• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting Back Into Precision Shooting – Rifle Purchase Advice Needed

sqidd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2011
Michigan
I’m not a precision shooter like most of you here. But for a few years I played around with it and had a lot of fun. Because of life stuff I wasn’t shooting anymore so I sold my rifle to a friend 3-4 years ago. I haven’t shot since then.

I was shooting a POF .308 with all sorts of goodies. It was a pretty good rifle. But I made a bad choice when I bought it. What I really wanted was a bolt action. One of the reasons I didn’t mind selling it.

I’m getting back into shooting again and I want to pick up a bolt action rifle. But I don’t know anything about anything anymore as far as what is out there, what is good, what suits me, etc. I didn’t know much of anything when I was shooting. I haven’t been immersed in the gun community for a long time now. I’m hoping you guys can help me out.

Here is what I think I’m looking for:

-Bolt action

- Something reasonably “soft” shooting. Effective muzzle device? Break?

-Something quite trick

-Reliable

-Up to $4,500 not including glass

I know, I left that wide open for just about every rifle in existence, didn’t I? See why I don’t know where to start?

My shoulder is kind of a mess. I’ve torn it, separated it and dislocated it so many times I can’t remember. My POF was a non issue. And I have shot some bolt action stuff that wasn’t an issue. But I have also shot some bolt action stuff that was torture. I need something “soft shooting”.

I know I don’t need to spend $4,500. But I like really trick toys. If I’m buying a toy, it’s going to be trick, or I don’t want it.

Thanks for your input.

Well you can save a TON of money and grab one of the Curtis Axiom or Curtis Vector barreled actions from Keystone Accuracy with their sale running right now. Just need to add a trigger (Triggertech Diamond), brake (APA Fat Bastard) and drop it in your choice of stock or chassis. They can do all this for you if you want.

Curtis Axiom/Kreiger in your caliber choice $1595
Curtis DLC Vector/Kreiger in your caliber choice$1895

Add something like a MPA Chassis, trigger and brake and your under $3000 for the Axiom or just over $3000 for the Vector. You will have a full custom tack driver ready to go. They have a really fast turn around time, no long wait.

The answer to your question is not a .308, the answer is 6.5 CM. Two reasons: less recoil (better for your shoulder), and the 6.5 is ballistically superior.
For that kind of coin you can go top end custom rifle.
for 2000 bucks, you can get a PVA John Hancock.
Keep in mind, purchasing custom rifles takes time, sometimes 18+ months.

The answer to your question is not a .308, the answer is 6.5 CM. Two reasons: less recoil (better for your shoulder), and the 6.5 is ballistically superior.
For that kind of coin you can go top end custom rifle.
for 2000 bucks, you can get a PVA John Hancock.
Keep in mind, purchasing custom rifles takes time, sometimes 18+ months.

Not everyone has a crazy lead time. Keystone has been shipping barreled actions in 2 weeks or less

Not everyone has a crazy lead time. Keystone has been shipping barreled actions in 2 weeks or less
True, but that isn't a full custom rifle, this forum, as well as many others are full of posts that say "I ordered a rifle from so and so, it's been 14, 16, 18 months etc... and I don't have my rifle yet".

True, but that isn't a full custom rifle, this forum, as well as many others are full of posts that say "I ordered a rifle from so and so, it's been 14, 16, 18 months etc... and I don't have my rifle yet".

How is it not a full custom rifle? Enlighten me... the Hancock is production rifle not a full custom rifle.

Dittos on a 6.5 chambering vs the 308. The Keystone deal looks like a good way to go, but my preference would be to go with a conventional stock - chassis rigs don't do much for me. That would entail a wait for a stock, unless you can find what you want from one of many resale shops that keep McM & Manners in stock. Or, if you're going with a M700 SA clone action, Bell & Carlson's #2015 stock is a good choice, with bottom inlet for B-O M5 & similar DBMs. And I fully agree about going with a TT Diamond trigger - have put a couple of them on my V-22 precision 22RF rifles, and like them so much that I've considered selling a few of the Jewell HVR triggers I have on Bighorn comp rifles & replacing them with the Diamond.

Reactions: sqidd
As others have said:
- AIAT (right at your budget, call EuroOptic and Mile High for quotes, it's likely to be less than the advertised price)
- 6.5 Creedmoor (less recoil on your shoulder, superior ballistics, realistic 2500+ round barrel life)
- Although I prefer suppressed, there are a lot of options for effective muzzle brakes, including the "magnum" brakes like the Area 419 Sidewinder

Unless you have 5,000 rounds of 308 FGMM lying around, go with the 6.5 Creed and never look back. Or buy an AT with the 308 barrel, and buy a 6.5 or 6 barrel shortly after you realize 308 wasn't the way to go :sneaky:

EuroOptic AIAT --> https://www.eurooptic.com/Accuracy-...4-Threaded-Folding-Stock-Sage-Green-Rifl.aspx

AI thread on Snipers Hide --> https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/accuracy-international-picture-thread.6252614/

Edited to add: Call up EuroOptic or Mile High, and even with the craziness leading up to SHOT Show I bet you can have an AIAT physically in your hands in a week.

How is it not a full custom rifle? Enlighten me... the Hancock is production rifle not a full custom rifle.
It doesn't do you much good without a stock or chassis and a trigger.
A true custom rifle is built from the ground up, including bedding the action (if required) etc...
I agree the Hancock is NOT custom.

It doesn't do you much good without a stock or chassis and a trigger.
A true custom rifle is built from the ground up, including bedding the action (if required) etc...
I agree the Hancock is NOT custom.

If you read my post I stated they can provide any parts you want, I just suggested the MPA. Keystone does everything from custom made stocks to chassis, bedding, etc. You cant beat the barreled action price to start.

AI AT all the way, it’s a system designed to work together and it’s built like a tank. 6.5 Creedmoore is also way cheaper for match ammo vs a .308 to add to the advantages already mentioned above.

Give Mike at Mile High Shooting a call and talk the AI over with him, I think they have some large firing pin versions for $3400ish left.

Jake

Last edited:
I'd give GA Precision a call and talk to Ken. Tell him what you're interested in, and he can help you spec out a rifle that will be set up just for you. Rifles like AIs are great, but IMO nothing beats a rifle tailored to your wants and needs - and you certainly have the budget for it.

I will second the suggestion of 6.5 Creedmoor, as well, for the exact reasons listed above. For recoil control, a heavier rifle will help, especially paired with a good brake. I'd suggest either an Area 419 Sidewinder or an APA Gen2 Fat Bastard.

Rifles like AIs are great, but IMO nothing beats a rifle tailored to your wants and needs - and you certainly have the budget for it.
I'll push back a bit on this from personal experience. I have a full custom Mausingfield based rifle and it's sitting in my safe now because my AT is just everything I want in a rifle. I'd especially caution not to go custom to start with because honestly you might not even know exactly what you want in a custom rifle. If you want a custom rifle down the line after using the AIAT (unlikely) then it has great resale value and will be bought by someone in the PX very shortly. Trying to get anything close to good value while reselling a custom is an exercise in frustration.

I'll push back a bit on this from personal experience. I have a full custom Mausingfield based rifle and it's sitting in my safe now because my AT is just everything I want in a rifle. I'd especially caution not to go custom to start with because honestly you might not even know exactly what you want in a custom rifle. If you want a custom rifle down the line after using the AIAT (unlikely) then it has great resale value and will be bought by someone in the PX very shortly. Trying to get anything close to good value while reselling a custom is an exercise in frustration.

I will say the reverse is also true - there's no guarantee that OP would find himself comfortable or satisfied with an AT, either. If you just pick parts based on something looking cool or because other people use it, then yeah - a custom can be disappointing. There's a reason I suggested OP specifically talk to Ken at GAP - he's been doing this for a WHILE, and has more than enough knowledge to help someone make sound decisions about what will work for them in a new bolt gun.

Wow! Lot's to digest. Thanks for the replies guys.

"Custom" never entered my mind when I posted this morning. It's not exactly something I want to get into. I do custom for a living and one of my other hobbies is custom too. I REALLY don't want to become an expert in something else. Which I would end up doing if I went custom.

6.5CM really seems like the way to go. That right there was probably the #1 thing I needed to know.

The AI AT looks like it may be my thing. I'm still going to look into the custom options though. I don't need to buy anything in the next 10min. I have time to make an informed choice.

I did do a some Google after starting this thread to see what was out there. What do you guys think of the following:

-McMillan TAC308 (not 6.5CM)
TAC308

-JP MR10 (not 6.5CM)
JP MR10

-Barrett MRAD. A bit more than I was looking to spend. But.......
MRAD

Thanks guys!

Another plus for the AI, if you didn't already know, is that all the post-2014 AT's and AX's are switch barrel, a 4mm allen wrench is all you need to change the barrels on them if the bolt face is correct for the caliber you're wanting. So you could get a .308 and a 6.5mm barrel if you wanted to, Mile High has the barrels as well as a lot of other smiths in the site can make an AI barrel to whatever specs you'd like.

Damn, I sound like a fanboy right now, lol. I've been looking into what gun I want next as well and the AI is WAYYYY out in front for me after reading up on it.

Jake

As much as I agree the AI is a great gun, my team has several of them and I have shot a few of them, they are not my style. I don’t like the feel. But I would take one. Spending my money, I would grab an Impact Precision build. Yes I am biased. It feels better to me.

You can do a “custom” build and not lift a finger or have to do much research. There are a few action makers that are good to go, same with triggers, barrels, and stocks.

Biggest thing it sounds like to me is that you need to get behind a few different guns and get a sense of what you do and don’t like. 100 hours in online research is worth about an hour of trigger time.

The McMillan seems a bit proud at nearly $5k for that build. Never seen the JP and very few use the Barrett for PRS style shooting. There’s other “factory” rifles out there, depending on your definition. Accuracy International, Desert Tech, Sako TRG, KRG Sotic, Tikka T3, etc. I hate to say “just pick one” since you’re willing to spend lots of money, but TBH it’s probably going to be hard to get behind 10 different rifles long enough to know exactly what works for you.

I'd suggest looking into a Sako TRG or Tikka Tac A1. As previously mentioned a ton of people are shooting 6.5CM. A buddy just got a Tikka CTR in 6.5 with a 24" barrel on it and it's a tack driver.

As much as I agree the AI is a great gun, my team has several of them and I have shot a few of them, they are not my style. I don’t like the feel. But I would take one. Spending my money, I would grab an Impact Precision build. Yes I am biased. It feels better to me.

That's the tough one right? There is a lot of stuff that works great. But what works great for you/me? When I was racing motorcycles I got along better with Ducati and Suzuki. I liked how their chassis felt. I have a really good feel for what pistols work for me. I have no idea what I like in rifles. I haven't shot enough of them. And I'm not a good enough shooter. I think I'm going to have to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Reactions: Ripdog28
You can do a “custom” build and not lift a finger or have to do much research. There are a few action makers that are good to go, same with triggers, barrels, and stocks.

Biggest thing it sounds like to me is that you need to get behind a few different guns and get a sense of what you do and don’t like. 100 hours in online research is worth about an hour of trigger time.

The McMillan seems a bit proud at nearly $5k for that build. Never seen the JP and very few use the Barrett for PRS style shooting. There’s other “factory” rifles out there, depending on your definition. Accuracy International, Desert Tech, Sako TRG, KRG Sotic, Tikka T3, etc. I hate to say “just pick one” since you’re willing to spend lots of money, but TBH it’s probably going to be hard to get behind 10 different rifles long enough to know exactly what works for you.

I agree. I would love to get behind a bunch of rifles and just see what feels right. I'm not sure how I can pull that off though.

AI AT all the way, it’s a system designed to work together and it’s built like a tank. 6.5 Creedmoore is also way cheaper for match ammo vs a .308 to add to the advantages already mentioned above.

Give Mike at Mike High Shooting a call and talk the AI over with him, I think they have some large firing pin versions for $3400ish left.

Jake

Where are you finding 6.5 ammo cheaper than .308? Good ammo that is, not shit ammo.

Good 6.5 is >$1/rnd and .308 is <$1/rnd

Get the AT with 6.5 and .308 barrels. You can get pretty close with a $4500 budget.

Problem solved

Get the AT with 6.5 and .308 barrels. You can get pretty close with a $4500 budget.

Problem solved

I would mostly agree. With your shoulder I would go with 6.5CM and instead on the extra barrel have the AT converted to the AX buttstock.

Yes I’m a fanboy. But I’ve never shot a rifle that felt like an extension of my body until I fitted the AX stock to my AT. The stock AT was close but the AX stock takes the cake.

Where are you finding 6.5 ammo cheaper than .308? Good ammo that is, not shit ammo.

I'm not going to say 6.5 is cheaper (it's just not) but adding "good" as a criteria levels the playing field from what I see- there's cheaper cheap 308 than 6.5CM, but when you get into match ammo they're damn close on cost.

I bought a .308, thinking it'd be cheaper to shoot, easier to get off the shelf ammo, and it could share ammo with the 308 gas gun I'm wanting to buy. Then got to realizing A) by the time you get 308 match ammo that'll get to 800+yd it probably won't fit in a gas gun mag, B) even if it does, even reloading it'll be expensive enough you won't want to shoot it in a gas gun unless you're also going for extreme accuracy there too, and C) it gives up so much in ballistics 6.5CM you end up compromising, spending more and limiting choices in other gear to make it work for long range, and you can probably end up spending more than 6.5 to reload it.

Yay for the fact that I bought a T3 Lite, so I need to swap barrels anyway, and didn't really invest in anything 308 specific besides some ammo. I've pretty well decided that 6.5 is more pragmatic for a range toy, since trying to share ammo with other rifles for other purposes is less than practical, so I'll be buying that new barrel in Creedmoor.

I would mostly agree. With your shoulder I would go with 6.5CM and instead on the extra barrel have the AT converted to the AX buttstock.

Yes I’m a fanboy. But I’ve never shot a rifle that felt like an extension of my body until I fitted the AX stock to my AT. The stock AT was close but the AX stock takes the cake.

Is this the stock you're talking about that you added to your AI AT?
AX Stock

I really like the idea of having the flexibility to shoot 6.5 and .308.

Thanks for your help!

Give Mike at Mike High Shooting a call and talk the AI over with him, I think they have some large firing pin versions for $3400ish left.

Jake

Is it Mike at Mile High Shooting? I'm guessing yes.

Mile High Shooting

Thanks!

Reactions: Jakerz
I had one of these bi pods on my POF and really liked it. I can't remember who makes it though. Who does? Thanks!
IMG_4088.jpg

No reason to piss money away on an AT. Waste of money unless you have an ASI of P.

The real question should be what glass are you going to buy. A $2000 rifle with a $4500 scope will smoke a $4500 rifle with a $2000 scope.

Glass is where you start because it's more likely you change rifles than optics, especially if you start at the top end and get it right early. Guys are still shooting 10+ year old S&Bs that have been through 2 3 4 or more rifles.

My recommendation without knowing your details would be:

TT 5-25 with XR gen 3
Choice of : John Hancock, havok , bergera premier, Tikka tac all in 6.5CM.

Shoot a barrel or two out to see if you like the hobby. If not your TT and rifle will hold 90% of their value and will be an easy sell. You can always buy more gun down the road but none of those choices will hold you back.

Reactions: Rant Durden
No reason to piss money away on an AT. Waste of money unless you have an ASI of P.

The real question should be what glass are you going to buy. A $2000 rifle with a $4500 scope will smoke a $4500 rifle with a $2000 scope.

Glass is where you start because it's more likely you change rifles than optics, especially if you start at the top end and get it right early. Guys are still shooting 10+ year old S&Bs that have been through 2 3 4 or more rifles.

My recommendation without knowing your details would be:

TT 5-25 with XR gen 3
Choice of : John Hancock, havok , bergera premier, Tikka tac all in 6.5CM.

Shoot a barrel or two out to see if you like the hobby. If not your TT and rifle will hold 90% of their value and will be an easy sell. You can always buy more gun down the road but none of those choices will hold you back.
In general, I like the idea of putting more money into the scope than the gun. But I just don't see someone with a $4500 rifle budget cheaping out on a scope. A $2500 scope will not hold anyone back. Those S&Bs you talked about can be had at that price.

Reactions: sqidd and Jakerz
I agree, get the AI and throw a Gen II Razor on it and you have a bulletproof setup, or you can find a Schmidt PMII 5-25 for not much more, you can’t tell me that the TT will put either of those to shame lol.

Jake

Although I much prefer a custom rifle built to my specs over an AI, it would be really hard to go wrong with an AI for your first rifle.

Hard to spec a rifle if you don't really know what you want. The AI is a "one size fits most" type rifle.

I went with the 3-18 gen 2 razor. I plan to upgrade the scope at some point. But it’s not a rush.

My ideal glass would be a 3-27 S&B PMII with 34mils of elevation. I’m not sure I could ever justify the coin for one though. I most likely will end up with a 3-20 PMII

I like to have 3x or 4x on the bottom end. My AT is my only centerfire bolt gun and it pulls double duty for hunting.

Attachments

• 2B0CE995-1350-46E7-84F2-210233A87A97.jpeg
    2B0CE995-1350-46E7-84F2-210233A87A97.jpeg
    599 KB · Views: 28
I never got around to getting really good glass for my POF. I never looked that hard into it. With anything there is a point of diminishing returns. Where is that range with a scope? How much better is a $2500 unit than a $1500 unit? How much better is a $3500 unit than a $2500 unit. How much better is a $4500 unit than a $3500 unit?

I can drop big coin on a scope. I'd like to know why I am though. What will an "incredible" scope do for me over a "really nice" scope?

Thanks!

As much as I'm digging all these recommendations, if it were me, I'd wait another couple weeks for Shot to see what will be released. Might be able to pick-up a damn near new, but used rifle and optic at a bargain price.

If you don't want to wait, you can get an AI AT or pre-14 AI AX rifle in the $4k range here in the exchange, and even snag a used 6.5 CM barrel and optic as well.

What's good ammo? 168/175 gmm smk are not what I would consider good when compared to a premium bullet like Berger or eld. Price out .308 with real projos and 6.5 is cheaper.
I agree, get the AI and throw a Gen II Razor on it and you have a bulletproof setup, or you can find a Schmidt PMII 5-25 for not much more, you can’t tell me that the TT will put either of those to shame lol.

Jake

If you actually owned and shot all 3, you would know the difference. The TT is in another league. You can resolute shit that no sb or vortex can at range. The turrets are also unparreled. Yeah it's expensive but it's hands down the best long range tactical optic on the market.

I never got around to getting really good glass for my POF. I never looked that hard into it. With anything there is a point of diminishing returns. Where is that range with a scope? How much better is a $2500 unit than a $1500 unit? How much better is a $3500 unit than a $2500 unit. How much better is a $4500 unit than a $3500 unit?

I can drop big coin on a scope. I'd like to know why I am though. What will an "incredible" scope do for me over a "really nice" scope?

Thanks!
When it comes to glass , with few exceptions, you get what you pay for. There is diminishing returns in everything but we aren't all shooting savages with vortex vipers either.

An incredible scope will actually work. It will track true. It will provide an ease of use. Easy to get behind, easy to look through without getting eye fatigue. The turrets will feel great. You will be able to see things that you normally wouldn't. You can shoot on a lower power and gain fov to get the same resolution you may need a higher power with another optic. It will hold it's value. You can trust your life ( or hunt or competition) to it. It's an increased confidence in your gear. And it's just awesome to have something that kicks ass in every feature and knowing you have the best. You wont be asking yourself " should I buy something else...".

Rifles are much more of a comodity than glass. Spend the money on glass first and you will be way happier in the end.

What's good ammo? 168/175 gmm smk are not what I would consider good when compared to a premium bullet like Berger or eld. Price out .308 with real projos and 6.5 is cheaper.

If you actually owned and shot all 3, you would know the difference. The TT is in another league. You can resolute shit that no sb or vortex can at range. The turrets are also unparreled. Yeah it's expensive but it's hands down the best long range tactical optic on the market.

I've never seen the TT in person, and have no doubt that its "better" than the others mentioned but telling someone that a TT is going to make them shoot better than a Schmidt Bender is a little far-fetched don't ya think? There's a reason the PMII 5-25 was/is the standard everyone is comparing themselves too, lol

Glass is VERY subjective, any high end optic from say: Vortex (razor line), Nightforce, Schmidt Bender, Tangent Theta, and Kahles is 9 times out of 10 going to track well.

Jake

An incredible scope will actually work. It will track true. It will provide an ease of use. Easy to get behind, easy to look through without getting eye fatigue. The turrets will feel great. You will be able to see things that you normally wouldn't. You can shoot on a lower power and gain fov to get the same resolution you may need a higher power with another optic. It will hold it's value. You can trust your life ( or hunt or competition) to it. It's an increased confidence in your gear. And it's just awesome to have something that kicks ass in every feature and knowing you have the best. You wont be asking yourself " should I buy something else...".

I hear this a lot but haven't experienced it so I'm asking the question as I too am getting into precision rifle shooting.

Are you saying the TT scopes are the only scopes that meet the above description? I have other hobbies that are expensive and am quite aware of "diminishing returns". For example, I bow hunt. If you talk to guys that buy the newest $1200 bow every year, they'll tell you that unless you too do this, you won't harvest deer! (Obviously this is an exaggeration, but, just to make a point). Then there's the guy with a 15 year old compound bow that kills deer dead every year, then there are the majority of us in the middle. 5 years ago I was the guy with the "bow that everyone had to have". I still have it, hunt with it, and kill deer just fine. I'm just as comfy etc... behind it just like a lot of the new ones and I don't notice the new ones being any "better" at anything, just different.

Back onto scopes. Are the TT scopes that much better than the S&B, Kahles, Nightforce, AMG and Razor Gen 2 Vortex? Are the brands I mentioned going to let us down and not track true? Just curious as again, I'm in the beginning stages and haven't experienced what you have.

Thanks for your reply.

I bow hunt too. In fact headed to the range right now.

The comparison is spot Hogg hog father to trophy ridge. QAD ultra to a whisker biscut. Mathews z3 to a hoyty carbon rx3.

A bow today is light years ahead of one from 15 years ago. They damn things practically shoot themselves.

The TT is like the best bow setup money can buy. Can you kill with lessor equipment? Sure.

Some people like to have the best. That difference may be the difference between a heart shot and a shoulder hit on a bull elk at 60 yards. One will drop em and one you will be taking a hiking adventure to find.

Ok done with the analogies. It's hard to compare them on a linear basis. Vortex and some of the others deffinatley provide a better value, but diminishing returns always cost money. To go from 25 to 90% may cost as much to go from 90% to 99%. TT is the 99%.

Thanks!

Just from doing a lot of looking (I am looking at a tier just below you, 1500-2200) I feel like most premium stuff starts at 2500. That gets you good glass, reliable tracking, and a lots of choices and options. Nightforce ATACR, SB 5-25, etc is there for that money, and you go up from there. Id say 2500 would be the min I would spend on an unlimited budget rifle build. more money gets you better glass and less compromises from there.