• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting back into reloading 223 rem. Need some thoughts

Scotts556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2009
Texas
So it’s been awhile since I have loaded 223 Remington and google is full of shit like usual so wanted to bounce some ideas off y’all for recommendations.

I just built a 16 inch precision AR and am trying the 69 grain SMK and the 73 grain ELD-M.

Planning on trying the following powders

H4895
Benchmark
8208 XBR
Varget
MAYBE CFE 223

Anything I missed? Would prefer to stick with a Hodgdon extreme powder or something known to not be temp sensitive.

Scott

I really like CFE223 and 8208XBR.

Benchmark is excellent for 60 grains and lighter.

8208 is excellent for 69 through 77’s.
CFE223 flows like water(it’s like a new W748) and I really liked it for 55 through 69’s, I tried it with heavies but I like 8208 more for that purpose.

I find Varget kinda bulky for AR mag constrictions but awesome in bolt guns.

One of the reasons I like 8208 is it’s temp stability.

H4895 and 75 eld’s. They are loaded on a Dillon using a Dillon powder measure and they are taken out to 9mm regularly out of a bolt gun. Very accurate.

If I'm honest... I prefer a non tipped bullet in an AR. Or if you go tipped, go with something in the low 60s or 50s weight range. Magazine feeding and getting close to the lands can be one of those times where you'll have to pick only one. Just my 2 cents. I like 8202 and IMR 4064. I like those because I can use em in 223 and 308

8208 meters pretty well. I am not saying AR-comp wont meter better, but 8208 meters pretty well. It works great with 50-77 and probably the heavier bullets, too. I have not tried it with anything heavier than 77.

I would just grab the 8208, if you can find it. If it doesn't shoot well, I would try some Varget. I used to use Varget as my go to, but switched to 8208 because it meters much better. I don't want to charge master 4 or 500 223s at a time. 8208 is also better with the lighter bullets. I like the prairie dog flop factor of the 50-55 class stuff.

Last edited:
For my AR I'ver used Varget and 8208 with both 69 and 77 SMK with good results. Since I shoot very high volume and don't want to weigh each each charge, I've settled on 8208 since it seems to meter better.

Here is a velocity workup I did with Varget for the 69 SMKs out of a 16" AR. I started to see pressure signs right above 25g loaded @ mag length with Sig brass. About 2700 f/s is what I can safely get using Varget. This is at 1,000 ft above sea level at 60 degrees F using Lee FCD.

Attachments

• 69 SMK velocity workup.png
    69 SMK velocity workup.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 42
8208xbr
AR-Comp
77 gr SMK

if that won't shoot with one of those two powders, something is generally wrong.

thanks again for recommending a bullet I have zero plans on using

thanks again for being a total douche.

Btw, you said TRYING, not locked in, not ever gonna try any other bullet but those, but please go ahead and snap at people trying to help you. PLUS you said " anything I missed?"

the two listed powders will work with the listed weight range, asshole.

• Haha
Reactions: never_summer
77 SMK (followed closely by the 69 SMK) is the best shooting bullet in all of my 223s.
24.0 Varget.

Reactions: needham
Depending on the gun bolt/semi and disipline. 23-24g IMR8208 or 24-25g TAC or 25-26g RE15 or 24-25 Varget all work equally well for me behind a 69 SMK or Nosler CC. One thing you haven't mentioned is how you intend to load, progressive or single stage. Are you OK with loading long and single feeding?

8208 meters pretty well. I am not saying AR-comp wont meter better, but 8208 meters pretty well. It works great with 50-77 and probably the heavier bullets, too. I have not tried it with anything heavier than 77.

I would just grab the 8208, if you can find it. If it doesn't shoot well, I would try some Varget. I used to use Varget as my go to, but switched to 8208 because it meters much better. I don't want to charge master 4 or 500 223s at a time. 8208 is also better with the lighter bullets. I like the prairie dog flop factor of the 50-55 class stuff.
Getting ready to load up a bunch of 556 with CFE 223 for Hornady 55gr SPs using 1x fired LC brass. You have a good load to start with that worked well for you?

I had terrible luck with the 73 eld. I tried AR comp, TAC, 8208, CFE223, BLC2, and Varget. Accuracy was best with Varget but velocity wasn't great.

Have good luck with H4895 and 73 ELD-M here. Had a BA barrel that never shot any of the above well, except the 73. Switched barrels to a WOA and it really likes the load. Pretty tolerant. Just picked up some XBR and haven't played with it yet, so curious to hear what yo come up with. I think the ELD-M may have an edge on the 69 SMK, but thats just my thought.

I have been getting good results with the 69 smk and R15, varget was better but it is non existant in my area, also the Rr15 meters better through the Dillon.

Reactions: Boxerglocker
All-time favorite 556 load: 69 smk over 24.4gr pf 8208 XBR. 2812 fps out of a 16" M4. Deadly accurate!

Over max charge? Yes and never had a problem.