• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Getting into drones

TxWelder35

WELDERAT0R
Minuteman
  • Oct 17, 2018
    DFW
    Looking to get a thermal drone down the line. I want to get something cheaper to practice with and familiarize myself with them before I start flying around a $7000 toy.

I’m staying away from DJI for known Chinese spyware.

Looking at Autel drones. Was thinking of starting with the Evo nano+ then upgrade the evo dual 640T which can be optioned with a FLIR sensor.

Any opinions from the hive mind?

Reactions: BurtG
    Great option to go with the Nano then move into the EVO.

Give me a haller if you want to fly my EVO II 640T. They’re harder to crash than you think as long as you follow a few simple rules.

Don’t fly over water
    Get your drone home when you hit 25% battery
    Be cognizant if wind speeds, direction, and how far you are from take off sight
    Always have a plan for a crash landing area
    Stay away from trees if you’re in a mode that ignores the sensors

I've been wanting one too. Buddy at work let me play with a Tello. It was pretty cool to be able to take video and pictures of my hunting and shooting areas. pretty cool starter drone but outgrew it in about a half hour or so. Really easy to fly, used an app on your phone.
    EXO has some that fly 5 miles. Also they had a deal a week or so ago if you bought one of the big ones you got the little one free. The little one looks similar to the Tello. I flew it in the house and scared the hell ou of the dogs.

@TheHebrewHammer and @TheHorta they both have experience also. I'm flying a different type of quad (FPV stuff since I am too poor to fly).
    What RX protocol does Autel use? I wonder how hard it would be to upgrade to Express LRS?

I've been wanting one too. Buddy at work let me play with a Tello. It was pretty cool to be able to take video and pictures of my hunting and shooting areas. pretty cool starter drone but outgrew it in about a half hour or so. Really easy to fly, used an app on your phone.
    EXO has some that fly 5 miles. Also they had a deal a week or so ago if you bought one of the big ones you got the little one free. The little one looks similar to the Tello. I flew it in the house and scared the hell ou of the dogs.

Look at the details with a drone that flies out of operator eyesight. Technically, you are supposed to have a ham radio license to do that. And technically, you are supposed to register those with the FAA as well, even for private use. Same goes for any of the ones that use FPV cameras and transmit to the goggles.

Not saying I agree, just saying what a headache waiting to happen IF the faa does step in.

I’ve got three drones now, and have flown RC aircraft for over 10 years. I’ve had a few registered with the faa for.

Look at the details with a drone that flies out of operator eyesight. Technically, you are supposed to have a ham radio license to do that. And technically, you are supposed to register those with the FAA as well, even for private use. Same goes for any of the ones that use FPV cameras and transmit to the goggles.

Not saying I agree, just saying what a headache waiting to happen IF the faa does step in.

I’ve got three drones now, and have flown RC aircraft for over 10 years. I’ve had a few registered with the faa for.
    I believe the HAM requirement is if you exceed a certain wattage at specific bands, but I could be wrong.

Legal drone flying has gotten a LOT more complex with RID not enacted and other requirements. I believe you are restricted to below 400ft and must maintain line of sight to legally fly. Us FPV people are pretty much screwed unless we have spotters or are flying below 250 grams. FAA 107 really put a hamstring in the fun and your Autel's and DJI's will now all have RID as per law. https://www.faa.gov/uas

Reactions: roostercogburn98
    Also, you need to know the areas that you are flying in. There is a good app called B4UFLY, it warn you of restrictions that could cost you a lot!

Reactions: lariat
    Spent a lot of money on a thermal drone.... a good thermal scanner would have worked just as well for me. I would 100% recommended trying one before buying on a night hunt. I was treated terribly by Autel customer service after some issues with the drone and I would rather drag my balls through a football field of broken glass than spend another penny with that company. I had the 640T by the way.

I make drones for LE and others. I train at least a shop floor hand every year so that they know what they are making and How it applies to them.

If you want to start cheap and not worry too much about crashing (it’s going to happen many times), try a racing drone that has a tough frame so that all you are replacing is the rotors. After that you can go up and get an Autel or the brand that meets your needs.

Reactions: stefan73
    I make drones for LE and others. I train at least a shop floor hand every year so that they know what they are making and How it applies to them.

If you want to start cheap and not worry too much about crashing (it’s going to happen many times), try a racing drone that has a tough frame so that all you are replacing is the rotors. After that you can go up and get an Autel or the brand that meets your needs.
    I'm messing with a freestyle and an LR quad. Already replaced a lot of parts, motors, props, RX, ESC and FC. Looks like I might have totaled a VTX, lots of arms and other components (I'm also whipping in and out of trees and stuff, I use the trees like a slalom racetrack).

I'm messing with a freestyle and an LR quad. Already replaced a lot of parts, motors, props, RX, ESC and FC. Looks like I might have totaled a VTX, lots of arms and other components (I'm also whipping in and out of trees and stuff, I use the trees like a slalom racetrack).
    I slammed my mach25 into the ground fairly hard a while back. Still haven’t rebuilt it

It happens. Those who get into the drone world and think they wont continue to spend cash are going to be severely disappointed. If you reload and have drones you need two benches and two budgets, or the reloading bench will get even more cluttered.

Last edited:
    It happens. Those who get into the drone world and think they wont continue to spend cash are going to be severely disappointed. If you reload and have drones you need two benches and two budgets, or the reloading bench will get even more cluttered.
    So true!!!

Been flying a DJI MAvic for about three years now purely for utilitarian purposes. Fly my jobsite weekly and provides a good overview and upload to a sharing site for the stakeholders viewing. Owners like it. Flown it inside some projects when we needed a perspective shot and was no other way of taking it. Biggest issue is sucking up dust into the cooling fan and have had to replace it at least once. Lot of restrictive airspace in our area and need to pay attention on where you fly it.

Been flying a DJI MAvic for about three years now purely for utilitarian purposes. Fly my jobsite weekly and provides a good overview and upload to a sharing site for the stakeholders viewing. Owners like it. Flown it inside some projects when we needed a perspective shot and was no other way of taking it. Biggest issue is sucking up dust into the cooling fan and have had to replace it at least once. Lot of restrictive airspace in our area and need to pay attention on where you fly it.
    Not gonna lie, the cameras on their drones are very good. Its the sending of all flight info (pics included) back to China that is a problem, along with not being ruggedized.

I don't know about other states, but in CO it is illegal to do air surveillance of a hunting area within 24 or 48 hours of hunting. I imagine with drones becoming more accessible, this is going to come into play more, and CPW is going to be looking for ways to catch people.

Not gonna lie, the cameras on their drones are very good. Its the sending of all flight info (pics included) back to China that is a problem, along with not being ruggedized.
    You can use a CADDX or DJI camera system but that is limited and doesn't export the video (no capability) whereas the DJI drones have WIFI capability on their flight control stacks.

The thing that sucks with DJI is their range (very limited as opposed to analog) and sometimes the latency. I think the HD Zero might have made something good recently. I have to look again.

I don't know about other states, but in CO it is illegal to do air surveillance of a hunting area within 24 or 48 hours of hunting. I imagine with drones becoming more accessible, this is going to come into play more, and CPW is going to be looking for ways to catch people.
    Yep, pretty sure that is not legal in just about every state. I don't see drones as more accessible at this time. before all the covid BS drones were a plenty with no restrictions. With current FAA 107 rules and price increases we see people getting into it but I am not sure on what scale.

Yep, pretty sure that is not legal in just about every state. I don't see drones as more accessible at this time. before all the covid BS drones were a plenty with no restrictions. With current FAA 107 rules and price increases we see people getting into it but I am not sure on what scale.
    Well, at least in Tx you can officially hunt hogs legally with a drone. Who registers? lol I have two thermals drones.... Theyre registered just like my braces will be ..... pinkie promise

Well, at least in Tx you can officially hunt hogs legally with a drone. Who registers? lol I have two thermals drones.... Theyre registered just like my braces will be ..... pinkie promise
    Tracking, people just need to be aware of the risk and then they can make their own decisions.

I have a thermal autel. Been sitting here for
    Months.

They easy to drive or will I crash it without experience

Correct. I should have been more clear.
    Part that sucks is for FPV you need a spotter and it must remain in the line of sight. I don't see FAA granting FRIA's which is BS. I live out in the boondocks, why can't the FAA grant me a permanent or annual fria for my farm? Anyways

OK so I read the FAA decison on this remote ID issue.

As I understand it, only homemade drones weighing less than 0.55 lbs, DoD drones and a few select others don't have to comply. I think this means that any commercially made drone, even previous versions, must comply with this ruling. So external remote identifiers will need to be attached to the drones we all currently have. I will need to talk to a FAA rep or lawyer to get this confirmed.

BLUF: all have to comply best I can tell.

OK so I read the FAA decison on this remote ID issue.

As I understand it, only homemade drones weighing less than 0.55 lbs, DoD drones and a few select others don't have to comply. I think this means that any commercially made drone, even previous versions, must comply with this ruling. So external remote identifiers will need to be attached to the drones we all currently have. I will need to talk to a FAA rep or lawyer to get this confirmed.

BLUF: all have to comply best I can tell.
    All fully built drones must have RID from the manufacturer come 16 Sept. I can buy parts or a partially (incomplete) drone and finish it without RID but I would be flying in violation.

DOD for operational security reasons.

Reactions: BurtG and lariat
    All fully built drones must have RID from the manufacturer come 16 Sept. I can buy parts or a partially (incomplete) drone and finish it without RID but I would be flying in violation.

DOD for operational security reasons.
    This is how I read it as well. I understand the reasoning and am not unhappy with it.

While they give Taliban $6 trillion in arms?

Fuck .gov and their bs

We have enough laws.

If it was about

They’d close the f ing border
    Not sure what ID'ing drones in flight so planes can see them and avoid crashes has to do with the Taliban, but OK.

I have a thermal autel. Been sitting here for
    Months.

They easy to drive or will I crash it without experience

I have had a DJI Mini 2 for a little while and it's pretty hard to crash. I would expect Autel's and other pro-sumer brands to be pretty much the same.

I use mine mostly for mustering sheep and cattle in steeper country at low-ish heights( <3m, under tree height) and maneuverability is great. It only ever really goes down when I'm not paying attention and run it into something outside the view of the camera.

Find an open paddock, get to a height above any obstacles and just poke around a bit. You will work it out pretty quickly.