• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Getting older sucks on the eyes

• Thread starter Deleted member 10043
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10043

You can't shoot if you can't see. My vision used to be "so-called" 20/20. Now it is more like 20/35. In other words, what a normal person sees at 35 feet I see at 20 feet. Corrected vision or not and all other things relevant I started out on the Remington Model 40 using what a young Marine in Vietnam used, 3-9x40. That was fine for a while. I moved up to what a young Marine would use on the M40A1, which is fixed 10x. That has been working okay but I'm noticing anything past 400 meters is getting worse on accuracy over time. So, I did a little weighted average calculations and determined that with my vision I should be using at least 14x power scope to get my sight handicap on par with someone with 20/20 vision. So, I purchased an identical scope as my 10x only it is 16x. That should compensate for several years of normal eye sight deterioration. I hope. Anyway, it sucks.

Corrected vision and scope magnification aside, normal eye deterioration has to be relevant to accuracy. I can't possibly be seeing the same sight picture of an 10" x 8" target as a person with "normal" eyesight at 550 meters using the same 10x scope.

I guess this topic falls under range report. It's a phenomenon I've been experiencing over a course of many years.

Re: Getting older sucks on the eyes

It's not always about age - I am one of the "less than 1 percent" with Lasik surgery gone bad. That was over 10 years ago.

I've been 20/45 in left eye and 20/80 in right ever since and no they can't fix it.

Used to be right eye dominant - have learned to shoot left handed with rifles and pistols to use the better eye. Can't manage the shotgun lefty but can do OK with that.

I won't even mention the night vision flaring of signs and lights.

Now the age thing has required me to use reading glasses for anything under 3 feet.

So don't feel bad raising the power on your scope to compensate.

Does suck on the eyes and it's not much better on the back and rest of the joints
wink.gif

+ 1 the eyes are tough to adjust to, but the joints (knees for my specifically) are what keep me from running or riding a bike anymore. I frigg'n HATE that.

Jeffvn

just a thought, but have you tried getting contacts? After a couple days of getting used to putting them in, they are easy to use... Even if just for when you go shooting.

@Culpeper, I'm with you. I chose not to use contacts for a bunch of reasons (mostly medical).

Now using optics (binos, spotting scope, riflescope) excessively. At the last class I attended, it was funny:

- See the target?
- Where?
- There on the field line!
- No, what are the marks?
- Just before the tree line and to the right.
......<a few more iterations like the above>.....
- OK, now I got it!
...<boom> ... <bang>...

And then the scope helps nailing it and ringing the gong.
wink.gif

Sounds very familiar
smile.gif

I have the problems Culpeper talks abou as well. Flare in night vision or long range dim light on a bright bull. Have to pick which bull to shoot at sometimes! Pistol sights are difficult,so far Trijicon night sights seem best. Ghost ring approach seems to have a lot of promise for open sights on rifles and slug guns. But now long range optics are an issue for me too. Anybody know where to find the facts on shooting with older eyes? I hate to do all the researching, rather than go shooting!

Ditto on the eyes, knees and in my case back.

Hey brother I agree getting older sucks. I have been pained to admit it but I find my Vortex Razor became my favorite optic and is not completely about resolution I really love the big numbers on the turrets and are easier to read. I like my USO for clarity; however, the numbers on the EREK can be hard to read without glasses...too sad!

Getting older may suck, but the alternative is worse. Any day above ground is a good day.

Oh, and I was 61 last week....

Regards to all the old guys,

Bob

I am about the same age as you guys and found a few years ago I could not see the front sights of my pistol which makes IDPA difficult.

My salvation came when my new optometrist recommended a new set of “bifocal contact lens”. I was of course skeptical since I have been wearing contacts since the 70s and they never work that well, however having tried them now for 2 years, I would say they are wonderful.

Not only can I see my targets and my pistol sights but I can actually read the menu at the restaurants. With the lenses, I can usually outshoot accuracy wise guys who are less than half my age. Recently shot a 2 gun locally and after shooting four stages was only 6 points down, could not have done it without the lenses.

The only thing is since I am an “old” contact lens user, I can wear the hard lens and this compared to the soft ones they pawn off on everyone nowadays gives much better visual acuity. If you can wear hard lenses, I would highly recommend them!

I have to agree on the eyes. I'm to the point of barely being able to see the front sight, but my long distance doesn't require correction unless I'm driving at night. My reading glasses are 1.75 diopter but I still can't pick up a front blade. Buying shooting glasses for competition would be fine but I would hate to be in a defense situation and have to tell a bad guy he needs to wait just a second so I can put my glasses on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does suck on the eyes and it's not much better on the back and rest of the joints
wink.gif
</div></div>

Amen brother!