally mobile. I'll send pictures as soon as I figure a way to put the receiver end in its own pelican case.

Is this a private or public range? My concern is what's to keep some jerkoff from shooting a hole in your set up? They're out there - trust me-

This is a private range, and you certainly wouldn't want to leave anything up permanatly. But your right you have to becareful, we post signs all the time that read don't hang targets on the target supports and every weekend I go out there is some yahoo hanging a target right on the support next to the sign.