• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting Back Into Precision Shooting – Rifle Purchase Advice Needed

As much as I'm digging all these recommendations, if it were me, I'd wait another couple weeks for Shot to see what will be released. Might be able to pick-up a damn near new, but used rifle and optic at a bargain price.

If you don't want to wait, you can get an AI AT or pre-14 AI AX rifle in the $4k range here in the exchange, and even snag a used 6.5 CM barrel and optic as well.

I'm not in a hurry.(y)

Shit's getting deep in here ???

I figured the scope thing would make some drama.;)

There are certain subjects ion every segment that really spark controversy. I'm in the forged induction go fast car parts manufacturing business. The big one in my biz is Positive displacement blower vs Centrifugal blower vs turbo argument. It's never ending, and it gets heated (not me though, I don't play those games). What's funny is there is no right answer. And there is no wrong answer. It all comes down to what is the best tool for the job. The "job" differing wildly depending on how the car is used, budget, upkeep, etc. You will still get a lot of people that will go to the wall arguing that their favorite is the best at everything all the time.

Reactions: AverageGrunt
Get something you can switch barrels with ease. 223 with better bc's will get you a lot further than a guy thinks. While your having cheap fun shooting 223 get a different barrel after some research. What you save by shooting 223 for practice you can justify any optic you want.

(308) gives up so much in ballistics 6.5CM you end up compromising, spending more and limiting choices in other gear to make it work for long range, and you can probably end up spending more than 6.5 to reload it.

Is there a ballistics difference between 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 Winchester? Yes there is.

Is it as extreme as you make it sound? Not until you push past 1000 yards.

you end up compromising, spending more and limiting choices in other gear to make it work for long range
False

you can probably end up spending more than 6.5 to reload it
Complete bullshit

My opinion - if you love the 308 and are already set up with bullets/powder/dies/etc or other guns in that caliber, then it's up to you on whether the advantages of 6.5 are worth it. If you're starting from scratch either way, there really isn't any good reason to pick 308 instead of 6.5.

I was injured last year and have been out. Will need a couple more months to begin to try to train back up. At 65.
Unlike you I still have a rig. Well dated and used 243 with a SFP 15x and a Harris bipod.
Reading your post I immediately thought weight of gear management.
Ammo weight, rifle weight, recoil. Six mm helps me with ALL of my handicaps.

Reactions: sqidd
I was injured last year and have been out. Will need a couple more months to begin to try to train back up. At 65.
Unlike you I still have a rig. Well dated and used 243 with a SFP 15x and a Harris bipod.
Reading your post I immediately thought weight of gear management.
Ammo weight, rifle weight, recoil. Six mm helps me with ALL of my handicaps.

I'm not concerned about equipment weight etc. After I stopped racing Superbike I took a few years off, got a bit fat and then decided to get in the gym to re-hab all my injuries from racing. Like with most things I do, I went overboard. In 4yrs I dropped 60lb of fat and added 50lb of muscle. At 47yrs old I'm in killer shape. 190lb, 9-10% body fat, 405 squat, 505 deadlift and a 305 bench. I can also run wide open on a mountain bike for 1:45 at a 160bph average heart rate. Cardio is excellent. I can haul some gear.:)

I'm not concerned about equipment weight etc. After I stopped racing Superbike I took a few years off, got a bit fat and then decided to get in the gym to re-hab all my injuries from racing. Like with most things I do, I went overboard. In 4yrs I dropped 60lb of fat and added 50lb of muscle. At 47yrs old I'm in killer shape. 190lb, 9-10% body fat, 405 squat, 505 deadlift and a 305 bench. I can also run wide open on a mountain bike for 1:45 at a 160bph average heart rate. Cardio is excellent. I can haul some gear.:)
What do you think about quigley ford?

Reactions: Bkultra